Phone Mounts

Does anyone recommend a particular phone mount? I have an iPhone 6, but it’s slightly oversized because I have it in a Mophie battery case. I’d like it to be waterproof and also to firmly attach to the bike. If I’m asking for the world, I’d also like to be able to use the camera without taking it out of the waterproof case.
Thanks for your advice.
david

4 Replies

RoyBoy, June 7, 2017 at 12:18 pm

One problem I had with a phone mount is the phone is out in the sun all day long and gets hot in direct sunlight and will shut itself down. So now I keep my iPhone in a jersey pocket. I use a Garmin Edge 520 hooked up with Bluetooth to my iPhone to let me know when I have incoming messages or phone calls. The Garmin tolerates the direct sun better as the screen has a white background during the day. If I had to use a phone mount in the future I would slip a small white sock over the phone when riding during peak sunlight hours. Early mornings and late evening are not a problem.

Just my little piece of advice. Your mileage may vary.

David Hart, June 7, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Wow, I’ve mostly ridden up here in Alaska. That would NEVER have occurred to me. I have had my phone shut off because of the cold, but in my lifetime here in Anchorage,it’s never been above 85. Ever.
Not exposing my phone to direct sun sounds like good advice, now the only question is if I’LL be able to avoid shutting down due to overheating!

Robert Dean, June 8, 2017 at 2:58 pm

The two I hear most about is by Topeak Ridecase and Quad Lock… I live in Texas and have used the Ridecase. Worked great for me. Heat has not been an issue, but I do agree that keeping it out of the sun would be best…

northtxrider, June 10, 2017 at 11:04 am

Quadlock is awesome because you do not have to enclose your phone in a case that makes overheating worse. I use a generic stick on quadlock mount with a very open case I found on amazon.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI