RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

phone chargers.

Are there phone charging stations avail. if we are using the RAGBRAI camping services instead of a “private” charter?

8 Replies

Paul, March 18, 2012 at 6:20 am

Carry your charger during the day. Find plug ins as you go (its polite to ask if possible). Iowa has plenty of electricity.

Or, better yet, mostly just keep it off during the week so your charge lasts.

See you on The Ride!

Ragbrai Nation, March 18, 2012 at 8:09 am

Most charters provide charging stations of some kind as does the Windstream Data Center trailer. Schools, churches, town halls and the like who are providing food, shower or other services may also offer AC outlets for charging electronics/laptops. If you don’t see anybody is using charging equipment in any of those places sure to ask before plugging in.

Tony, March 18, 2012 at 9:29 am

Finding a place to charge your phone can be challenging. Depending on if you have NiCd or Li-ion battery. Charge times can be from 16 hours to 3 hours, respectively. So that leaves finding a place in the overnight towns to fully charge your phone. Some towns now have charging stations at or near the information centers. The cell companies in the towns will provide charging stations to their service provider customers. As stated above churches, libraries, schools, and community centers will have outlets to plug into. But you still have to leave your phone for 3 -16 hours to get that charge. Some people have the new portable alkaline battery chargers like Eveready sells. Others bring extra batteries. Depending on your cell phone type. Service will be good to horrible. If you have a CDMA phone service like Verizon. It will be good. If you have a GSM service like ATT and T-mobile. It will suck for most of the ride. GSM service is only in large metro areas in Iowa. I have ATT and in rural Iowa there are no GSM towers. I carry a Verizon phone when riding in the country. Cell phones that are searching for towers will suck a battery dry rapidly. So I highly recommend leaving your phone off. Till you get into a town. Then check for calls and text. This will conserve your battery. Also turn off features like blue tooth, GPS, and WiFi. They all greatly reduce battery life. Several years ago I built a charging station for our charter service. We now have two and can charge 100 phone/devices at a time. I have people outside the charter asking to use our stations. But I have instructed the crew to turn them away. As they are for our member and the stations are always full till we shut them down for the night. I don’t run the generators after 9PM.

This is one of two charging stations. This was the first one I made. It can charge 42 devices. The second can do 54.

Iceman, March 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I recently switched to an Iphone. Anyone found a battery charger that works with an Iphone?

mentor58, March 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Here is something I’m looking at… the MintyBoost Charger Should let you recharge pretty much everything that uses a USB Charger. Should work with i-phones (according to FAQ). Down side, you actually have to build it from a kit.

I’m going with a charter, but I think I’m going to get one of these guys just on general principle. I can really see it being nice for when I’m doing solo touring.

Steve

Iceman, March 19, 2012 at 5:53 am

I like the recharge system above – surely someone is selling hem commercially.

Tony, March 19, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Energizer has the Energi To Go line of products. EZ Boost has a similar line. You can find these products at Walmart, Walgreens, and Hy Vee. 7-11 sell EZ Boost.

mbunge, March 22, 2012 at 11:03 am

Just ordered the Minty kit. I’ll let you know how it works. Last year I thought I’d go green and bought a Power Monkey battery/solar charger combo.

The solar cell didn’t really keep up with my smartphone’s power needs.

It’s really hard to keep your phone charged on the ride.

If you’re a US Cellular customer, find a store and swap your battery for free. That worked really well, but left me a little guilty for abusing their battery exchange program.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters