RAGBRAI LI July 20 -27, 2024

Pork Belly Ventures 2011

If your looking for a Charter, check out my favorite, PBV!

http://www.porkbellyventures.com/index.php

126 Replies

barb.f, February 4, 2011 at 8:50 am

Michrider said: If your looking for a Charter, check out my favorite, PBV! http://www.porkbellyventures.com/index.php

Hey, there’s a group of us from NJ/PA using PBV (our first RAGBRAI) and a couple of us are trying to decide between taking own tent or renting.  Other than cost, anyone have opinion on which way to go??? 

Michrider !!!, February 4, 2011 at 10:55 am

barb.f said:

Michrider said: If your looking for a Charter, check out my favorite, PBV! http://www.porkbellyventures.com/index.php

Hey, there’s a group of us from NJ/PA using PBV (our first RAGBRAI) and a couple of us are trying to decide between taking own tent or renting.  Other than cost, anyone have opinion on which way to go??? 

The hottest time of the day is after I’ve ridden 60-70 miles, get into camp and have to set up my tent.  It’s nice to get up in the morning, pack my bags, leave them in my tent and go.  I don’t have to search for my bags in the afternoon, they’re in my tent!  PBV’s tent service is a great extra that I’m willing to pay for!  Look for me, with a beer in my hand, under the circus tent!!!

John L, February 4, 2011 at 11:59 am

I was looking at them. I will be in a PBV tent too. Thanks guys!

barb.f, February 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Michrider said:

barb.f said:

The hottest time of the day is after I’ve ridden 60-70 miles, get into camp and have to set up my tent.  It’s nice to get up in the morning, pack my bags, leave them in my tent and go.  I don’t have to search for my bags in the afternoon, they’re in my tent!  PBV’s tent service is a great extra that I’m willing to pay for!  Look for me, with a beer in my hand, under the circus tent!!!

Excellent … we love friends with beer in hand :) !!

RonB, February 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Not to dis PBV since I’ve never been with them, but they are certainly not the only good charter out there.  Brancel and OOS are excellent; however, they don’t offer all the “extras” that PBV does, but you don’t pay as much either. 

So, I guess it all depends on what you are looking for!

Michrider !!!, February 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm

RonB said: Not to dis PBV since I’ve never been with them, but they are certainly not the only good charter out there.  Brancel and OOS are excellent; however, they don’t offer all the “extras” that PBV does, but you don’t pay as much either. 

So, I guess it all depends on what you are looking for!

Ron your correct, there are many good charters and Brancel is one of them.  I’ve been with 4 and PBV is my favorite.  And like you said, I’m willing to pay for the extras!

Bikerider, February 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm

This will be my wife’s and my first year. Can’t wait! We have signed up with Bubba’s Pampered Pedalers. Hoping for a great trip.

KittySlayer, February 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

barb.f said:

…trying to decide between taking own tent or renting.  Other than cost, anyone have opinion on which way to go??? 

My wife and I have never rented but friends of ours have. Used to I would say if you did not own a tent then renting would make sense. Rental prices have gotten quite a bit higher and this advice no longer stands. You can buy a really nice tent for the rental price and still have money left over.

Mich is right that arrival is the hottest part of the day. So the luxury of having your tent set up for you may be worth it to some. Even if it is set up it will be way to hot to be spending any time inside until later. We just set our tent up before showering so it is really just camp sweat on top of riding sweat.

If money is not tight and this is your very first weeklong bike tour I would say consider renting. It will enhance the enjoyment of your experience.

Racingmom, February 9, 2011 at 9:25 pm

My son and I rode our first Ragbrai last year and we went with PBV and their tent rental.  It made the ride MUCH easier for us and took one big chore away – allowing us to acclimate a little better to the number of people, the weather and standing in line for the kybos. 

PBV runs a first class operation.  Mich were you with PBV last year?   I’m so sorry we didn’t get the chance to meet.  I was there with a very tall teenage son named Josh (who was hanging out with the PBV crew).

SFC JKL 2, February 9, 2011 at 9:49 pm

-arrival is the hottest part of the day

I hate to break it to you, but 7 PM is not the hottest part of the day. They do sell beer along the route you know…

Michrider !!!, February 10, 2011 at 5:59 am

Racingmom said: My son and I rode our first Ragbrai last year and we went with PBV and their tent rental.  It made the ride MUCH easier for us and took one big chore away – allowing us to acclimate a little better to the number of people, the weather and standing in line for the kybos. 

PBV runs a first class operation.  Mich were you with PBV last year?   I’m so sorry we didn’t get the chance to meet.  I was there with a very tall teenage son named Josh (who was hanging out with the PBV crew).

Racingmom, I was not with PBV last year.  A good friend of mine talked me into going with him and Bubba’s group (mistake on my part).  Your right about PBV, they’re great!  I’ll be back with Porkbellys (tent rental) again this year!

Bikerider, February 10, 2011 at 7:03 am

Michrider,
I have signed up with Bubba. Will that be a problem? I wanted the tent set up service, which we signed up for. He even called me already. This is our first year, so hope his service works out…….

turtlemom, February 10, 2011 at 7:14 am

My daughter and I were with Bubba last year and had an awesome time, great service and loved all the crew!

Michrider !!!, February 10, 2011 at 7:17 am

turtlemom said: My daughter and I were with Bubba last year and had an awesome time, great service and loved all the crew!

Yeah, I remember you and your daughter.  I saw you two having fun!  I had a very good time.  I just prefer PBV!

jjr, February 10, 2011 at 9:15 am

I’ve used PBV and was happy – well run and efficient.  However, they service a large number of campers – probably close to 1,000 – so expect lines. 

If you go the tent set up/rental route be forwarned you do not get the same tent each night.    I didn’t have a problem, but I did hear a few stories about “dirty” and/or “fragrant” tents by weeks end.  I went the rental route last year, this year I’m setting my own up.

I found the  beer and hot showers to be a big plus…..

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters