RAGBRAI LI July 20 -27, 2024

Online Waivers

Thank you RAGBRAI. This will be the best year ever.

15 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, November 15, 2011 at 7:13 am

cwmurray said: Thank you RAGBRAI. This will be the best year ever.

???????
I don’t see the connection between the subject of the post and the post itself.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, November 15, 2011 at 7:35 am

Beebs, I think cwmurray is happy that there is no paper waiver this year.  The implementation of an on-line waiver will please a lot of people!!!

jwsknk, November 15, 2011 at 8:27 am

on-line waiver done. Here we go again.

tjdale, November 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Like the online wavers!!!!

Thoreau, November 19, 2011 at 10:28 am

Wait, there is no paper waiver to send in this year?  Is this right?  I just went to check the status for my registration and it says my entry is finalized.  I thought this was an error but having read the posts above, now realize that the paper form that you send in after is a thing of the past.  Can someone just tell me if I have this right?

jwsknk, November 19, 2011 at 11:00 am

Only minors still need the paper waiver

Michrider !!!, November 19, 2011 at 11:34 am

Sandaltan ., November 19, 2011 at 11:49 am

I like Wavees.   Much better for dipping because they don’t break of in the dip.

RIDE RIGHT

Thoreau, November 20, 2011 at 10:23 am

Thanks, jwsknk.  I love having my registration in and then starting to think about my training and other things I need to do to prepare.  One of my goals this year to be better able to maintain my bike and make simple repairs.

jsn005, November 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Alrighty… as a Ragbrai newbie I am thinking that since I paid for the registration I am IN!!! But someone just told me I have to wait for the lottery. Is that true?
Waiver on line sped the process!

Also, noticed that fee included bag transportation and camp site- why then the need for charter services??

Thanks in advance for the info. Oh,  and I am riding solo-do I need a team?

Michrider !!!, November 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm

jsn005 said: Alrighty… as a Ragbrai newbie I am thinking that since I paid for the registration I am IN!!! But someone just told me I have to wait for the lottery. Is that true?Waiver on line sped the process!

Also, noticed that fee included bag transportation and camp site- why then the need for charter services??

Thanks in advance for the info. Oh,  and I am riding solo-do I need a team?

Yes, we all have to wait till May 1, when the lottery results will be announced. Another yes to RAGBRAI hauling your luggage. this is the info on baggage transportation, https://ragbrai.com/about/general-information/#5

Charter service is just added comforts for those (like me), who are willing to pay for that service!

Tony, November 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Welcome to RAGBRAI JSN. I’m the charter director for the Quad Cities Bicycle Club. We are the 6th largest bike club in the US. We have the largest group/team on the ride. I believe the 3rd or 4th largest charter service.  Anyhow, I’ will try to answer your questions  the about charters. If you use the RAGBRAI service that comes with the tag. You will be camping at main campgrounds. There is a lot of congestion and noise at the main campgrounds in general. Especial if they are together with the entertainment and vendors. Charters and larger teams arrange with the over night towns campsites that are more appropriate for their size and demeanor. Many towns have what is called quiet campsites. Allot of RAGBRAI’ers go to bed early to get a 5AM start. This is to take advantage of the cooler rider conditions of Iowa mornings. Along with having preselected campsites. They setup riders lounges with canopies, lawn chairs, and cold beverages. Its extremely nice to riding to camp and relax in the shade with a cold beverage waiting for you. Baggage handlers for teams and charters will have your baggage laid out on the ground to be easily found. It can be a nightmare to find your baggage with the RAGBRAI trucks. Some charter services put up and take down your tents daily for an extra fee. Many have there own camp shower setups. Or place there campsite next to a facility with hot showers. The main campgrounds do have shower vendors. But the lines can be very long. Some charters and teams provide transportation to and from RAGBRAI. As an expample. QCBC’s departure point for RAGBRAI is Bettendorf, IA. We load bikes on a semi to be transported to the RAGBRAI start town and passengers ride on luxury motor coaches from this load site. We provide long term covered parking for our riders vehicles at our load site. For some out of town riders. We assist hotel accommodations in the Quad Cities. Several of our riders are from overseas. The Quad Cities has an international airport. We assist transport to/from the airport. We also work with local bike shops. Some members ship there bikes to them from out of state or country. Depending on where you live. There can be allot of logistics just getting to RAGBRAI. A big consideration for our club members is our Preferred Charter Service. A very few select groups have been given the privileged of being guaranteed entry. Their members do not go through the lottery process. RAGBRAI reserves entry for these groups. QCBC is one of those groups. We are limited to how many of these tags we get. So its first come first serve with our members. The vast majority of charters, teams, and individuals must participate in the lottery. RAGBRAI limits the amount of official riders to 10,000 daily. Most years ther is alway more applicants than tags. So that why there is a lottery. It results are posted May 1. Because of cancellations. Most riders that do not make the lottery find tags before the ride.  The QCBC and all other official charter services must require all riders to have valid ride tags. QCBC does have a Basic Service for non members. We except applications ahead of the lottery. But after May 1 you must supply us with your RAGBRAI ID number or your registration with the charter will be rejected. I hope that fills you in on charter services.

As a solo rider you do not need a team. Many choose to ride RAGBRAI solo. There are many advantages to be with a team. After your first RAGBRAI all the mystery will be gone. You will have a better idea whats best for you. Some time in February. QCBC will be having a RAGBRAI for Rookies free seminar. I’ll post it on the forms and Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/QCBCRAI

Sandaltan ., November 20, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Jsn005:  Much of the RAGBRAI mystery can be cleared up by reading the FAQs and related info under the   “About RAGBRAI”   tab above.   Welcome to RAGBRAI Nation.

RIDE RIGHT

jsn005, November 20, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Thanks Sandaltan, Michrider and Tony for answering back so quickly… I had read the FAQ’s  and somehow misunderstood the lottery aspect. I guess I thought it was for after capacity situations. My bad. Hmmm… now my excitement wains. Waiting until May to make plans??? I was tossing the idea of a Habitat for Humanity in Africa. Can’t wait to make plans for the last minute on that one… shoot fire. Guess I should have done more research. Thanks again for the info and for having this forum available for questions and support.
j

Michrider !!!, November 20, 2011 at 6:59 pm

jsn005 said: Thanks Sandaltan, Michrider and Tony for answering back so quickly… I had read the FAQ’s  and somehow misunderstood the lottery aspect. I guess I thought it was for after capacity situations. My bad. Hmmm… now my excitement wains. Waiting until May to make plans??? I was tossing the idea of a Habitat for Humanity in Africa. Can’t wait to make plans for the last minute on that one… shoot fire. Guess I should have done more research. Thanks again for the info and for having this forum available for questions and support. j

jsn, you got your submission in on time and chances are you’ll be selected.  We’ve all done this before, we’ll all get in, trust us! 

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters