RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

ok, what about bugs….

i don’t know anything about iowa bugs. what should i expect?

31 Replies

wildbill, May 27, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Nat’s and mosquitoes.

jwsknk, May 27, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Skeeters, chiggers in some grass maybe, flies, most will annoy a few might bite.

jwsknk, May 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

‘skeeters, maybe chiggers in some grass, flies, most will annoy, a few might bite.

Sandaltan ., May 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm

No fire ants.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, May 27, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Expect enough bugs for everyone!!!!!!

mentor58, May 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Pssst…. I don’t want to spread rumors, but I’ve heard that SandalTan once paid MichRider 5 bucks to eat a june bug. The jokes on SandalTan, because I’ve heard that MichRider will do it for kerb space.

Steve
Oh, Don’t forget ‘sweat bees’. I really hate ’em, and I’m sure there are plenty up there.

Tony, May 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Skitters, nats, and horse fly’s. Will be the biggest pests. The bugs haven’t been to bad this year… so far. The horse fly’s love to bite ankles and legs. To keep the biting pest away. Apply Skin So Soft or Absorbine Jr. They both work very well. I do want to share a pic of a skitter I took. This is an average size skitter from McCausland, Ia. McCausland is just west of Clinton. We lovingly call them Wapsi Skitters. They fly in squadrons. Beware!!!! LOL

The towns moto is “Everyone knows your name and the Skitters know your blood type”

OhioCyclone, May 27, 2012 at 11:26 pm

That might me a may fly or dragon fly offspring, dont know about a skeeter though.

As far as bugs, all kinds, most are small, all are annoying, but just a part of nature. Wear sunglasses and swallow occasionally and you should be fine. Just a little extra protein for the ride. Use some type of repelant in the earlier hours of the evening. And DO NOT leave your tent screen open at night. You will not be happy come morning time. All in all it is your average array of summertime Midwestern insect population.

Yeah the bees can be annoying too. Mostly there for the gatorade and beer residues. wont harm you if you dont harm them. At least not usually. I check my cup, can or bottle, regardless. LAst thing I want is a flying, stinging insect in my mouth.

Cheers from ohio

Camel, May 28, 2012 at 3:31 pm

If you want to know about insects come to CT. I’ve attended three RAGBRAI’s and can remember counting about 6 mosquitos during my three weeks in Iowa. I also remember spraying my insect repellent around the outside of my tent because of some ants one year. Other than that, you may experience some biting flies if the showers are near a stable or livestock area. Not a lot of insect activity

Iceman, May 28, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Relatively speaking, you have no bugs in Iowa. Down here, they live for years.

Sandaltan ., May 28, 2012 at 4:53 pm

iceman:
Relatively speaking, you have no bugs in Iowa.Down here, they live for years.

The Little Stoker echoes your sentiments. She says they (bugs live forever in the South.

Kublakhan469, May 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I heard the bugs were so Big in Iowa, that they have bones!

Iceman, May 28, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Down here they live so long, we give them names.

tjdale, May 28, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Camel:
If you want to know about insects come to CT. I’ve attended three RAGBRAI’s and can remember counting about 6 mosquitos during my three weeks in Iowa.I also remember spraying my insect repellent around the outside of my tent because of some ants one year.Other than that, you may experience some biting flies if the showers are near a stable or livestock area. Not a lot of insect activity

I have to agree. I have done 5 RAGBRAI’s and have not been pestered at all, with the exception of ants at times. I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland where the state bird is a mosquito. I would not worry about bugs on RAGBRAI at all!

GetAClue Blue, May 28, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I live 40 miles south of Houston, close to the coast. I went outside tonight to get something from my workshop. After i got a few feet from the house, a gang of mosquitoes came up behind me and pushed me to the ground. A pack of them pinned me to the ground while thousands of them began taking my blood. I yelled for help and a neighbor came running over armed with a can of Deep Woods Off. They were dragging me to the back alley just before the neighbor got to me and saturated the area with Off which made them let me go. I crawled to the back door and quickly slammed the door behind me as I stumbled into the house. They kept knocking on the door and trying to break the glass but I wouldn’t let them in so they finally gave up and started looking for another victim at a different location.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI