Registration is open for RAGBRAI L!

Options for moving RV from one town to the next

I am interest in doing my first ride this summer. I am looking see if there is a service that would help me move my rv to the next town each day. That could be someone driving it, or me driving it to the next site and getting a ride back to that morning starting point. I am looking at doing 2-3 days of the ride
Thanks for any info.

24 Replies

UtahSlacker, February 16, 2022 at 4:15 pm

Shades,
Where are you coming from? We are out of Salt Lake City, UT and are riding the whole week. If you are based in the west, maybe we can arrange a driver for your RV. I private messaged you my cell number.

UtahSlacker

Uncle Kraig, February 16, 2022 at 7:20 pm

You’ll need to find / hire a driver. They are usually found without too much difficulty. These forums are a good place to start and you’ll likely find a driver pretty easily. You’d be amazed how many older, retired riders who cant quite ride anymore still enjoy the experience and are willing to drive for a pretty nominal fee.

UtahSlacker, February 16, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Shades,
We already have everything you need to set up for a driver as well as traveling/riders to help split the cost and help with the driving to Iowa. Please contact me at the cell number I have sent to your private message. Just need to know if you are coming from the west to coordinate a pick up/meeting area? Again, if you can get back to me asap we can talk logistics. Thanks.

UtahSlacker

Martin Tasch, March 15, 2022 at 3:44 pm

We are also looking to move RV from town to town. Originating in Chicago, we would drive it to starting point in West, return home immediately after Lansing. We need driver to move it each day. Sounds like UtahSlacker has a company for this, and knows how to get this done. I would welcome a call to discuss.

UtahSlacker, March 16, 2022 at 9:37 am

Martin,
I have private messaged you my cell. Call me and we can start this discussion.

UtahSlacker

AlwaysaHawkeye, March 20, 2022 at 9:41 am

What we’re doing…
I’ve ridden the full route the last 5 years and my husband is retiring in June and wants to come try the ride.
We’re driving from Georgia and pulling a vehicle. Our plan is to drive the RV and drop vehicle in the meeting or end town the night before. Then drive the RV back to the overnight town. Ride the next day to our vehicle, put bikes on, drive back to RV, hookup and drive vehicle to next drop point and then drive RV back to overnight. Repeat each day!
Might be a bit of a pain but hubby only wants to ride partial days and this seems like the best scenario for us to try!

This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by AlwaysaHawkeye.

Niles, March 20, 2022 at 8:32 pm

@AlwaysaHawkeye: I’m always amazed by people bring the gigantic pillow on flight, and those with full trunk of packages for an overnight trip. But girl, I have to say you might have over done all of them. Two thumps up for your effort, haha.

garywilk, March 21, 2022 at 9:23 am

RV moving is a bit of a task. It takes longer than you may think with traffic and longer loop to the next town. We talked to one person last year that did what AlwaysaHawkeye mentioned and he was by himself but that was an all day adventure. Lucky my dad now drives the RV. Then just rides back a town or two revers route. 30 or 40 miles is about all he cares to ride in a day. A few years back my brother and or I drove it to the end town and rode back to the meet up town but we left early and rode hard back. That work fairly well.

HelenP, March 21, 2022 at 2:10 pm

AlwaysaHawkeye, another option is to bike out early in the cooler morning, then backtrack to the RV, and move it forward & set up in the new overnight town during the midday heat — then bike back west until you decide to turn around, to finish at the ready RV in the new overnight town. Your husband might even skip the afternoon ride, so you’d each get to do the amount of biking you’d like.

Vary how much biking is in morning or afternoon, depending on weather & terrain — better check how long it’s ok to leave the RV in the morning town, too. If you time it right, you could even stop the RV to enjoy the meeting town in the middle of the route.

Better yet, if your husband drove the RV forward alone from the meeting town, you could bike the the second half of the route solo, giving each of you your preferred amount of biking.

Note that you might be biking into some pass through towns at the wrong time for RAGBRAI support. Likewise for the Sag Wagon, although starting early would help with that — also, it won’t take you back to the morning town, and local taxis are scarce to absent in some towns.

LawnchairMan, March 21, 2022 at 11:38 pm

AlwaysaHawkeye
Sorry to butt in, but isn’t your RV moving going to be expensive? Coming from the West, I drive my car across Iowa twice so I have it waiting for me at the end-town. That costs me an extra hundred dollars.
It sounds like your motorhome will be driving forwards-back-forwards from each overnight town. That’s three trips across the state. Your car would drive one trip across the state. I’m guessing you would spend $500 to $600 in gas just in the state of Iowa. With gas prices going up it may be more. Then with all the hassle of traffic lines and finding a place to park wouldn’t it make more sense to camp? If you can’t stand tenting there are usually locals who will put riders up for a night. I think there is or will be a sign-up list.
Everyone is entitled to do Ragbrai the way they want, so more power to you. I just think you would have more fun to only worry about the ride, and it would save some cash. Just my humble opinion. Sorry to intrude.

Jadinovo, March 30, 2022 at 3:15 pm

Utah Slacker – can I get that info too? We will be driving from Maryland to the starting point. We have a potential driver, but she may back out if we can’t figure out water and electric hookups at each town.

garywilk, March 30, 2022 at 6:44 pm

Please do not back out. There will likely not be hook-ups but it is not a big deal. Each town has fill and dump sites and if you ration, you may only need to do this in the middle of the week. Generators will run till about 9 or 10 and then most of them shut off and open windows. It usually cools down but there may be a night or two you need to run it longer. We have done it many years and it really has never been an issue. I really only remember one night about 10 years ago when it was like 95 at 9:00. I just kept drinking beer until sleeping was not an issue. Getting going the next morning was but after some coffee and some food, all was good. It is a really good time for all.

AlwaysaHawkeye, March 31, 2022 at 12:01 am

I appreciate the suggestions about our plan of moving our RV and tow vehicle along the ride.
I’ve enjoyed every minute and mile of riding across the state and sleeping in a tent the last five RAGBRAI’s.
This year my sweet hubby who has never shown interest in RAGBRAI wants to ride half days to the meeting towns. I am beyond excited to ride with him! I don’t need to ride all day. We will take the afternoons after lunch to move vehicles so we can get settled to enjoy the overnight town’s festivities. He has no desire to sleep in a tent anymore. He’s a big guy with multiple joint replacements!
We have paid for the RV parking tag so I’m hoping there will be designated areas to park in the overnight towns and leave RV until early afternoon each day. We are parking at friends houses 2 nights and have reserved campsites with hookups in two of the towns. Luckily, we’re from Iowa, Hawkeye alumni (hubby played football) 🖤💛 and have friends in every overnight town to help us if we need extra assistance.
As far as gas, yep it’s going to be expensive but we just retired and it’s built into our “roaming the US for fun” budget!

Jadinovo, March 31, 2022 at 8:07 am

Thank you!! I’m feeling better already! There are a lot of “firsts” involved in this trip for me and my friends :-)

UtahSlacker, March 31, 2022 at 2:08 pm

Jadinovo,
I private messaged you my cell number. Call/text me to discuss details and options.
UtahSlacker

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI