Pork Belly Ventures 2011

If your looking for a Charter, check out my favorite, PBV!

http://www.porkbellyventures.com/index.php

126 Replies

pHIlo, April 11, 2011 at 11:10 am

HA!

helenheart, April 11, 2011 at 3:11 pm

pHIlo said: HA!

speaking of avatars…………………………..

benherr, April 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Hear, hear !

(is that how it goes ?)

ben

Phil1961, April 11, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Last year I was a first timer on Ragbrai and with PBV. I am doing Ragbrai again this year and I signed up with PBV including the tent service again.

I am not on a team and PBV made it very comfortable for a week on a bike and camping. Showers, massages, beer, food, tents, chairs, mechanic’s, laundry service, coffee, free air and plenty of friendly smiles.

Short of a luxery RV with close friends I would find it hard to go elsewhere.

Michrider !!!, April 12, 2011 at 5:44 am

iceman said:   Every year it’s the same deal.  Who ever is on top – doing the best job – they get dissed in the Forum.  That’s sad.  Hey – I don’t get paid by Pork Belly.  But I’ve used them the last four years.  Why?  They are the best.  Are there cheaper outfitters? Yes.  Can you find outfitters with fewer people?  Yep.  So why don’t I go to another outfitter?

I go back to PBV because they do it so well.  And that nonsense about “geez – it so big and impersonal  unless you have used them forever.” I have to call BS on that.  If you go out of your way to become an aquaintance of Tammy, she’ll remember you whether you are a newcomer or someone who has used PBV for years.  You’ll never meet a nicer individual than Tammy Pavich.  

That old cliche about “you get what you pay for” is only partially correct as far as PBV is concerned.  You get more.  Those guys at PBV actually enjoy what they do for a living.  How many of us can say that?  And it shows up in how many people are loyal to PBV and to Tammy and to Pete.  

I’ll bet Michrider agrees with me – even though PBV serves Boulevard Beer.

Iceman, HE.LL Yes I agree!!!! PBV is the best!!   This year I’m back with PBV & tent service after going with another charter last year (mistake on my part).  PBV not personable?  What about beverages provided, chairs in the shade of the big circus tents, entertainment 2-3 nights during the week, showers provided, 2 or 3 meals provided at camp during the week, transport across Iowa in luxury bus, mid week laundry service (huge!) and last but not least, the magic gnomes who put up my tent each day and place my bags inside the door! I’m sure I missed a service or two but that’s a good snapshot.  All of this weeklong support is provided by friendly and local Iowa residents Pete, Tammy and their fantastic crew!   As far as I’m concerened PBV is the best!

KittySlayer, April 12, 2011 at 6:47 am

iceman said: And that nonsense about “geez – it so big and impersonal  unless you have used them forever.” I have to call BS on that.  If you go out of your way to become an aquaintance of Tammy, she’ll remember you whether you are a newcomer or someone who has used PBV for years.  You’ll never meet a nicer individual than Tammy Pavich……

Gotta agree. My wife and three girlfriends used PBV in 2005. It was the only year that Peg went on RAGBRAI.  I sent an e-mail to Tammy asking a question about this years trip. Tammy promptly replied with an answer and she asked how Peg was doing. So Tammy had only seen Peg one week (six years ago) and neither my wife nor I have been to Iowa the last three years. If you want to make friends use PBV if you want to buy friends go to a strip club.

I originally chose PBV six years ago for my wife and three non-cycling friends were doing a girls trip on RAGBRAI. My wife is an experienced cycling tourist and would have been just fine without a team. The advantage of PBV was the girls  had a backup plan if something went wrong for any one of the four of them. In addition it was a vacation for all four women and they were willing and wanted to pay a little extra for some of the comforts and extra support provided by PBV.

Really it is just like Spring Break. You can go cheap or you can go expensive and have a good time either way. It just depends on if you want to drive 20 hours straight in a car with rusted out floorboards where you can see the highway underneath you and stay in a sixty year old motel or fly to the beach in a couple of hours and stay in a resort with amenities. Either way is fun but if you can afford it one is more comfortable.

getbent, April 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

I never said that PBV was bad or that Tammy wasn’t nice…rather, I felt lost in the crowd. Tammy was incredibly helpful and nice via e-mail prior to the trip. I didn’t feel that same personal touch once I got to Omaha.That’s my opinion and I am entitled to it. I am in no way telling people not to go with PBV…like I said before, it’s a wonderful operation. Showers included, food provided, all good things…Some people may prefer a smaller charter and they should know what they are getting into with a 1000 person charter, especially if it costs nearly $1K for the week.

PBV is fantastic! (Does that make it all better?)

And Helen- save the cuss jar money for wine…isn’t that what it’s for? 🙂

Spokane Dave, April 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm

helenheart said:

getbent said: I’d have to concur with the posting above the PBV is HUGE and it’s pretty easy to feel like a faceless paycheck. Folks that have traveled with them a long time seemed to get much better treatment than the new ones. It was still a wonderful operation that met all my expectations, but I agree that there wasn’t much of a personal touch.

getbent……your avatar freaked me out. I had to put $3298 in the Cuss Jar before I realized I did not have an ant inside my screen……….

LOL!  I was wondering how I could to that!

RJBTrek, April 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Kitty Slayer said:  Gotta agree. My wife and three girlfriends used PBV in 2005.

Forget about PBV.  How the heck did you get your wife and three girl friends on the same trip? Now that is a charter service!!!

BenEClone, April 27, 2011 at 10:17 pm

WOW!  I last rode Ragbrai and traveled with PVV in ’05.  I really enjoyed it.  They didn’t do tent rental and reluctantly set out your shower bags if you had them.  Mid-week laundry was a real challenge for the limited crew, but, proceeds went to Juvenile Diabetes.   If I recall correctly, they had two trucks then – maybe a couple hundred folks.  Their growth is phenomenal – evidence that they are providing a service that people want.  This year, I may or may not do the whole week.  If I can go, I’ll use the DMR truck because of expense.  (Does anyone know – it seems that more people must be with charters and teams than with DMR?)   Ride your own ride. 

jwsknk, April 28, 2011 at 7:00 am

from what I remember from the Jan. meeting, 1500 use the Register semi’s for baggage, the other 6500 use teams/charters/private vehicales.

bigheavy, May 8, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I am going with PBV this year, and this is my first bike ride. Well……multiple day bike ride. I quit smoking so I could drink more, and now I am starting bike riding so that I can eat and drink without the incessant nagging of my cardiologist. Somehow I wound up picking Ragbrai as a launch for a new past time……….the beer best be cold!! I am looking forward to drinking a dozen or so with all y’all….anybody from Texas with PBV this year??

Michrider !!!, May 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm

bigheavy said: I am going with PBV this year, and this is my first bike ride. Well……multiple day bike ride. I quit smoking so I could drink more, and now I am starting bike riding so that I can eat and drink without the incessant nagging of my cardiologist. Somehow I wound up picking Ragbrai as a launch for a new past time……….the beer best be cold!! I am looking forward to drinking a dozen or so with all y’all….anybody from Texas with PBV this year??

I’ll see you under the big circus tent (how appropriate!) with a cold beer!!!!

WFS, May 8, 2011 at 7:25 pm

bigheavy said: I am going with PBV this year, and this is my first bike ride. Well……multiple day bike ride. I quit smoking so I could drink more, and now I am starting bike riding so that I can eat and drink without the incessant nagging of my cardiologist. Somehow I wound up picking Ragbrai as a launch for a new past time……….the beer best be cold!! I am looking forward to drinking a dozen or so with all y’all….anybody from Texas with PBV this year??

bigheavy….Texas will be representin’ this year!  I finally stopped lurking and since I know I’m in, thanks to the lottery, this is a great first post for me!  I’m a RAGBRAI and PBV virgin …but not for long!

John L, May 9, 2011 at 4:57 am

big, We are from Louisiana…just across the border. We just got back from Shiner! I great little ride down there. You should do it next year. My brother lives near Longview and is training for HHH.  He is trimming down too. This will be our first Rag.  I have ridden a good bit the last 3 years, she is struggling to get her miles in.  See you there…I will be like Mich…a beer in hand. Did someone say they have Boulevard? I am in on that.

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015