You asked what I love the best,
tis me, tis me,
The fairest ride director of all the west,
tis me, O! me,

From where Missouri’s waters gleam
To yonder Mississippi’s stream
O! unfair Register team it is as poet’s dream,
O! me, In Iowa.

Go read the mere story of TJ past and forget 47 years of RAGBRAI fast.
O! me, O! me,
What horrible deeds, what damage The Register did to my ego so I destroyed Iowa’s best!
O! me, O! me,

So long as my time’s remembered great with my “Impostor Ride” who cares about Iowa’s true ride,
Or thousands of bicyclists weep their lost legacy
Thou’lt not forget thy ego and yet forget the greatness of Iowa’s ride,
O! TJ, O! TJ.

8 Replies

mootsman, October 21, 2019 at 9:14 am

TJ has done a lot for RAGBRAI and no matter what you think of his new ride, this is not cool… I suggest deleting this thread,

klkoopman, October 21, 2019 at 9:35 am

TJ has done a lot for RAGBRAI because he was paid a salary to do a lot for RAGBRAI. Don’t quite understand the elevated status assigned to him, that he is somehow above criticism……or satire.

KenH, October 21, 2019 at 9:43 am

“The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones.”

I think Kurt is right on the mark here. The TJ I though I knew seems to have gone missing and an impostor is running around Iowa in his place, ruining his reputation. This message needs to get to TJ. His friends need to tell him that he is going over to the dark side, not fighting for truth, justice, and the American way. He needs to pull up short and come up with a better, more noble plan for a new ride. If not, he will go down in history as the fool who tried to pull off a coup d’etat and failed or the villain who killed RAGBRAI and erected his own evil empire on its corpse. There is no up side for him in the eyes of history under his current plan.

The Register is trying to redeem itself.

Carson King is trying to redeem himself.

Aaron Calvin, last I heard, doesn’t really seem to feel that he did anything wrong. He seems to feel that the fault, dear Brutus, is not in ourselves but in our stars who have treated us unfairly.

TJ has a choice to make. He can follow the Register’s example which is Carson King’s example. Or he can follow Aaron Calvin, Brutus, and Cassius into infamy.

The choice is his. There is still time for him to make a better choice. The TJ I thought that I knew would make a better choice from the many that are open to him. If he stays his current course he will continue to hear things like this whether the Register shuts this thread down or not. And whatever barbs people through his way will be barbs he has earned with his own choices.

Joe Elswick, October 21, 2019 at 10:40 am

I haven’t seen DMR trying to redeem themselves. I’ve seen them trying to make what they did go away by hiring a PR firm. They’ve stood behind what they did to Carson as ‘journalism’. Personally, digging up and publishing something a 16 year old (minor), sophomore in high school tweeted 8-10 years ago is nothing but sensationalism. DMR trying to capitalize on someones 15 minutes of fame by reporting something salacious about them. DMR did and does not care about what it did to this young mans life. It only cares about its profits. Typical of the modern media in this country.

mootsman, October 21, 2019 at 10:56 am

Missing the point. Its not cool to slam or mock people on a public forum at all much less someone who has helped improve RAGBRAI for many years. Who cares if he was paid, he worked hard on it. He deserves our respect for all he’s done. I can understand how putting on a competing ride seems like bad form but that doesn’t excuse a lot of adolescent trolling.

bugs11, October 21, 2019 at 10:59 am

Ode To DMR

$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$

$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$
$$$$$$$$$$

klkoopman, October 21, 2019 at 12:30 pm

It’s amazing that, after many years of reading this forum, not once has anyone raised the issue that the Des Moines Register sponsors the RAGBRAI event (for 47 years) because they are money-grubbing greedy bastards. If anyone can find such a post, please point it out. I think most people have said “You know what, $175 to support this ride and have a lot of fun for an entire week is a pretty good deal”.

RAGBRAI, October 21, 2019 at 1:38 pm

The spirit of the forums have always been to maintain civil discourse and conversation with one another. In that spirit we are going to disable the comments on this thread and post this comment out of respect for those who started it and responded so they understand our intentions before we delete it. If you have concerns over that please reach out to Anne Lawrie at info@ragbrai.com and she will be happy to talk through our decision with you.

The topic ‘Ode to TJ’s Ego’ is closed to new replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015