packing tips for first RAGBRAI

Basically I have done some weeklong rides before, but does anyone have any tips for packing for RAGBRAI?

8 Replies

KenH, June 19, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Here’s one place to start, others will chime in with theirs.

A couple of general tips:

1) do a trial packing well before the ride and make any necessary adjustments to your packing list to comply with the weight limit

2) once you’ve done that wait for a hot day and carry your packed bag around the block a couple of times, you might find it wise to cut out some weight!

lmgoldberg, June 19, 2018 at 12:08 pm

looking forward to advice in this thread.

hnschipper, June 19, 2018 at 12:08 pm

If you are using the RAGBRAI baggage truck, they do weigh your bags – the weight limit is strictly enforced. So as Ken said, do a trial run beforehand and weigh that bag at home before you go.

Ziploc bags are a must for me, especially if I’m limited to one bag. All my dirty clothes go into one of the big Ziplocs to keep them separate from my clean clothes. And if it rains, also good to protect the clean clothes from a wet bag.

Mike Cordes, June 19, 2018 at 12:55 pm

This has been asked many times and you’d think that this forum would have a better search feature (within the forum database) or a specific forum topic for this subject. But simply do a Google or Yahoo search on “recommendations for a RAGBRAI packing list” and you will get a good selection of recommendations to work through. And as already noted, what you need to pack may change if you are or are not using the baggage truck, riding with a team, have SAG support, etc. Our team has 14 riders and three vehicles, so I go very light on personal items and heavy on campsite gear – e.g., JARTs, tables, chairs, coolers, drinks, TP, …

Nico ZZZ, June 20, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Odds and Ends: Quick dry clothing – no cotton. Easy to clean and dry. Clothing will not dry outside overnight as there is too much condensation in the Iowa air.
A couple of dryer sheets or a car air freshener to keep the wet dog aroma to a minimum in your bags.
Diaper rash ointment for possible skin issues, and of course Wet Ones/Prep H individual wipes for magic KYBO times!
If in a charter, a flag to put on your tent to find it easier from the masses.
Miner’s light for nighttime KYBO runs.
Sandals with toes covered or Crocs to avoid a stubbed toe on a tent stake while on that nighttime KYBO shuffle!
And Rule #1: Pack half of what you think you need.
Ride On!

SFC JKL 2, June 20, 2018 at 11:19 pm

Leave anything you are afraid to lose at home. Keep everything in zip locks. It keeps it dry and packs better. Pack half of what you think you’ll need. Don’t leave anything outside unless you want it to be soaking wet in the morning. A couple small flashlights, and a small O2Cool fan(they work really well and 2 batteries will last you all week).

jeffreydennis, June 25, 2018 at 11:00 am

Plastic bags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015