PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Observations about the ride

What are some things that you noticed this year that are different from last year (and years prior)?

My observations:
1. Way less fat tire bikes
2. I haven’t seen any bike boomboxes (excluding mine) 😉
3. More people staying toward the right

Now, I literally just thought of the reason for #3…I now leave at 6:00 AM (as opposed to 9:00 last year). Interpretation: older folks and/or more experienced riders start out earlier?

87 Replies

jelly0317, July 30, 2019 at 6:30 pm

I think that the issue with NW Iowa may have more to do with Steve King than a perceived lack of hills.

Sandaltan ., July 30, 2019 at 7:13 pm

I drank one TailWind in Council Bluffs…yep paid seven bucks, ouch, didn’t like it even a little bit. My preference runs to the dark beers. New Belgium’s 1554 has a permanent place in my refrigerator. On the ride Busch Light, as in years past, took care of my beer cravings.

RIDE RIGHT

SFC JKL 2, July 30, 2019 at 8:27 pm

When we had teams pulling big stereos, we had a lot of good music on the route. Now that anyone can go to Walmart and get a blutooth speaker for their water bottle holder, 90% of it is crap. Electronic dance beats, completely unknown crap, or something where every other word is a f word or ethnic slur. Bring back the spoolers any day.

Sunflower, July 30, 2019 at 10:39 pm

I think that the issue with NW Iowa may have more to do with Steve King than a perceived lack of hills.

The issue is the NYT taking him completely out of context. But you do you.

T. Gap Woo, July 31, 2019 at 8:18 am

The issue is the NYT taking him completely out of context. But you do you.

Whoa! Slow down! This forum is supposed to be bicycle-related and about all things cycling. It ought to be politics-free. To paraphrase Barney Fife, “We’ve got to nip it in the bud!” Take the political discussion to a more appropriate forum.

End of rant. See you along the I-O-Way next year.

mrbill3818, July 31, 2019 at 9:59 am

Who sets the price on the beer? I think it was day two I bought the same beer at the meeting town, and it was $3 or $4.

Brady Bisgard, July 31, 2019 at 10:55 am

Who sets the price on the beer? I think it was day two I bought the same beer at the meeting town, and it was $3 or $4.

Those are the towns that set the prices. RAGBRAI Expo prices at the beer tent I believe were set by them and they were excessive. A Gatorade was $5!!

hnschipper, July 31, 2019 at 11:42 am

My biggest pet peeve of the week was the camping situation at City Park in Centerville. A charter had a huge area of the park roped off for their group, and used probably a third of it at most. There was a whole lot of flat open space left inside the roped off area that sat empty all night. Meanwhile, those of us not with that charter had very rough, hilly ground to use for tenting. I wish charters would just rope off what they actually needed and leave some space for the rest of us.

Mike Howe, July 31, 2019 at 12:40 pm

Im thankful for those people with the walmart bluetooth speakers. Its good to hear people playing something other than AC/DC and Guns n Roses.

Sunflower, July 31, 2019 at 1:52 pm

https://youtu.be/yv7UJLOyERs

We’ve also got the Pet Shop Boys and Seal.

My son came up with an aphorism about RAGBRAI music when he was 10. “If it rocks we can’t keep up with it and if its piano jazz we can’t get away from it.”

As long it its not piano jazz, I’m down.

patrsnw, August 1, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Read all, or most of, the 55 replies (so far) and I gotta say that I agree, and disagree. That pretty much covers it.

1. Saw a few e-Bikes and if they get folks out on the road, great. I didn’t see enough of them to matter, much.
2. The roads were better than many years. My fillings are still in place, I have no broken spokes, and didn’t have any flats. Every year will have some trashy roads, some will have a lot of trashy roads.
3. I thought there were more boomboxes than usual, and only a few were playing music that I cared for. When I didn’t care for the music, I dropped back or passed.

This was RAGBRAI #22 for me and I hadn’t trained as I should have so the hills hurt. Still, I got over them (rimshot!) and the ride was what the ride usually is – different for each person. And it’ll be different again next year.

Oh, and I never saw the “official” beer of RAGBRAI and wouldn’t have spent $7 for one, anyway. If I wanted a beer I’d go to a real store. Vendors are welcome to charge whatever folks will pay so I can’t, and won’t, fault them.

Just saw Sunflower’s post about RAGBRAI music. My thought regarding RAGBRAI music is “If you can’t be good, be loud.” I look forward to being as far from the entertainment as I can be. (Yeah, I’m old and crotchety.)

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  patrsnw.

francoisvanzyl, August 1, 2019 at 1:03 pm

It took till day three for me to hear the RAGBRAI anthem — Sweet Caroline. Cannot stand that song but it has become synonymous with RAGBRAI in my mind and I actually missed it the first two days.

LawnchairMan, August 2, 2019 at 12:23 pm

I was underwhelmed by this ride.
There is never a guarantee of smooth roads, but lots of rough roads gets annoying.
I was not impressed by the Highway Patrol. I expected them to direct traffic. What I saw was officers just standing there letting me make sure I was safe to cross. And crossing the 218 there were no police anywhere!
Four foods that make my Ragbrai are pie, pulled pork, watermelon and sweet corn. I got the pie. I was first at Kelly’s Berry Best Pies, and it WAS good! I found so-so pulled pork, and average watermelon, but the one corn I had was not sweet. It had a weird aftertaste. I only saw corn the first few days. I assume the weather had something to do with that. (I got out too soon for the free corn)
I had a couple of spaghetti dinners early in the week but couldn’t find one the night before century day. That’s when I need to stoke up.
The thing that made me mad was being forced into the pass through towns. I couldn’t believe the 18 wheeler parked across the road. Other rides had barricades that could be skirted if I wished. I understand the towns wanting to make sales, but I should have the choice. If I’m not hungry and have enough water, then I just want to roll on. Forcing me into town just makes me want to keep my money in my pocket.
Camping in Council Bluffs was not pleasant. We were in a soybean field with eight inch stubble to pitch our tents. It was more dirt than plant, so when I heard the thunder and sprinkles I packed up. Later risers got mud on their shoes. The good thing about the sprinkles was that I got to Atlantic before any serious rain.
I didn’t bring my sound system this year. When I did, I selected songs that were either up-beat or had something connected to roads. Several riders thanked me for the Sousa marching tunes when climbing. It does help! I finally got tired of the same songs, so I left the extra weight at home. I heard only a couple of riders with boomboxes while I rode. Our choice of music didn’t match, but neither did our speeds.
I stayed overnight at the end of the ride. I had thought it would be interesting to see the swell and ebb of riders coming and leaving. What I felt was a loss. All my Ragbrai friends left. I’m a big boy and can handle being alone, but it caught me off guard. Had a bunch of friends stayed, it would have been different.
So, I didn’t have as much fun this year as I had in the past. I can assume that next year will be better! I will make sure that what ever I lean my bike on won’t fall over. (reference to Weird Thing post)

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  LawnchairMan.

Brady Bisgard, August 2, 2019 at 2:25 pm

Read all, or most of, the 55 replies (so far) and I gotta say that I agree, and disagree. That pretty much covers it.

1. Saw a few e-Bikes and if they get folks out on the road, great. I didn’t see enough of them to matter, much.
2. The roads were better than many years. My fillings are still in place, I have no broken spokes, and didn’t have any flats. Every year will have some trashy roads, some will have a lot of trashy roads.
3. I thought there were more boomboxes than usual, and only a few were playing music that I cared for. When I didn’t care for the music, I dropped back or passed.

This was RAGBRAI #22 for me and I hadn’t trained as I should have so the hills hurt. Still, I got over them (rimshot!) and the ride was what the ride usually is – different for each person. And it’ll be different again next year.

Oh, and I never saw the “official” beer of RAGBRAI and wouldn’t have spent $7 for one, anyway. If I wanted a beer I’d go to a real store. Vendors are welcome to charge whatever folks will pay so I can’t, and won’t, fault them.

Just saw Sunflower’s post about RAGBRAI music. My thought regarding RAGBRAI music is “If you can’t be good, be loud.” I look forward to being as far from the entertainment as I can be. (Yeah, I’m old and crotchety.)

You never saw the official Tailwind beer? Lol did you not go to a single beer tent. It was at every single official one on the route.

patrsnw, August 2, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Exactly, Brady. Not one single beer tent. Not this year, not last, not the year before. Not ever, and my first RAGBRAI was 1995.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014