Join Us in July - Register Today!

Pace Lines

Why hasn’t anyone talked about pace lines yet? Typically for a flat ride there would be at least one thread about the dangers and advantages. To be clear, I’m not for nor against them. I’ve joined them over the years, (with care), and given the right situation this year I probably will again. A general discussion about them is a healthy topic though for those of us who haven’t been exposed. I’ve been in a pace line of three into a stiff headwind that was a real lifesaver so they aren’t always about going fast.

27 Replies

Michrider !!!, April 23, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Looks like you just started the discussion, LMAO!!!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Dockat, April 23, 2017 at 2:19 pm

I am pretty sure you better shave your legs if you want to pace line.

Randall Murphy, April 23, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Upon further review then, deal me out.

Sandaltan ., April 23, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Me too, no razor shall touch my inner thighs.

RIDE RIGHT

Niles, April 23, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Before you die from not riding in a paceline, rest for sure that your life will be saved before TJ calls off RAGBRAI and thousands of other RAIGRAI’ers not depending on paceline for their lives are saved in the case of headwind.

For defenders of persistent paceline riders in RAGBRAI, I have a baseball analog: sure you don’t pitch 100 mph fast ball like a pro, will you crash into your neighborhood T-ball game to pitch your usual 80 mile ones? RAGBRAI is NOT a race. It is a ride skewing to older or family riders although Lance Armstrong also has joined.

“Bicycle Bill”, April 23, 2017 at 7:29 pm

The only draft line I want to see on RAGBRAI would be an orderly queue at the beer keg…. and I’d prefer that it be a very short one!!

-“BB”-

SFC JKL 2, April 23, 2017 at 7:32 pm

If you have headwinds, you’ll have pace lines. I thought we had the fewest of the 10 years I’ve ridden last year. We’ll have the stereo out this year so I’m sure we’ll have plenty of people dragging behind us.

davekilloran, April 24, 2017 at 12:42 pm

play Led Zep and I will follow you for thousands of miles

ppayne1959, April 24, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Headwinds or not, sometimes it is just plain fun to ride fast.

Sunflower, April 24, 2017 at 3:31 pm

https://youtu.be/FvzpyIdqw18

In the morning the whole ride is basically a paceline, its that crowded. I think the whole paceline/no paceline thing is ridiculous. If you have the skills to do it, fine. If you don’t, don’t do it.

The real problem are the people who don’t ride right combined with pacelines that feel the need to crowd everyone so that they don’t break cadence. In the late afternoon there usually aren’t any issues.

Brian Wallenburg, April 24, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Just don’t be that guy that never wants to take a turn up front!

mootsman, April 25, 2017 at 7:31 am

The safety issue with groups of unknowns riding in a pace line is that their actual pace-line skill set is also an unknown. Frequently some with pace-line experience and no real training think they have skills but then circumstances they are not trained for and have no prior experience with can happen. It is not a great idea to pace-line with strangers. Even if you start out in a pace-line of riders who ride together normally, others will join.

Adding to the complexity on RAGBRAI is the pace-line interacting with thousands of other riders. That adds lots of unknowns like erratic moves by those outside the pace-line.

Also if you want a sense of accomplishment from completing RAGBRAI, getting paced by drafting others means you really didn’t put in the effort to ride it all on your own. You might has well motor-pace off a moped or have an electric assist bike.

Sam, April 25, 2017 at 10:16 am

I’ve ridden in a few over the years, only ever with my team. I’m not very comfortable in pace lines, so I’d rather just ride in space and get to the overnight a little later.

CyclingCyclone, April 25, 2017 at 10:44 am

Pacelines are a bad idea on RAGBRAI, and like bandits, they’re not going away.
A perfect example of how dangerous pacelines can be on this ride is back on our day into Forest City in 1987 our group came across the remnants of a pace line as the paramedics were trying to save the life of a guy who was in one. Their group moved over the the right as a truck was approaching, and as the truck passed this guy moved back to the left, and didn’t see the truck was towing a trailer, was run over,and was killed.
The officials stopped traffic, and we had to get off our bikes and walk past this mess.
On a side note, if you want pace off someone at least have the courtesy of asking the person you want to draft if it’s okay or not. If it’s me, I’ll say no thank you, I’m 47 now, and not as fast I as think I am.
On another side note, it’s always enjoyable passing pacelines riding solo.

Sunflower, April 25, 2017 at 11:25 am

For some people riding in a paceline is also known as “riding your bike.”

If that doesn’t describe you, be very careful.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters