RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Pets/dog

Hi, my name is Liliana and with my husband are planing to bring our dog but we need a ride for him from the finish line to the start point. We already book for us but I don’t know if they allow him to travel with us. I need help.
Thanks.

3 Replies

HelenP, July 5, 2022 at 11:42 am

Please consider that dogs cannot keep cool as well as humans, since all they have is panting, instead of full body sweating. Depending on the breed, a really hot day in the sun could be dangerous for him.

Also, better check whether your camping sites or hotels allow pets.

Good luck! :-D

klkoopman, July 5, 2022 at 7:04 pm

If you are saying that you and your husband have bus tickets from Lansing to Sergeant Bluff through a charter company? If so, ask the charter company about transporting the dog, they are the people to ask. I seriously doubt if a charter would, though. The alternative is handing the dog over to strangers, I guess, but I wouldn’t want to accept that sort of liability. Do the dog a favor and put him or her in a kennel.

Chris, July 6, 2022 at 9:26 am

Welcome to the party, Lilianita!

Like the last two said, I’m afraid I have to pile-on: unless your dog is very used to this kind of activity and life-on-the-road, they’re best left in a kennel. RAGBRAI can be kind of hard on our 4-legged loves.

You will see dogs in the campground, but 99.7% of the time they are with their family who is following along in an RV, not really on the ride itself. I’ve only seen two dogs on the ride itself, in specially modified carriers, and they were small (<15 lb) dogs.

There are thousands of us who have to leave our fur babies at home, and our hearts with them. It’s really for the best; RAGBRAI can be gentle (2014) or be very, very rough (2012), with no way of knowing beforehand which one it will be.

See you in July.
-Chris

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters