PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Please fire Aaron Calvin

A man raises over $1 million for your children’s hospital and you decide it would be a good idea to destroy his life based on a tweet he made 8 years ago when he was 16. Wow!

20 Replies

Derek Eilderts, September 25, 2019 at 7:16 am

Just unbelievable. How much of my registration goes to the DMR? I may need to reconsider. The most amazing part is that Aaron Calvin’s old tweets are WORSE than Carson’s old tweets. I would think that if you are trying to find dirt by digging through old tweets that you would delete your OWN tweets first.

T. Gap Woo, September 25, 2019 at 11:48 am

And this story relates to RAGBRAI …. how? Old tweets and First Amendment issues aside, this thread more appropriately belongs on the Letters to the Editor page of the DMR, not on the RAGBRAI forum. Let’s stick to all things bicycling, shall we?

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

Mike Howe, September 25, 2019 at 2:49 pm

It relates because of the first letter in ragbrai…R. As in the register where the reporter works. It relates because people are so pissed off that they may decide to not do ragbrai because of this clown reporter and the fact the R in ragbrai decided to go with the story. If the R in Ragbrai is going to drum up this kind of bs and ruin a guys laugh and trash a great story, then makes me wonder what other kind of nonsense is the R in ragbrai going to bring up? Im sure there will be more than a handful of people who decide to no longer ride in ragbrai because of this.

Cole Epley, September 25, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Sounds like you should take a long ride on your bike and quit promoting the ‘cancel culture’ you seem to be decrying in this post.

“Bicycle Bill”, September 26, 2019 at 6:14 am

I am sure that, in the almost 50 years of RAGBRAI, some of us posting here have done a few things while on the ride that would reflect badly on ourselves if somehow pictures, video, or other evidence/proof of such activities were to come to light today.  Think of what went on in Elkader back on RAGBRAI VIII which prompted then-editor Michael Gartner to write and print an article entitled “The After-Dark Side of RAGBRAI” (Let me summarize Gartner’s conclusion: By day, RAGBRAI is a wholesome celebration of small towns, fresh air and homemade pie; but by night, it turns into a drunken sex orgy — or something like that.  Interestingly, his disclosure, while creating a stir, seemed to make the event even more popular. Small towns planning summer festivals might keep this in mind to boost attendance.), or other activities from the ‘back-of-the-pack’ crowd.  Even “Loincloth Man” might have a hard time living down his reputation if it were to be dredged out and publicized now.  And the defense that one was “young, drunk, and foolish” — the kid was how old at the time? Sixteen? — doesn’t seem to cut it any more.

So, yeah, this affects RAGBRAI and all of us, because the Register is the chief sponsor and creator of this little piece of our lives.  I still have a bad taste in my mouth from what happened a few years back when Duffy got the heave-ho as well as when Chuck Offenberger was told that his services were no longer needed, but I’m pretty much over it.  However, I feel a reporter, even if he is part of the Gannett/USA Today organization, should be impartial and report the news, not make it — and a couple of eight-year-old tweets are certainly not news (incidentally, this is why you will never find me on Twitter or Facebook).

So if this sort of muckraking is how the Register is going to run their newspaper, maybe I don’t want to be seen as supportive of it.

SFC JKL 2, September 26, 2019 at 8:17 am

I have a degree in journalism, so this is near and dear to my heart. Yes, I also sent a letter to the editor (whom should be disciplined if not fired as well). This is a feel good story about a kid who made a funny sign. It went viral and ended a rising over a million dollars he is donating to a children’s hospital next to his rival team’s stadium. Even if that requires a background check, what public good is served by reporting it? Stick to the story.
I’ll still support RAGBRAI and will be out there next year, but don’t expect me to ever fill out that portion where they ask if I know of an interesting story ever again. I don’t need that kind of publicity.

jpclark7, September 26, 2019 at 2:55 pm

LOL “fuck the cops.” His face looks like all the other people who say that bullshit.

Cory Rood, September 26, 2019 at 3:27 pm

I have a degree in journalism, so this is near and dear to my heart. Yes, I also sent a letter to the editor (whom should be disciplined if not fired as well). This is a feel good story about a kid who made a funny sign. It went viral and ended a rising over a million dollars he is donating to a children’s hospital next to his rival team’s stadium. Even if that requires a background check, what public good is served by reporting it? Stick to the story.
I’ll still support RAGBRAI and will be out there next year, but don’t expect me to ever fill out that portion where they ask if I know of an interesting story ever again. I don’t need that kind of publicity.

On top of that the Aaron Calvin has his own ‘unsavory’ social media posts lurking in his past. DMR does a background check on a 23 year old raising money, combing through 8 year old tweets, but doesn’t do the same before hiring a journalist? This whole ordeal has me questioning any relationship I have with the Register. And it is a relevant topic for this forum.

Larry Klaaren, September 26, 2019 at 5:07 pm

This whole ordeal has me questioning any relationship I have with the Register. And it is a relevant topic for this forum.

Whole lotta people not buying the Register or Busch beers right now.

Jboz, September 26, 2019 at 8:01 pm

I will ride RAGBRAI again because it’s fun, and I will enjoy supporting the small communities along the way. But I will go out of my way NOT to financially support the DMR any more than I have to.

jwsknk, September 26, 2019 at 10:45 pm

And tonight, that reporter no longer get works for the register

SFC JKL 2, September 26, 2019 at 11:07 pm

On the good side, the fund is up to $1.7 million and Saturday has been declared “Carson King Day” in Iowa. AB is also backing out on the 1 year beer supply but said they would add $500 to their donation to the Hospital.

Cory Rood, September 27, 2019 at 9:46 am

This morning RAGBRAI announced it would be donating $50k to the UIHC.

Is this being done from the DMR to try and appease the masses or is this a donation from RAGBRAI without direction from the DMR? Either way it’s money for sick kids which is a great thing, but I’m left wondering(hoping) there is a moral/ethical divide between DMR and RAGBRAI.

Derek Eilderts, September 27, 2019 at 11:23 am

What a great gesture by RAGBRAI. Who knows if this came through DMR or if it’s RAGBRAI trying to distance themselves from DMR (who wouldn’t?). I’ll take it at face value and say kudos to RAGBRAI for making the donation.

Brady Bisgard, September 27, 2019 at 11:50 am

This morning RAGBRAI announced it would be donating $50k to the UIHC.

Is this being done from the DMR to try and appease the masses or is this a donation from RAGBRAI without direction from the DMR? Either way it’s money for sick kids which is a great thing, but I’m left wondering(hoping) there is a moral/ethical divide between DMR and RAGBRAI.

Who cares? Its clear from posts like this that there is no appeasing people in this situation. You wanted him fired. The Register did that. Then RAGBRAI – a non profit arm of the Register – donated a ton of money to the UIHC. But you’re still not happy.

Time to move on from this story.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014