Others Having Laptop Access Issues?

I can get I into the RAGBRAI website and forum using my phone but portions of the website and the forum return an error saying “site is down for maintenance”. It’s been going on for days. Sometimes I get that on my phone also.

This topic was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by mootsman.

17 Replies

Mike Murphy, February 8, 2021 at 12:51 pm

No issues.

Uncle Kraig, February 8, 2021 at 3:30 pm

Yes, lots of issues, been going on a week or so. I sent them a note and they said they were working on a pretty big site overhaul that may be causing some issues.

GP_in_SD, February 8, 2021 at 4:53 pm

I’m having this same problem most of the time when I use my standard PC Chrome browser buy not when I switch to Microsoft Edge.

mootsman, February 8, 2021 at 5:34 pm

I’m having this same problem most of the time when I use my standard PC Chrome browser buy not when I switch to Microsoft Edge.

This worked great. Thanks for the solution. mootsman also in SD

DenBiker, February 9, 2021 at 10:32 am

I use “Chrome” as my browser. Like others I have been having access issues on my laptop for days. At first the entire site was unavailable but then little by little pieces of it started showing up but even then only partially. For instance this morning the Forum topic menu finally showed up but when I went to click on a topic the dreaded “down for maintenance” message greeted me. It was only when I decided to try “Edge” instead of “Chrome” that I was able to access the Forum.

Obviously there are still some “Chrome” compatibility issues yet to be addressed.

Uncle Kraig, February 9, 2021 at 7:52 pm

My significant issues, while much better the last 2-3 days, were all on a Chrome browser as well. Just in case any of the RAGBRAI folks are watching this thread, it sure appears to be a compatibility issue with Chrome but again, much better the last couple days.

“Bicycle Bill”, February 10, 2021 at 12:58 am

I saw something where ‘legacy’ Microsoft Edge is being replaced with an updated version of Edge. This may be the source of your problems.  Updating your browser or changing to another browser like Chrome or Firefox is probably the best fix.

-“BB”-

mootsman, February 10, 2021 at 8:49 am

Chrome was the problem as identified by GP_in_SD in his post. I switched to edge and everything worked. Then the day after he mentioned it my access in chrome once again worked. I think someone in IT saw his post and fixed the issue. Thanks GP!

KenH, February 10, 2021 at 2:40 pm

I use Chrome on two Windows laptops and an Android phone from NE Illinois. I have had no issues. Verizon is my phone’s ISP, ATT is my home ISP, and I have no idea who my work ISP is. At work the wonder is that we are still allowed to access sites like RAGBRAI at all. Perhaps next week we won’t! It could be that any issues you are having are related to your ISP and geographical location as well as your browser and other factors under your control.

mootsman, February 11, 2021 at 8:03 am

I use Chrome on two Windows laptops and an Android phone from NE Illinois. I have had no issues. Verizon is my phone’s ISP, ATT is my home ISP, and I have no idea who my work ISP is. At work the wonder is that we are still allowed to access sites like RAGBRAI at all. Perhaps next week we won’t! It could be that any issues you are having are related to your ISP and geographical location as well as your browser and other factors under your control.

Nope. GP_in_SD already identified the problem and the IT person for the website fixed it. Chrome works again. Edge always did. You might have not used Chrome during the period it did not work.

This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by mootsman.

Larry Klaaren, February 11, 2021 at 11:20 am

I have the problem on the computer I use at one clinic and not on the computer I use at the other clinic. Both have Microsoft Edge for the browser. I am not mentioning this to the IT guy, because RAGBRAI is probably the only non-medical site that is not blocked by our firewall.

This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Larry Klaaren.

mootsman, February 11, 2021 at 12:42 pm

I have the problem on the computer I use at one clinic and not on the computer I use at the other clinic. Both have Microsoft Edge for the browser. I am not mentioning this to the IT guy, because RAGBRAI is probably the only non-medical site that is not blocked by our firewall.

Just a guess but many companies have security restrictions set very strictly on the company network that blocks a lot of websites. I had issues when going through my company’s network with websites I could get at through my home ISP.

Even when working remotely using a company laptop it would require me to log in through a private network connection that restricted internet access.

mootsman, February 11, 2021 at 12:56 pm

It can also vary by laptop if the security settings are stricter on one of them then the other. Maybe check the firewall settings or antivirus software settings. You could mess with the settings but at risk of violating company policy. Policy may have become more strict from the time the 1st computer was deployed and the second.

Larry Klaaren, February 11, 2021 at 1:55 pm

These are identical computers on the same system. They are desktops, not laptops.
This is no big deal to me, just kind of weird.

mootsman, February 11, 2021 at 2:24 pm

These are identical computers on the same system. They are desktops, not laptops.
This is no big deal to me, just kind of weird.

Same goes for a desktop. One may have been deployed with the security settings less restrictive then the other. On purpose or not.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015