RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Portable Showers

I just heard that there might be bans on the portable showers that some (many) teams have. Ours attached to the exterior of the bus. Anyone know anything about it? RAGBRAI may be getting very stinky!!

17 Replies

Sandaltan ., April 3, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Is your source reliable Zinger??? Discharge of grey water into anything other than a municipal sewer system is illegal and has been for years. But……we have done this forever. I don’t believe this will change.

RIDE RIGHT

Zinger, April 4, 2012 at 7:53 am

Very reliable. She said they were fining teams in Carroll last year and that Anamosa already had a ban in place for this year. We always park on private property, so I’m not sure what can/can’t be enforced.

Michrider !!!, April 4, 2012 at 8:02 am

RAGBRAI general informantion, https://ragbrai.com/about/general-information/#37

“A number of campers use sun-heated portable showers. According to state law, it is illegal to dispose of waste water into any state-owned natural or artificial lake. Additionally you are requested to dispose of this water through appropriate sewage access. Please do not dump portable showers on the ground.”

jwsknk, April 4, 2012 at 8:36 am

subject came up at the Ride Right meeting years ago too. I think that’s when they added what Mich said. But I don’t know how not to dump it on the ground, make a collection pan and dump it into a gray water tank and haul it to where the RV’s dump? And what about garden hose showers?

gas gas, April 4, 2012 at 9:12 am

Will the towns be set up for the a.m. when 10,000 people want to brush their teeth ? that is also gray water .

Michrider !!!, April 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm

gas gas:
Will the towns be set up for the a.m. when 10,000 people want to brush their teeth ? that is also gray water .

How many towns are going to have shower police and or teeth brushing police???

Zinger, April 4, 2012 at 6:37 pm

That sounds like a job for you Mich!! I don’t see how the portable showers differ that much from washing your car in the driveway.

Michrider !!!, April 4, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Zinger:
That sounds like a job for you Mich!! I don’t see how the portable showers differ that much from washing your car in the driveway.

Zinger it’s one of those rules (laws?) that could be enforced depending on the local authorities. If they did do enforcement, it could get nasty!

cubbies1945, April 4, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Well, then tell me where they have a place for all 12,000 people to shower in a convient place where everyone can easily get to and in and out of. It sure as heck isn’t the high school showers. The high school showers work, but only for a few hundred people at the most. These places need to decide if they want the tourism $ or to enforce a law about grey water. Most of the time this law makes sense, but once every year is not going to hurt anything…

Ragbrai Nation, April 5, 2012 at 1:23 am

I agree. My guess is in the Carroll deal there was some blatant, RV gray water (or worse) dumping infractions. It’s hard to imagine a few portable showers creating a superfund problem for any community.

jwsknk, April 5, 2012 at 6:58 am

In Carroll a lot of us used a garden hose laid out across the vry large lawn down by the garden. He also had a red-neck swimming pool (large stock tank)I’m sure just got dumped out the next day.
Wonder if they didn’t find some RV’s or someone else dumping directly into the storm sewers which go directly to waterways and not the treatment plant.

Michrider !!!, April 5, 2012 at 7:17 am

If none of us showered between Sioux Center and Clinton, we’d all smell the same! Who would notice?

Scratchy, April 5, 2012 at 7:49 am

I’m struggling to understand how this is any different than washing my car in my driveway with soap and water?

Michrider !!!, April 6, 2012 at 6:09 am

Bacchettaman:
I agree. My guess is in the Carroll deal there was some blatant, RV gray water (or worse) dumping infractions. It’s hard to imagine a few portable showers creating a superfund problem for any community.

Anyone know what happened in Carroll????

Sandaltan ., April 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I think Bacchettaman has provided the best guess; remember, the RVs are in a separate camp ground and if your neighbor RV dumps two or three days worth of grey water on the ground and someone complains….well, that complaint must be addressed. Particularly if the the driver of the neighboring RVs have done the right thing and spent the time and effort to properly dispose of their grey water tank.

RIDE RIGHT Just a guess of course.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI