Packing

Time to pack the bags.

Other than the bike, the tent, the wallet, and a packet of cornwipes, what odd things do you bring along?

I bring a camping clothesline. If it’s sunny out, I can hook one end to my tent and the other to a tree or fence, and dry off my riding kit after the shower.

Someone else wrote that they bring a cheap shower cap to put on their saddle at night, to keep it dry. I prefer to use handi-wipes to clean off the bike in the morning if it’s wet.

What strange and crazy things do you bring along that make camping and/or riding more fun?

10 Replies

Craig Parson, July 13, 2016 at 11:37 am

I bring Doctor Bronner’s peppermint soap and Gold Bond powder. I like to leave the shower with my body feeling like my mouth feels after I brush my teeth “cold and minty fresh”. “I’m just so fresh uh, so fresh and so clean”-Andre3000

I think I may bring a frisbee this year. I am also bringing a lazmac, it’s an inflatable couch that is essentially a huge dry sac you can sit or sleep on.

Craig

Sunflower, July 13, 2016 at 12:47 pm

This hits the highlights pretty well:

https://youtu.be/MGRaKuuoL4s

Sunflower, July 13, 2016 at 12:50 pm

…..some have chosen the flask….

https://youtu.be/MGRaKuuoL4s

Ken Askew, July 13, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I pee bottle for the tent. Large wet wipes in case I miss the bottle. Spray in case the wet wipes aren’t enough. Lots of chamois creme.

Nico ZZZ, July 13, 2016 at 1:22 pm

I just shipped out the bike, packing list is being reviewed.
A couple of items….
—A dryer sheet in the bag(s) to keep it smelling fresh. Have another one available for the dirty clothes bag.
—I ride with PBV, so your tent can be hard to find in a sea of the same model tents. We attached 8″x12″ flags to our tents: state and country. (They helped our neighbors find their tents as well. Could use a string of flags, and some people use glow sticks attached to their tent.
—Flask of scotch.

Ride On!

Jack in VA, July 13, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Some wooden clothespins to hang your towel, shorts, jersey, etc. on your tent / rain fly to dry out. Remember to take the stuff down in the evening before you go to sleep – otherwise they’ll be soaked with dew in the morning.

SFC JKL 2, July 14, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Bungee cords and some 550 cord to hang stuff. The bungees can also strap anything I might come across to the back of my bike. Laundry bag to put stuff into after I done with it for the week. Everything clean is in plastic bags. Chamois butt’r kit cleaner or woolite to wash the clothes I’ll need to wear twice.

Jack in VA, July 14, 2016 at 11:21 pm

A Kite – and a speed reel to let it out and bring it back in!

And the Frisbee!

jsalmons@wic.edu, July 15, 2016 at 4:44 pm

A really BASIC packing question from some newbies: our team is camping some nights and staying in various places other nights. We’re figuring that we should prepare our bags in ways that they’re easy to carry on the bike from wherever they are dropped off to where we’re staying that night — that is, we’re thinking we should use backpacks instead of duffel bags. I imagine drop off will be right by the camp sites, but if we’re staying at somebody’s house or something, we’ll want to be able to get stuff to there, and other posts have indicated that the shuffles can be jam-packed.

Any advice on this front?

Brian Wallenburg, July 15, 2016 at 7:13 pm

See people struggle with bags while attempting to ride their bikes every year… Never looks like any fun!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015