Packing for RAGBRAI 2018

Here is my list of what I’m bringing
$300 cash (more if needed)
2 clean bike water bottles
2 trash bags (1 for protecting dry clothes and 1 for dirty clothes)
2 water bottle attachments
7 bike jerseys
7 bike shorts (all same)
8 after ride boxers
8 after ride shirts
8 pairs of after ride shorts
8 pairs of after ride socks
8 pairs of morning/day riding socks
AA batteries
AAA batteries
Air horn
Allen keys (red)
BCAAs
Bike boom box (still need to order)
Bike horn
Bike shoe cleat covers
Bike shoes
Blanket (make sure it’s washed)
Bluetooth ear piece (wireless for making calls)
Bug repellant
Charging banks
Checkbook
Chromebook (w/ charger)
Cleaning wipes
Cologne
Deodorant
Floss
Goggles for swimming
GoPro (w/ 3 spare new batteries)
GoPro attachments
headlamp
Hydrocortisone cream
Patch kit
Phone
Phone charging cord
Pillow (make sure it’s washed)
Pre-workout
Q-tips
SD card reader
SD cards
Self-inflatable ground pad
several chargers (plug and cord)
Several heavy-duty poly bags
Sleeping bag (make sure it’s washed)
Small blender bottle (for BCAAs, protein, and pre-workout)
Small bottles of body wash or bar soap
Small bottles of shampoo
Stakes (enough for rainfly and tent)
Tent (wash?)
Toothbrush w/ charger
Toothpaste
Towel
Under the seat bike bag
Wallet (Insurance, debit and credit cards, drivers license)
Watch (w/ charger)

66 Replies

mike marmer, January 22, 2018 at 2:47 pm

You don’t need that many clothes — You can wash your clothes in the evening in a bucket or take them in the shower with you and you’ll be on the bike most of the time, so you don’t need many after ride clothes. If you want to sleep well, bring earplugs and possibly a blindfold. A ground cloth under your tent is good to have. Don’t forget sunblock and maybe some gatorade mix. A rain jacket is important. Bring ziplock bags and pack everything in ziplock bags — it could be wet. Bring some camp shorts that have a liner so you won’t always need underwear after riding. How about a washcloth and some aspirin or tylenol? You may need sandals or shower shoes. Here’s the official link:
https://ragbrai.com/about/general-information/#44

Scott, January 22, 2018 at 2:52 pm

How big of a u-haul are you putting all that stuff in?

just randy, January 22, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Don’t forget your bike !

Marla Shifflett, January 22, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Hi JP! I hate to add to your list, because it is quite lengthy, but, I would add a couple of items. Sunscreen for sure (which Mike mentioned above), and sun lip protection. Also, I really like to have a shower cap – not for showering, but for my bicycle seat. Sounds crazy, but with the dew, I hate to jump on a cold, wet, bicycle seat first thing in the morning. I agree that you probably won’t need that many “play clothes.” You can re-wear stuff that you aren’t biking in. Good idea making your list early! I didn’t use a list last year and forgot water bottles. I had a hundred of them at home and had to stop at Scheel’s in Sioux City and buy two new ones on the way to Orange City. Funny thing is . . . my riding partner forgot hers, too. I usually have five or six rolling around on the floorboard of my truck, but of course, I had cleaned my truck out for RAGBRAI! lol Good luck packing!

Bill Easterly, January 22, 2018 at 9:35 pm

bike, loin cloth, lot, of sunblock

Mike Cordes, January 23, 2018 at 10:29 am

some possible additions to an overlong list… Helmet, sun glasses, hat, zip ties. We have a support vehicle so we add things like chairs, camping table, wash bucket / laundry soap, clothes line, Jarts,

jpclark7, January 23, 2018 at 11:09 am

Added what you mentioned to my list! I don’t think anyone mentioned HELMET! But yes, I’m making the list early to get pumped up for this year’s ride! 🙂 In regards to the shower cap, I am so doing that this year. I’m not much of a fan of re-wearing clothes (I love to start out fresh!). LOL’d at the fact that you forgot WATER BOTTLES! It seems that the most obvious things we must bring, we forget! Well, let’s hope no one forgets their bike! Hope to see sometime on the route! 🙂

Hi JP! I hate to add to your list, because it is quite lengthy, but, I would add a couple of items. Sunscreen for sure (which Mike mentioned above), and sun lip protection. Also, I really like to have a shower cap – not for showering, but for my bicycle seat. Sounds crazy, but with the dew, I hate to jump on a cold, wet, bicycle seat first thing in the morning. I agree that you probably won’t need that many “play clothes.” You can re-wear stuff that you aren’t biking in. Good idea making your list early! I didn’t use a list last year and forgot water bottles. I had a hundred of them at home and had to stop at Scheel’s in Sioux City and buy two new ones on the way to Orange City. Funny thing is . . . my riding partner forgot hers, too. I usually have five or six rolling around on the floorboard of my truck, but of course, I had cleaned my truck out for RAGBRAI! lol Good luck packing!

jpclark7, January 23, 2018 at 11:10 am

Yes, the helmet!

jpclark7, January 23, 2018 at 11:11 am

I don’t think I can bare it all like Fitness Lynn with the loin cloth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mrSpyn4yGM

Mike Howe, January 25, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Is your list being sarcastic? I hope so. You dont need colgone, a tooth brush that needs a charger, an air horn, etc. Sounds like youre going to need a 3rd bag just for chargers alone.

cyduke, January 25, 2018 at 12:21 pm

A solar charger works great. No need to find an available outlet. I’ve had mine for about 6 years, and it works. smaller in size than a notebook, and it charges my phone, lights, Garmin, and recharge batteries in no time.

This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  cyduke.

jpclark7, January 26, 2018 at 9:40 am

List is not sarcastic– I have brought these things with me last year with no problems. In regards to the air horn, that is definitely coming along with me. If the peoples don’t move over to the right as I blaze on by, I honk my bike horn…if they don’t move, THEY GET THE AIR HORN!

T. Gap Woo, January 26, 2018 at 10:13 am

In regards to the air horn, that is definitely coming along with me. If the peoples don’t move over to the right as I blaze on by, I honk my bike horn…if they don’t move, THEY GET THE AIR HORN!

From a “get out of my way” point of view, the air horn should do the trick. From a “safety” point of view, this could be dangerous as it may startle someone into doing something unexpected, posing a hazard to all.

I prefer a call of “on your left/right” in a loud enough voice to announce my presence yet not scare the bejeebers out of someone.

If that fails, a gentle toot on my ooga horn usually works. Not only does it not scare anyone (except nearby wildlife), it usually generates a laugh and a smile.

If all else fails, I hang back and wait for a safe time and place to pass. I’m in no rush; Ragbrai is a ride, not a race.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

jpclark7, January 26, 2018 at 10:22 am

🙂 I do it when not around people– when I’m going fast and many feet behind people, I’m just giving them a heads up that I’m “coming in like a speeding bullet!”

Cory Rood, January 26, 2018 at 11:18 am

I believe in you do you. But that is way to much for me. 2 pairs of casual shorts. 3 sets of kits. That’s it. No way of be bring all those things that need chargers. As for the air horn. To me that makes you look like you think it’s a race. Slow down and enjoy the trip. If you need to wait 30 seconds to pass what’s the big deal?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015