RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

orange city town.

anyhow, i wonder what kind of town it is? and has ragbrai ever been there?Or used it as a starting town? I am excited just to be there this year.it was i will be a good ragbrai as i understand that this will be a bueatiful route. I wll start in this town and ride a few days

, and turn around and head back to sturgis. i meet a lot of people from iowa everyday who ride it all the time. they rave about how good it really is. I will buy some shirts and a few posters.I think i will get me a go pro just for the ride.I wonder what towns are a first on the route. Even ride through towns.The bike i will be riding is a fitness bike a fugi 1.1 22 lbs very nice. it has shimono 105’s on it.my problem is i have to find a person that will shuttle me in my van. thanks ride on!!!!!!

40 Replies

Amanda, February 14, 2017 at 12:44 pm

I think people will be coming in both of those ways. Actually Hiway 60 shoots off 75 in LeMars and you can take 60 to K64 or all the way to Alton and come in from the east on 10. Some might come from Sioux Falls airport. Over to Hawarden and follow 10 to Orange City. Are you coming in on a bike or in a vehicle?

John Weber, February 14, 2017 at 1:06 pm

You maybe right, Amanda! I’ve ridden to Ireton, but not past it to the west. I was looking on google maps and thought it looked good. I’ll check it out and correct myself if need be.

jwsknk, February 14, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Bus from Ames, Probably 35 to 20 then then 143 north to 10. Or 35, 80, 29, 75 if we have to go that way to get DM people. So far north I want them to come to us to avoid that extra 75-90 minutes on the bus. When we get close depends on where we camp and come in as close as possible.

Luv 2 Ski, February 14, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Looking at Google maps it does seem that B58 west of K22(Dipper Rd) is dirt.

John Weber, February 14, 2017 at 6:31 pm

It was bugging me so I drove out there tonight. It does turn to gravel 3 miles west of Ireton at K22. Option would be to travel five miles from Hawarden to K22 on Hwy 10, or go north out of Hawarden to B46, east to K22, south to B58, turn east and go over to K64, then north to OC.
We will try to figure out a recommended route, and post in the future on the OC RAGBRAI website.
Sorry about the misinformation.

Amanda, February 15, 2017 at 8:18 am

Awesome John! Thanks, good info to know.

W Fanning, February 15, 2017 at 9:43 am

Thanks John..will be following.. looking to ride Saturday..

KenH, February 16, 2017 at 7:45 am

T. Gap Woo: Why limit the fun to the last day?

Sounds like fun buy you haven’t met Mrs. Hutchinson, have you? Sitting alone, at home, for a week, with nothing but three dogs and chocolate cake to comfort her….

John Weber: we will be having an afternoon or evening church service for those who want to attend. Hope you make it!

Sounds great, be sure to let us know who “we” is and when and I will try to make it!

Thanks for the tips on getting to/from Hawarden too.

KenH, February 16, 2017 at 7:45 am

T. Gap Woo: Why limit the fun to the last day?

Sounds like fun but you haven’t met Mrs. Hutchinson, have you? Sitting alone, at home, for a week, with nothing but three dogs and chocolate cake to comfort her….

John Weber: we will be having an afternoon or evening church service for those who want to attend. Hope you make it!

Sounds great, be sure to let us know who “we” is and when and I will try to make it!

Thanks for the tips on getting to/from Hawarden too.

LawnchairMan, February 25, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Hey John W,

I intend to camp at Oak Grove on Thursday and ride to Orange City early Friday. I had planned to take Cherry Ave to B46 to K42 and ride about six miles on 10. Your suggestion of B58 sounds much better, so I will leave B46 at Eagle ave and come into Ireton from the North. Then turn East and do the rest as you suggest. Your first hand road information is priceless! Thank you!

Viewing 10 replies - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI