Postpone RAGBRAI XLVIII to 2021??

I could be wrong but it appears doubtful COVID-19 will be under complete control with very little chance any riders, townspeople and venders could become infected. I don’t really want it to postpone but, also, I want it to be “safe” with almost zero chance of infection. If postponed to 2021, I propose the route to be retained in fairness to all communities involved. For planning, the decision for RAGBRAI should be done by at least early to mid May.

If postponed one year, the 50th RAGBRAI could occur in 2023, the 50th anniversary of the first ride.

109 Replies

Dizzy, April 3, 2020 at 10:54 am

BRAG (Georgia: End of May) hasn’t cancelled yet.
They’re holding out until April 30th to decide. D

Ryan D, April 4, 2020 at 11:59 pm

RASDaK has postponed until June 2021 🙁

MJA, April 5, 2020 at 8:22 am

Bike Virginia scheduled for June postponed to a date to be determined.

Bernard Schwartze, April 5, 2020 at 11:12 am

RASDaK has postponed until June 2021 🙁

That is a bummer.

RASDak has decided to postpone “The Best Dam Ride” until June 6-12, 2021. The pandemic is expected to peak in SD mid June, which made our decision an easy one, although we did consider RASDak branded face masks. 🙂

While the date will change, the rest of the tour will remain the same.

Thanks to the many who had already registered, we were well on our way to the biggest RASDak yet. For you, we have the following options:
1. Don’t do a thing and you will stay registered for “The Best Dam Ride.” We will resend confirmation emails by January 1, 2021.

2. If you are unsure of your plans next year, you can wait until February 28, 2021 to request a refund.

3. If you know that the 2021 dates will not work for you, please email rasdakbiketour@gmail.com by April 30, 2020 to request a refund.

Refunds will be for all registration and optional purchases, minus the registration Race Roster processing fee. RASDak does ask that you consider designating a portion of your refund towards the SD Bicyclist Advocacy Fund.

This year’s tour was to raise money for the newly established SD Bicyclist Advocacy Fund. While the immediate concern is to address how unfair South Dakota’s contributory negligence law is to a bicyclist, this fund will be used to advocate for future issues that are of concern to SD bicyclists.

Our fundraising efforts have taken a major hit with the postponement of RASDak. We would appreciate any help you can give, by donating part of your refund towards this fund, or by going to http://rasdak.com/donate and contributing directly.

This crisis reminds us of how precious time with friends is, we hope to see all of ours on “The Best Dam Ride.” Until then, may you and your loved ones remain safe.

Sincerely,
The RASDak Team

mcpartla, April 9, 2020 at 1:33 pm

Here’s more ‘food for thought’ on bicycling, running and walking with or near other people … even in the ‘slipstream’ with what we think is a safe distance …

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

Mary, April 9, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Good to know. I’ve been thinking this every time I go out on the trails in the park close by. I never used to see anyone and now there are always 3 or 4 or WAY more in my sight. I’ve been wearing a face covering, which has been a winter scarf, double wrapped, because it’s still chilly enough here where I live. Sometimes I have to slow down and let two large groups pass each other before I can pass both of them. And I breathe heavy going up hills, as must the other bikers and runners. I considered there were probably droplets hanging around that I’m riding into or leaving behind…Thanks for posting. Be safe out there.

skb-mpls, April 10, 2020 at 8:06 am

mcpartla:

Thanks for the informative link!

Living in Mpls – I have stopped riding on the terrific local bike paths six weeks ago. Toooo much traffic. I was worried about passing someone on the 2 way trails and the desire to pass slower riders…. The closing of the parkway to cars – and opening them up to walkers/joggers has not reduced the threat to cyclist as most cyclists are abiding by the 6 ft separation which is waaaay to close.

I’ve been cycling on off hours, less used city streets and bike lanes. On residential streets if I see another cyclist coming my way I will turn down another street so I don’t pass by them. For the last month I have been using the 30 ft. spacing. I will increase that to 70 ft now.

In higher density cities – I don’t see how one can cycle safely now. I now envy someone living in rural areas of the country. haha.

Yes, I’m using a cloth mask, safety vest (I call it “my wife made me wear it” vest) and have my front and back lights on blink mode riding in Mpls for increased visibility from cars.

Stay safe everyone!

Hope to see all in 2021!

Dizzy, April 11, 2020 at 6:01 am

BRAG (Georgia) is cancelled:
The health and well-being of our riders, staff, volunteers, and partners is a priority for BRAG. We are committed to making decisions that align with this priority.⁠ We are committed to playing a constructive role to limit the spread of the virus which is why we are moving the 41st Annual Bicycle Ride Across Georgia to June 5 – 12, 2021. Same ride, routes, good times and good vibes! Your registration and merchandise will be automatically transferred, you don’t need to do a thing. In the mean time, ride your bike! Cycling supports a healthy immune system.

Dizzy, April 11, 2020 at 6:24 am

mcpartla,

Great article. I’d left the crowded park this past week for more isolated roadways.
Then, I stopped to assist a fellow cyclist change a tire this week. I didn’t put on gloves or a mask the entire time. I didn’t even think about it until I was riding again. It just doesn’t come natural. Now I’m back on the 14-day paranoid incubation timeline!
Tough times indeed. D

Logan Foltz, April 14, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Oklahoma Freewheel is the latest to be postponed to 2021. Little Red in Utah was also cancelled this past weekend.

As far as June rides, I am still keeping tabs on Ride the Rockies, which is supposed to be announced on May 1st. Not sure there are any other big tours that haven’t been postponed.

In July, in addition to RAGBRAI, there is the Triple Bypass in Colorado on 7/11. I’d love to do it but it’s hard to train for such a tough ride when the dark cloud of postponement hovers over the event.

Dizzy, April 18, 2020 at 9:51 am

The Pan Ohio Hope Ride, an American Cancer Society fund raiser in Ohio, has been converted from a live event (July 23 – 26…the same week as RAGBRAI) to a virtual event.

William Weber, April 18, 2020 at 11:05 am

Absolutely postpone Ragbrai 2020. Keep the same route for 2021. During Ragbrai, hygiene is sketchy at best (think Kybo’s, Food trucks, etc.) Just think how long lines would be at 6 ft distance for Kybo’s, Farm Kids, Mr. Pork Chop, Beekman’s just to name a few. Crowds and close proximity are constant in pass through towns or overnight towns entertainment. Each overnight town has crowded buses for shuttles. Many riders depend on overnight town homes to host them. Who wants riders to bring the virus to town or inside their home? Riders come from all over the US and will bring the COVID 19 with them. People will get sick on the ride and many rural hospitals could quickly get overwhelmed. As a rider, who wants to get sick so far from home and your local support network? No one. The country will have herd immunity or a vaccine for 2021 and a safer experience for all. RAGBRAI – Please Postpone 2020 to 2021.

Logan Foltz, April 23, 2020 at 4:27 pm

Ride the Rockies was finally postponed.

Logan Foltz, April 23, 2020 at 5:02 pm

It appears that the Tour de Wyoming was also called off.

The Triple Bypass in Colorado is still on for now. That and Iowa’s Ride are the only tours in July I am aware of that are still greenlit at this point.

Rick, April 23, 2020 at 8:57 pm

The Erie Canal Ride is still scheduled…

https://www.ptny.org/cycle-the-erie-canal/annual-bike-tour

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015