RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

paniers?

Hey everyone, If I have a truck transporting all my stuff, would I still be wise to have a rack and paniers to carry essential such as snacks, water, firstaid? Or is the SAG so good and towns close enough that its a waist of weight? Ive looked at older photos and hardly anyone has paniers or bags, but it such a long trip it seems strange not to. Thanks.

6 Replies

longrider42, April 3, 2012 at 11:18 am

You should still have a lite weight rack and small set of panniers, or at least a large rack truck, maybe one of the rack trucnks with the fold down side pockets. Cause you will also need to carry a tool kit, spare tubes and a pump.

jwsknk, April 3, 2012 at 11:53 am

under seat bag with extra tube and tire levers. ID, camers, money sunscreen, lip balm in jersey pockets. Pump and 2 bottles on the bike.
Some will cary a whol lot more, even a kitchen sink, well maybe a bar sink, but anyway, bike shops in the towns and plenty of places to get food & beverages.

Sandaltan ., April 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Water is a must, a couple tubes are a good idea and so is a tire tool. Sustenance is plentiful. I have never ever heard my tummy rumble on RAGBRAI.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, April 3, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I like to carry pie and a six pack!!!!

trek2300, April 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Seat wedge for tube,levers,and CO2 to fix flats. Tequila for multiple shots after CO2 either fails to fill tire or blows it apart. Jacket or vest (carried in jersey pocket) to keep the sun off while waiting for SAG to fix tire after reaching critical mass of Tequila shots.
Panniers? You don’t need no stinkin’ panniers!
Seriously, a seat pack and jersey can hold everything you need.

mentor58, April 3, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I’ll have my usual ‘on-bike’ stuff, tube(s), patch kit, pump, levers, multi-tool. I’ll also have sun-screen and lip balm. I’ll probably throw either one of my small panniers or a trunk bag on the rack, just on general principal. Maybe I’ll carry a Flux Capacitor in it just in case I need it.

Steve

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters