Join Us in July - Register Today!

Openings for two in a motorhome

It’s been an interesting year, as usual for my small team, the Old Rocketeers. There are three of us traveling in a small motorhome and our plan was just to split the driving among us on a schedule that has us changing drivers at the meeting town most days to give each of us an even split of driving versus riding. But now one of my friends has been blindsided by something that has hit him and his family and he may not be able to attend at all this year. He was only planning to be there Sunday through Thursday actually.

So, if anyone would like to try doing RAGBRAI in a motorhome you can contact me. You will be required to drive the motorhome part of the time so if you don’t feel comfortable with that or don’t want to lose any time on the bike it is not an option for you. At the moment I am sure that I have bunk space for up to two people who don’t mind sleeping together in the cabover bunk of a class C motorhome (its a little cozy up there but it is fine for a couple). If my friend does need to drop out I would have a third bunk available that sleeps one just fine and could sleep two but it is REALLY cozy for two.

I just ask the people who sleep in the motorhome to split the cost of the gas for the week with me and of course help with the driving. If you happen to have a friend or family member who has always wanted to come along to RAGBRAI but doesn’t want to ride (or sleep in a tent!) and who can drive a small (21 foot) class C motorhome, let’s talk, that would solve two problems for me!

We three are 50 to 65, mild mannered, early to bed, early to rise types. We will be traveling at least part of the week with a larger team with a wider range of ages and temperaments.

6 Replies

Kat, June 19, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Hi – so you all with be sharing driving and biking all of RAGBRAI? If so my hubby and I would be interested if your friend needs to bail.

KenH, June 20, 2017 at 11:25 am

Hi Kat, yes we are planning to do the whole week, Orange City to Lansing. One of the three amigos was planning to leave us Friday morning and now he may need to bail out on the whole week. Whether he comes or not I would have the cabover bunk available so if you two are interested let me know as I should be able to accommodate you regardless of what he decides he needs to do to give his family the support they need.

Kat, June 20, 2017 at 2:22 pm

We are interested – I just wanna make sure you will be driving back from Lansing to Orange city as well right?

KenH, June 20, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Well, I think the answer is no but perhaps I am misinterpreting your question. We all live in the Chicago metro area. We were not planning to drive to/through Lansing at the beginning of the ride but things are not going according to plan so we could potentially route through Lansing at the beginning of the ride to pick you up and take you to Orange City with us, if that is what you are asking. At the end of the ride we will be heading more or less directly from Lansing east to the Chicago area. So we are not going back to Orange City at the end of the ride and I think that is what you were hoping we would do. Sorry if that is the case.

Kat, June 20, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Hi Ken – we are from Colorado and will be parking our car in OC – and we were looking for a ride to and from OC…to get back to car. Thanks anyway :)

KenH, June 26, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Things have worked out for us with the result that we have no openings left beyond one person I am still conversing with. Thanks for looking!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters