Packing for RAGBRAI 2018

Here is my list of what I’m bringing
$300 cash (more if needed)
2 clean bike water bottles
2 trash bags (1 for protecting dry clothes and 1 for dirty clothes)
2 water bottle attachments
7 bike jerseys
7 bike shorts (all same)
8 after ride boxers
8 after ride shirts
8 pairs of after ride shorts
8 pairs of after ride socks
8 pairs of morning/day riding socks
AA batteries
AAA batteries
Air horn
Allen keys (red)
BCAAs
Bike boom box (still need to order)
Bike horn
Bike shoe cleat covers
Bike shoes
Blanket (make sure it’s washed)
Bluetooth ear piece (wireless for making calls)
Bug repellant
Charging banks
Checkbook
Chromebook (w/ charger)
Cleaning wipes
Cologne
Deodorant
Floss
Goggles for swimming
GoPro (w/ 3 spare new batteries)
GoPro attachments
headlamp
Hydrocortisone cream
Patch kit
Phone
Phone charging cord
Pillow (make sure it’s washed)
Pre-workout
Q-tips
SD card reader
SD cards
Self-inflatable ground pad
several chargers (plug and cord)
Several heavy-duty poly bags
Sleeping bag (make sure it’s washed)
Small blender bottle (for BCAAs, protein, and pre-workout)
Small bottles of body wash or bar soap
Small bottles of shampoo
Stakes (enough for rainfly and tent)
Tent (wash?)
Toothbrush w/ charger
Toothpaste
Towel
Under the seat bike bag
Wallet (Insurance, debit and credit cards, drivers license)
Watch (w/ charger)

66 Replies

jelly0317, January 26, 2018 at 1:03 pm

The fact that you alphabetized your list speaks volumes.

Scott, January 26, 2018 at 1:29 pm

Is this what you look like all packed up?

jp

Lets Get Weird, January 28, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Here is my list of what I’m bringing
Peanut butter sandwich
2 cans Old Milwaukee beer
Horn (to play for free beer)

carolyn weber, January 28, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Ugh….

Barin Beard, January 29, 2018 at 5:15 am

Don’t forget chamois butter.

Csprint, January 29, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Not horrible, but delete all but one of the après ride shirts, shorts, socks, and the
bike horn (not necessary). Add a can of spray on sunscreen, one or two spare tubes,
and either a CO2 inflator or a can of Caffelatex sealant inflator for the seat pack.
A multitool that fits in the seat pack isn’t a bad idea either.

lm m, January 30, 2018 at 8:56 am

Bike gear, 3 kits, 2 sets of evening cloths, phone charger!! DONE I can pack for a full week in a small back pack.

Barin Beard, January 30, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Same as Im m. Plus very basic toiletries, summer weight sleeping bag, Kelty 2-person tent, Thermarest. I also include my (base model) Kindle in my pack (can last a week without a charge). All fits in a small backpack.

Mike Howe, January 30, 2018 at 11:17 pm

Which kelty do you have? I was looking at the Kelty Trailridge 2 or the Kelty TN2. I used a trailridge 4 last year and it was way too big. I like how the trailridge 2 packs into a cube shaped sack.

Barin Beard, January 31, 2018 at 6:14 am

@Mike: It is just a cheap Kelty I got at a Dick’s Sporting Goods on my way to Iowa last year. Paid $99, just saw it now on their website for $89. On my road trip I discovered my 25-year old Sierra Designs Flashlite was a bit more worn out than I realized. The shock-cord in the poles was all stretched, lots of battle scars like a melted spot from a Coleman lantern. The Kelty is quality construction, easy to put up and take down, self standing, and only slightly heavier than the Sierra Designs.

This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Barin Beard.

KenH, January 31, 2018 at 7:49 am

Most years I do the ride in a motorhome so I bring everything but the kitchen sink. The motorhome already has a kitchen sink! One year I tented for the week with a charter and loved it by the way! I packed two fairly large duffels with a list much like the OP’s. Based on that experience I would make one suggestion to newbies. Decide on your packing list fairly early. And then pack your bag(s) (the Register trucks only allow one but many charters allow two) exactly like you will during the week. The first thing you need to do is to weigh them/it to make sure you are within the Register’s or your charter’s weight limit. The second thing you need to do is to pick them up and carry them around the block. Preferably on a hot day when you’ve just finished doing the yard chores.

Now you will have the proper understanding of what your “must have” list is going to mean to you during RAGBRAI week. You may want to make some adjustments….

Michrider !!!, January 31, 2018 at 8:10 am

For years, I was the guy who packed way too much. I learned, from experience, to downsize. The more you bring, the more difficult it is to find that one small item! Less is more!

Geoff Butland, January 31, 2018 at 9:44 am

LOL – I guess you won’t be pondering panniers vs. trailer. It’s actually not an unreasonable list, just a bit on the lux end of the spectrum. I ride in quick dry shorts and shirt so i would put on the next day’s clothes after showering. It reduced my clothing list, but still felt like more than I needed. One set of cotton for sleeping. I really like the idea of rinsing off clothes in the shower to get another day’s wear – I am going to try that. Unless it rains every day drying quick dry stuff should be completely doable.

Michrider !!!, January 31, 2018 at 9:51 am

As you wait in the long shower line, remember others are doing the same. That’s one reason the RAGBRAI shower line are so long and move so slow!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Den, February 11, 2018 at 6:05 pm

Jarts? Damn, that’s old school.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015