The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Packing for RAGBRAI 2018

Here is my list of what I’m bringing
$300 cash (more if needed)
2 clean bike water bottles
2 trash bags (1 for protecting dry clothes and 1 for dirty clothes)
2 water bottle attachments
7 bike jerseys
7 bike shorts (all same)
8 after ride boxers
8 after ride shirts
8 pairs of after ride shorts
8 pairs of after ride socks
8 pairs of morning/day riding socks
AA batteries
AAA batteries
Air horn
Allen keys (red)
BCAAs
Bike boom box (still need to order)
Bike horn
Bike shoe cleat covers
Bike shoes
Blanket (make sure it’s washed)
Bluetooth ear piece (wireless for making calls)
Bug repellant
Charging banks
Checkbook
Chromebook (w/ charger)
Cleaning wipes
Cologne
Deodorant
Floss
Goggles for swimming
GoPro (w/ 3 spare new batteries)
GoPro attachments
headlamp
Hydrocortisone cream
Patch kit
Phone
Phone charging cord
Pillow (make sure it’s washed)
Pre-workout
Q-tips
SD card reader
SD cards
Self-inflatable ground pad
several chargers (plug and cord)
Several heavy-duty poly bags
Sleeping bag (make sure it’s washed)
Small blender bottle (for BCAAs, protein, and pre-workout)
Small bottles of body wash or bar soap
Small bottles of shampoo
Stakes (enough for rainfly and tent)
Tent (wash?)
Toothbrush w/ charger
Toothpaste
Towel
Under the seat bike bag
Wallet (Insurance, debit and credit cards, drivers license)
Watch (w/ charger)

66 Replies

Amanda, March 31, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Another tip with zip lock baggies. I put a softener sheet in each bag . Then I put the softner sheet in with the dirty clothes as the week goes on. It helps with the smell!

Michrider !!!, April 1, 2018 at 10:07 am

Amanda, March 31, 2018 at 12:02 pm
Another tip with zip lock baggies. I put a softener sheet in each bag . Then I put the softner sheet in with the dirty clothes as the week goes on. It helps with the smell!

Princess Amanda, your dirty clothes smell? Hard to believe! Do they smell like gardenia?

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Andy, April 12, 2018 at 5:19 pm

A couple things I definitely bring: Travel Size Toilet Paper & Flushable Travel Cloths

These small travel sized toilet paper rolls are easy to carry while riding:

Travel Sized Toilet Paper

They are available in the travel size section of person hygiene products of many stores.

These are my favorite travel cloths:

Travel Cloths

You can buy these on Amazon:

Cottonelle Flushable Travel Cloths

I know it is very difficult for organizers to predict the usage of toilet paper and keeping the porta-potties stocked. So, do yourself a favor (and maybe help a fellow rider in need) by carrying either or both on the ride… nothing like feeling clean and fresh after a visit to those wonderful plastic Outhouses! LOL

knees36, April 12, 2018 at 9:42 pm

I use PreparationH Medication Wipes for these old “bunnies” while on the ride. They come in flat plastic containers and are lubricated/medicated with Aloe for a comfortable smooth, cool ride…and they are easy to use. They are packaged flat and slip easily into a “seatbag….really! Cheers. Knees36

Michrider !!!, April 13, 2018 at 7:17 am

I always think of KYBO’s as paper free zones! I always have some paper in my pocket when making a visit!!!

Larry Klaaren, April 13, 2018 at 11:49 am

What do you need to carry during the day besides money, i.d., water, toilet paper, chamois butt’r, suntan lotion, inner tube, tool kit, bike lock, and a rain poncho? Me no like being wet. Seems like I could fit all that in an undersaddle and underframe bag, bottle cages, and pockets on a jersey.

hnschipper, April 13, 2018 at 12:24 pm

I don’t carry a bike lock. Few on RAGBRAI do. Along with my ID and money, I carry my health insurance card and emergency contact information (just in case.)

Uncle Kraig, April 13, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Larry, yea, save the bike lock. You really probably don’t need it. Most don’t carry one, myself included. In addition to the insurance card and “emergency contact info” card like mentioned above, I would add chapstick, phone and bandanna to your daily ride list. I always have a bandanna to get wet and put on my head when I stop at the pass through towns, cools you down nicely. You want a phone if for nothing else than to take some pics along the way. And lastly, not everyone agrees but I always put one credit card in with my id, insurance card, etc. Just in case I have a need for a big expense, bike repair, emergency, etc. It takes no room at all and better to have it if needed.

Larry Klaaren, April 13, 2018 at 5:03 pm

I will probably just use my wallet. I usually misplace stuff when I try to put money and cards in my pockets or bag. I have a phone holder on the bike but I put on a speedometer so I can try to be techno-free (except for texting to meet people up) for the week. And yes, chapstick was on my list also. I have skin cancer so a suntan lotion/medication and chapstick are always right with me. I really need to figure out how to take a cap without smashing it.

Amanda, April 13, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Yes, Mitch, sometimes I do have smelly clothes. I think it’s hanging out with the peasants! LOL

Mark Hartung, April 13, 2018 at 5:40 pm

As far as a bike lock, take it with you. It doesn’t cost anything to bring and takes up little space/weighs little. I lock my bike when stopping for the night when at the overnight town activities. I know people who have had their bike stolen in the overnight towns. An ounce of prevention…….

Larry Klaaren, April 13, 2018 at 6:17 pm

I have read the debate about the lock in other threads. I feel like I would rather have it and not use it than not have it and wish I did in some situation I don’t anticipate.

Mike Harvitt, April 13, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Looking for 2 week long rider wristbands. Found out we’ll be able to go. If you have 2 extra please let me know. Mike @ 269-370-5113

jelly0317, April 13, 2018 at 8:45 pm

A bike lock in the duffel bag, definitely; on the bike during the day, no.

ncrosgrove, May 1, 2018 at 8:29 am

I hope you are with a charter considering what all you plan to bring. This will be my 11th ride. I have cut down enough over the years to now be able to bring some luxury items such as a battery fan to hang in the tent, lightweight chairs and a lightweight shade for our campsite. I ride a tandem with my husband for the last 5 years so it makes it a little easier. We have gone to lightweight tent and sleeping pads, fleece sleeping bags. I would rather have my luxury items and bring less clothes. Flip flops for the evenings and you don’t need socks. We bring one or two pair in case of cool weather. If you are using the RAGBRAI baggage truck remember you have a 50 pound limit. And they do weigh the bags. I have used the RAGBRAI baggage truck for every ride, 2 of which I rode solo, and I find it the most economical way to go, I have never had a problem with it. Good Luck!

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014