Please fire Aaron Calvin

A man raises over $1 million for your children’s hospital and you decide it would be a good idea to destroy his life based on a tweet he made 8 years ago when he was 16. Wow!

20 Replies

Cory Rood, September 27, 2019 at 12:53 pm

This morning RAGBRAI announced it would be donating $50k to the UIHC.

Is this being done from the DMR to try and appease the masses or is this a donation from RAGBRAI without direction from the DMR? Either way it’s money for sick kids which is a great thing, but I’m left wondering(hoping) there is a moral/ethical divide between DMR and RAGBRAI.

Who cares? Its clear from posts like this that there is no appeasing people in this situation. You wanted him fired. The Register did that. Then RAGBRAI – a non profit arm of the Register – donated a ton of money to the UIHC. But you’re still not happy.

Time to move on from this story.

I think you misread my intent. I’m very happy that RAGBRAI is doing this and I’m hopeful that it’s of their own accord instead of the DMR trying to play people after they realized they screwed up.

Ken Reed, September 27, 2019 at 2:11 pm

This morning RAGBRAI announced it would be donating $50k to the UIHC.

Is this being done from the DMR to try and appease the masses or is this a donation from RAGBRAI without direction from the DMR? Either way it’s money for sick kids which is a great thing, but I’m left wondering(hoping) there is a moral/ethical divide between DMR and RAGBRAI.

Who cares? Its clear from posts like this that there is no appeasing people in this situation. You wanted him fired. The Register did that. Then RAGBRAI – a non profit arm of the Register – donated a ton of money to the UIHC. But you’re still not happy.

Time to move on from this story.

Exactly, Brandy! Dammed if you do, damned if you don’t. Everyone wants their pound of flesh and them some. What RAGBRAI did was fantastic.

Jboz, September 27, 2019 at 4:45 pm

Most agree that a poor teenage social media decision years ago should be forgiven and chalked up to bad judgment in light of changed adult behavior and good works. I’m inclined to afford the Des Moines Register the same courtesy. Thankfully, the journalist involved is gone now, and the debate continues as to whether the editor should follow him. I’m sure there are good people at the DMR that were as appalled as many posters here were. I’m pleased that RAGBRAI has stepped up. It was a classy move. This whole thing also will cause the DMR to reevaluate the way it approaches these stories. Most importantly, it’s money going toward a very worthy cause. I’m moving on, and looking forward to next July.

KenH, September 30, 2019 at 11:53 am

Aaron Calvin may need to go to church and get a lesson in removing the log from his own eye before complaining about the speck in someone else’s, but as a Christian I believe in redemption and giving everyone that chance. Everyone deserves the chance to repent and walk right from now on.

Even Carson King.

Even Aaron Calvin.

Even the DMR.

Even AB.

Even RAGBRAI.

Even Lance Armstrong.

Even the person who invented cancel culture.

Even you.

Even me.

Lord have mercy,
Christ have mercy,
Lord have mercy…

…on you…

…on me…

…on all of us!

Larry Klaaren, September 30, 2019 at 2:06 pm

As I understand it, Aaron Calvin was directed to perform a social media search on Carson King as a routine part of researching the story. Then he had a conference with his editor who determined that the findings of that search did need to be included and a decision was made, at least in part by the editor, Carol Hunter, to place it at the end of the story. Then after the backlash he was fired. It may be more convoluted, but they keep saying the social media search is standard practice, and that the decision to include it was an editorial decision.
I do know for sure I am deleting all my Facebook posts and comments over a week old unless I think they are pretty important stuff, as well as Instagram and Twitter. Been doing a month of posts a day for a week or so. I am beginning to look incredibly compassionate, caring, and intelligent on Facebook now.

This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Larry Klaaren.

Viewing 5 replies - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015