Pork Belly Ventures 2011

If your looking for a Charter, check out my favorite, PBV!

http://www.porkbellyventures.com/index.php

126 Replies

mclousing, February 10, 2011 at 11:16 am

I used PBV last year, loved it, signed up for this year within hours of getting the Invitation email :).  As for tent rental I don’t do it, for less than the cost of a rental tent I got a “Turbo Tent” it has about the same footprint as a normal 4 person tent however it is much taller (almost 6′) than most 4 person tents.  Also as the name implies I can put it up or take down in less than 2 minutes.

Overall do what you want – it is your vacation, but if you are not enjoying yourself lower your expectations, although with pbv your expectations really don’t have to be low.

Michrider !!!, February 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I’ve sent in my PBV registration with my check.  RAGBRAI is paid for!  I’m ready to go!  How much cash do I need for my pocket?  Will $50 get me thru a week of curb drinking????

dbrink, February 14, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Hi all. 

I’m a first-timer for ragbrai and have already sent in my deposit for PBV, as they seem to be highly recommended.  

I’m bringing my own tent.  The rest of the costs seem reasonable and I might just be cheap but I can setup my tent in less than 10 minutes – I don’t care how hot it is if I’m saving $400 πŸ˜€

“Bicycle Bill”, February 15, 2011 at 3:05 am

Michrider said: I’ve sent in my PBV registration with my check.  RAGBRAI is paid for!  I’m ready to go!  How much cash do I need for my pocket?  Will $50 get me thru a week of curb drinking????

No, you’ve promised over $50.00 worth of beers to people already!

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, February 15, 2011 at 5:11 am

“Bicycle Bill” said:

Michrider said: I’ve sent in my PBV registration with my check.  RAGBRAI is paid for!  I’m ready to go!  How much cash do I need for my pocket?  Will $50 get me thru a week of curb drinking????

No, you’ve promised over $50.00 worth of beers to people already!-“BB”-

I did?  Must have been drinking again!!!! 

Michrider !!!, February 15, 2011 at 5:12 am

dbrink said: Hi all. 

I’m a first-timer for ragbrai and have already sent in my deposit for PBV, as they seem to be highly recommended.  

I’m bringing my own tent.  The rest of the costs seem reasonable and I might just be cheap but I can setup my tent in less than 10 minutes – I don’t care how hot it is if I’m saving $400 πŸ˜€

Yesss!  You made the right decision!!!  I’ll see you under the big tent.  I’ll be the one with a beer in my hand!!!!

Carolfay, February 15, 2011 at 10:07 am

Yes, the Pork Belly folks are an efficient bunch, but be advised that this is a B-I-G operation.  My husband and I traveled with them last summer, and PBV provided everything they said they’d provide, but we didn’t feel much of a personal touch.  Lines for food, toilets and showers were ungodly long.  I spent as much time standing in line for my showers as I would have if I’d gone into town to get cleaned up.  Tammie and Pete never introduced themselves to us; I was never even sure which fellow was Pete.  The tent area seemed every evening to be dominated by the same cliques, who saved chairs for their buddies.  The extra amenities provided were nice, but on the whole, we had better experiences when we traveled in previous years with the Lake Country club, out of Ankeny.  I guess we’re just folks who do better in a smaller group that feels less like a military operation.  In short, we have no legitimate complaints about PBV, but we wouldn’t use them again.

bikeron, February 15, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I also used to ride PBV, but, I stopped when they went over 750 in the Charter, Now, over 900 last year, great folks, just way too large, cannot camp anywhere near the main event.  now have 4 semi’s 1 bus, 3 trucks, etc. etc. 

Michrider !!!, February 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm

With all the other charter chatter, I think I’ll bump up my favorite, PBV!!!

benherr, February 20, 2011 at 2:56 pm

That’s why there are so many different charters. Different strokes for different folks (so to speak). PBV is big, but they get the job done (with style). Pete and Tammy have always taken care of me, so I keep coming back. Hope to meet you , Mitch.

ben

Michrider !!!, February 20, 2011 at 2:58 pm

benherr said: That’s why there are so many different charters. Different strokes for different folks (so to speak). PBV is big, but they get the job done (with style). Pete and Tammy have always taken care of me, so I keep coming back. Hope to meet you , Mitch.

ben

I’ll be easy to find!

Michrider !!!, February 28, 2011 at 8:54 am

Only 145 more days till RAGBRAI!!!!  

http://www.pkbelly.com/newsletter.php

Dave Merriman, March 3, 2011 at 1:36 pm

We take our own because we have a condo-sized tent where we can all be in one place. Not much of a hassle to set up either.  The rental tents are likely already taken anyway.  See you there!

barb.f said:

Michrider said: If your looking for a Charter, check out my favorite, PBV! http://www.porkbellyventures.com/index.php

Hey, there’s a group of us from NJ/PA using PBV (our first RAGBRAI) and a couple of us are trying to decide between taking own tent or renting.  Other than cost, anyone have opinion on which way to go??? 

Michrider !!!, March 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Dave said:

We take our own because we have a condo-sized tent where we can all be in one place. Not much of a hassle to set up either.  The rental tents are likely already taken anyway.  See you there!

barb.f said:

Michrider said: If your looking for a Charter, check out my favorite, PBV! http://www.porkbellyventures.com/index.php

Hey, there’s a group of us from NJ/PA using PBV (our first RAGBRAI) and a couple of us are trying to decide between taking own tent or renting.  Other than cost, anyone have opinion on which way to go??? 

You’ll have a great time with PBV, look me up and we’ll drink a few beers!  I’m renting a tent this year.  The hottest part of the day is when it’s tent time in the PM.  With PBV’s tent service, you just leave your bags in the tent in the AM and the magic Gnomes put them back inside at the end of the day!!!!

Racingmom, March 23, 2011 at 3:53 am

Mitch I’ll be stopping by PBV to say hello at some point — they have 2 new trucks, the PHAT trucks which are air conditioned rooms.  We were hoping for one, but they were gone in a blink.

So we’ve rented a bus and I’ve enlisted my better half to drive.  Now I’m guaranteed fresh salads with dinner and no kybo lines at night.    I can’t wait!  

We’re going to miss being around the porkers, but don’t want to miss the Elders concert.  πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015