RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

orange city town.

anyhow, i wonder what kind of town it is? and has ragbrai ever been there?Or used it as a starting town? I am excited just to be there this year.it was i will be a good ragbrai as i understand that this will be a bueatiful route. I wll start in this town and ride a few days

, and turn around and head back to sturgis. i meet a lot of people from iowa everyday who ride it all the time. they rave about how good it really is. I will buy some shirts and a few posters.I think i will get me a go pro just for the ride.I wonder what towns are a first on the route. Even ride through towns.The bike i will be riding is a fitness bike a fugi 1.1 22 lbs very nice. it has shimono 105’s on it.my problem is i have to find a person that will shuttle me in my van. thanks ride on!!!!!!

40 Replies

jwsknk, January 24, 2017 at 3:15 pm

We have passed through twice on Sundays. The second time there was a bit more as far as vendors. Never has started there. But. Orange City is a Dutch Reformed Church town, very much like Pella in a way. There used to be no business on Sunday at all, meaning from 11:59 pm Saturday until 00.01 Monday. a pretty dry town too. But last time slightly more relaxed. We will see what happens with them as a start town, Surely they know what they are getting into.

jwsknk, January 24, 2017 at 3:16 pm

Here’s a history of all towns and routes. http://www.geobike.com/geobike/gbmain.shtml

prince page, January 24, 2017 at 8:59 pm

wow, did not know they were that kind of town. wow, dry town, and they want to host ragbrai!!!!! well they better have some booze!! ha ha!!

lisa o, January 25, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Didn’t realize it was dry, but it was the first pass through town on first day in 2012. Very cute town!

TJ Juskiewicz, January 25, 2017 at 3:34 pm

please do not spread false information about Orange City… it is not a DRY town

Chris Miller, January 25, 2017 at 4:12 pm

I’m a New Englander and a second year RAGBRAI rider. One of the great features of RAGBRAI is the energy and hard work towns along the way, especially overnight towns, put into hosting the hordes that descend on them. Orange City looks like a fascinating town, connected to its heritage and already putting the work in. Check out their website…Orange City looks like a great place to start this ride. ragbrai.orangecityiowa.com.

KenH, January 25, 2017 at 10:49 pm

So, last year I decided to try to find a church in Glenwood that had a Saturday evening service. Probably not the first choice of activities for many of you but I ended up attending a very nice service at an absolutely packed Catholic church so I wasn’t the only RAGBRAI’er who had this idea.

When Orange City was announced I started looking for a church to attend this year. According to Google Maps there are 16 churches in OC. Eight of them are Reformed churches … do you think there is a possibility OC may have been settled by Dutch people? I hear they have a tulip festival too. So in those respects OC resembles Pella and Pella is one of my favorite RAGBRAI towns so far. I am sure the people of OC understand what RAGBRAI entails, in every respect, and I hear they are absolutely pumped to have the opportunity to be the start town. I don’t think you have anything to fear about OC.

Amanda, January 26, 2017 at 8:37 am

I do think Orange City will offer something to everyone. The Ragbrai families will love the parks for their children. The people who love history and all things dutch will love the buildings, museum and the people. The party people will enjoy the beverage garden and the restaurants/bar in town. No worries!

KenH, January 26, 2017 at 8:41 am

Are there any Dutch bakeries (like the two jewels in Pella) in Orange City? I have no fears about how Orange City will treat us but if there is a Dutch bakery in town my joy will be complete!

Amanda, January 26, 2017 at 8:45 am

Yes! The bakery is right on main street, across from the park. And check out Woudstra’s Meat Market. It has a variety of Dutch treats.

Brian Wallenburg, January 26, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Not to mention the best dried beef EVER! A quaint, cute, very clean little town, much like Pella. I’m guessing it will get great reviews, especially if you like food! It will likely have the best food the entire week.

T. Gap Woo, January 26, 2017 at 12:32 pm

KenH: Are there any Dutch bakeries (like the two jewels in Pella) in Orange City?

Mrs. Woo and I have the fondest memories of Pella, having spent two nights there during RAGBRAI 41 in 2013, even though it was not an overnight town. We even detoured into Pella in August 2013 on the way back east from daughter Woo’s Colorado wedding. Between the pies, S-cookies, architecture, flowers and people, we had a wonderful time. We look forward to returning to Pella in the future.

I understand that, years ago, people from Pella moved west and founded the city of Orange City. It seems to me that, basically, Pella was re-created in Orange City. Although the two places may have gone their separate ways, they still share that same common bond that makes them fine representatives of small-town Iowa. Mrs. Woo and I eagerly await our visit to Orange City!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

KenH, January 27, 2017 at 10:34 am

Pella was great, I talked about it so much when I got home in 2013 that Mrs. H put it on our list of places to see and we finally spent some time there last summer. Loved it! Might go to the tulip festival this year. Sounds like Orange City will be different but just as good.

We’ve now spent two vacations in Iowa and are thinking about retiring there. RAGBRAI seems to be having its intended effect on our lives at least!

Brian Wallenburg, January 27, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Ken, you wont be disappointed one bit. Matter of fact, similar to Pella, you may want to come back for their Tulip Festival.

vijay israni, January 28, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Thank you guys for the good feedback on Orange City. A little disappointed about some of the negative comments and misinformation.

Orange City has not been a host city before but have already started planning for the event and they will do a lovely job in hosting. http://ragbrai.orangecityiowa.com/

The city looks to be rich in Dutch History with influence from Pella.

I’m really looking forward to starting the ride in Orange City!!!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI