Transfer details now available!

Packing Bike for East / West Shuttle

I’m taking the east/ west shuttle. The recommend wrapping you frame and components to prevent damage. I understand how to use pipe insulation for the frame, but how do you wrap you components?

6 Replies

Ilona Maine, June 27, 2018 at 11:04 am

Julie, I used pipe insulation for that as well and just secured with duct tape.

T. Gap Woo, June 27, 2018 at 11:32 am

A low cost alternative to pipe insulation is a child’s swimming noodle, available at any dollar store. Apply it the same way you would apply pipe insulation.

BTW, you can apply noodles to the bike rack strapping wherever the straps touch the paint. This will prevent the straps from abrading the clearcoat/finish on the trunk lid etc.

See you along the I-O-Way next month.

Jeff Boyer, June 27, 2018 at 11:53 am

I always use a combination of pipe insulation and pool noodles secured by zip ties. I wrap the handlebars in bubble wrap, and do the same to the derailleurs. You can add a short piece of pipe insulation on your front and rear wheels between a section of spokes, and ask the loader to hang the hook and bungee in those sections of your wheel…Prevents a lot of scratches.

Dizzy, June 27, 2018 at 4:53 pm

Jeff,
Great tip on wrapping the wheel sections to prevent scratches from the above/below bungee hooks! D

Julie Walter, June 27, 2018 at 9:51 pm

Thanks for the input, I really like the part about putting some between the spokes. However, I’m still having trouble visualizing how to put it on the derailer. Would you have any pictures by any chance?

Bikingaddict, July 7, 2018 at 11:45 am

The only component I really worry about is the rear derailleur since even a minor impact on that can affect your bike’s shifting. New bikes from the manufacturer often have a plastic protector that attaches to the quick release and covers the derailleur. The bike shops typically throw them away, but if you ask them to save you one they may do so. You can also buy something a bit more durable such as this one for $20 (https://www.amazon.com/Bopworx-Detachable-Bicycle-Derailleur-Guard/dp/B01BUGQO4S)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI