Registration is now closed for RAGBRAI XLIX. Transfers are now open!

Paid Parking in Lansing.

I have been reading some reviews about vandalism in the paid parking in Lansing people are saying they will not pay for parking in Lansing, because of this problem. I am going to try and contact someone and find out more about this. I am not paying all this money to park my car in that town just so they can turn around and let the people of that town or anyone for that matter brake into my car. I am a first time RAGBRAI rider and I am not paying almost $400 to worry about my car all week while trying to have fun riding my bike. This should not be acceptable period.

11 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, April 10, 2022 at 8:29 am

Not that I’m saying it’s OK for someone to target a bunch of parked cars that are going to be left in one place for a week, but unfortunately that’s what criminals do.  And it can happen in your own driveway or in the parking lots of a Hawkeyes game as well as in Lansing or anywhere else.
Unless you think that paying for parking also includes hiring a couple of 24-hour on-site security guards to constantly patrol the car corral?

Frankly, four hundred clams for a week’s parking sounds pretty high, but even so that translates out to about 100 gallons of gas at current prices in the La Crosse/Prairie du Chien/Lansing area (anywhere from $3.60 to $3.90 per gallon, depending on where you are) – and for that matter gas prices have been and are continuing to decline, so by July that same $400 could maybe buy 125 gallons or more.  Seems to me that would go a long way to having a friend drive your vehicle to meet you there and take you home, and not have to worry about leaving your car in the hands of fate.

-“BB”-

This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by "Bicycle Bill".

Kamw, April 10, 2022 at 11:39 am

Hi Bicycle Bill, thanks for the response I was just a little concerned thats all I was just going by what I read and wanted to know if it was something to worry about. I have been bike touring in a lot of different parts of the country and have left my vehicle for up to four weeks at a time and wondered if it was ok I think it’s only natural. I have never participated in RAGBRAI and I am singed up with PBV and have already paid for my long term parking in Lansing and I look forward to the ride and meeting people from all over and helping out all the community’s that are on the route with donations for all the wonderful food I have been hearing about. I was only worried about it because of what I heard and didn’t know how serious the problem actually was. I am certainty not worried about the cost of it at all if I was I would not be going I have spent a lot more and traveled a lot further for bike tours I do at least three or four a year big or small. I am doing a five day bike packing gravel tour in June, I love this kind of stuff and I do expect to be back to RAGBRAI next year end and hopefully every year after that. Thanks Keith.

Thom M, April 10, 2022 at 1:05 pm

The good news is it isn’t $400. Parking in General Parking in Lansing is only $65 right now, the price will go up. VIP Parking was $125 and is already sold out. I am hoping that paying for parking does in fact provide some level of security and monitoring.
Lansing Ragbrai Options

Gene, April 10, 2022 at 2:50 pm

I parked in Lansing for RAGBRAI in 2017 and did NOT have or hear of a problem. I’ve already got my parking pass in Lansing for this years ride.
Gene from NC

wrj, April 14, 2022 at 10:34 am

Where do I find the link for parking in Lansing?

WDM Doug, April 14, 2022 at 12:49 pm

Is there any week long paid parking in Waukon? I’m still riding to the end in Lansing but either riding back to Waukon or catching a ride. I’m wondering if it would be easier than getting two vehicles (one with a camper) out of Lansing.

Arthur Sartori, April 14, 2022 at 4:37 pm

I’m looking for parkig in Lansing also. Where can i contact someone about a stay in Lansing for a few days for my car?

Joseph Schlau, April 14, 2022 at 5:42 pm

WDM usually long term parking is set up in the start and end towns. I’m not sure what thread I read this on but another rider placed an add in the newspaper of the town he wanted to park in and made a private arrangement that way. Someone’s got a driveway or piece of land there.

RiddenArt keep looking at the website for Lansing and there will eventually be a designated RAGBRAI coordinator or link to long term parking.

Gregory Akers, April 14, 2022 at 10:10 pm

You can purchase a parking spot on the http://www.lansingragbrai.com site. I just purchased a VIP spot so I know some are still available. They’ll probably go fairly fast.

Arthur Sartori, April 15, 2022 at 8:06 am

I’m looking for parking in Charles City. 5 riders are only riding on Friday & Saturday and need parking for a couple of day in Charles City. Is there any place to keep a couple of cars for a few days?

Amanda, April 15, 2022 at 1:38 pm

I have my VIP spot purchased. :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI