RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

potter hill/ragbri routes/ and drinking/ finding your gear

i don’t care what folks say about potter hill. i’ve herd all the stories. After all the post that i have read, it seems that the first half of the hill is 2 to 5 %, then for about 500 yrds. it’s around 15 to 16%.A grind for half a mile or so.

I did the biggest hill in the black hills.I called it the monster.I did this hill only after riding in ther hills for about 2 months worth of riding. I rode about 5 miles just to get there. then the fun started. They said it was impossible.It was a 17% for 2 miles with turns at the top. I made it but had to use granny gear on the last couple a hundred yards of it. it was rude.
and i did it on a mt. bike. So i really don’t think that potter hill will be much of a hill of that magnitude.

Routes, who and what routes are decided. and is potter hill always at the end of every ride. I hope so. My fear ir riding in the rain with a head wind.

drinking/  I have watched a lot of videos on you tube about ragbri. and it sure does look like fun, but it looks like a lot of folks are getting wasted. That’s fine, but are those the ones that don’t finish the ride or do they finish.And do they drink everyday and ride like the wind the next day. I do know one thing. I will not over indulge in any kind of partying. I am not much of a drinker anyway.

I’ll have maybe 1 beer after the ride at the end of each day just to relax and be sociable.

At the end of the day, will i be able to find my bag in the camping area without much effort?Thanks

12 Replies

esox, November 26, 2011 at 8:18 pm

You sure you haven’t been drinking all day today?

SFC JKL 2, November 27, 2011 at 9:43 am

Alot of topics in one post.  Potter’s Hill was a one time deal as the route’s different every year. If you want hills, try http://www.horriblyhilly.com/home.html  http://www.dairylanddare.com/ or if you want to come down south, our local ride is http://www.cyclenorthgeorgia.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Ragbrai is whatever you want to make of it.  You are missing the scale of the event.  No matter what you want to do, you can find several hundred others who want to do the same thing.  Yes, people do drink all day, everyday.  You’ll find high heat and exercise is an incredible buzzkill.  As long as you keep up your electrolyte levels, you’ll find you can drink an incredible amount of alcohol.  But if you don’t want to drink at all, that’s OK too.

The biggest rookie mistake is going too fast.  It’s a ride not a race.  Unless you stop to look around, you’re missing the best part.

Sandaltan ., November 27, 2011 at 10:55 am

“At the end of the day, will i be able to find my bag in the camping area without much effort?Thanks”

Yes you will be able to find your bag but that will require effort.  Make note of which truck you bag is on and where on the truck you load your bag.  Nose of the truck…center…or rear.  That is the order the bags will be spread on the ground.  In order to find your bag among others you are wise to mark your bag with paint, colored tape, strips of plastic, strips of cloth or similar.  If it rains, plan on it, your bag will get wet.  So waterproof your stuff by using a waterproof bag or lining your bag with a plastic bag or using smaller ziploc bags inside your big bag.  You have worked in a park, you know how miserable unprepared campers can be in a rain storm.

RIDE RIGHT

seminole11, November 27, 2011 at 11:05 am

thnaks sandletan for the info, and sfc/jkl2, NO I do not want to up to north GA. and take on those hills for very long. As you know I am from GA.And i love to go to north GA and mt. bike. And I have alot of fun. But there is one place in chatsworth ga, where i go to bike and I get my A– kicked everytime i go there.

This place is just to much.I like cross country riding,but like the trails too.I do like to climb hills, but in north GA. it is very tough there. I have ridden all over the country, and north GA seems to be the toughest. Thanks

Amanda, November 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm

What really made Potters hill challenging was the other bikers going up it with you. Alot of bikes in front of you going really slow and people walking slow up the hill – well lets just say it was hard to keep your momentum going. I freaked at the beginning and was afraid I would trip over going that slow. The crowd doesn’t usually affect me but that time it did. I gave up  and walked my bike. At least there weren’t any cars . . .

I doubt if Potter’s Hill will be on the route this year. We just were there 2 years ago and the route doesn’t usually repeat it’s self that soon.

Just remember this is a vacation. For many of us, our only vacation so we are trying to cram all the fun we can in 7 days! That is why if a person gets wasted the night before, they are up the next day, ready to ride and to do it again.

It’s your vacation. You gotta do what you wanna do. ;)

seminole11, November 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm

yea but, i can’t drink like a fish and go ride the next day.It just does not work for me. I have to be in good shape with no hang over inorder to ride.Thanks

Michrider !!!, November 27, 2011 at 5:18 pm

seminole11 said: yea but, i can’t drink like a fish and go ride the next day.It just does not work for me. I have to be in good shape with no hang over inorder to ride.Thanks

Simple solution, “don’t drink like a fish”!  Not everyone on RAGBRAI gets drunk every day!!!!  At least that’s what I’ve been told, LOL!!!!!!

“Bicycle Bill”, November 27, 2011 at 7:44 pm

That’s true, the ‘B’ and the ‘R’ in RAGBRAI do not necessarily stand for ‘Beer Run’.  There are a surprisingly large number of riders who are friends of Bill W. — I know several of them personally — and many more who ride as if they were.

The ride is what you make of it.  If you want to turn it into a drunken orgy of alcohol, recreational drugs, and licentious behavior, you can do it.  If you want to ride the ride like it was a Baptist Sunday School picnic, you can do that also.

Remember though that whatever way you decide to do RAGBRAI, you are going to be doing it in the company of several thousand other people, not all of whom are going to share your outlook on things.  Let’s just say you may want to learn just when and where to moderate your behavior.  And that holds just as true for the balls-to-the-wall Type ‘A’ personalities who treat the ride as if it were a warmup brevet ride for Paris-Brest-Paris as it does for the people who look upon RAGBRAI as “Woodstock on Wheels”.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, November 28, 2011 at 9:42 am

Amanda said: What really made Potters hill challenging was the other bikers going up it with you. Alot of bikes in front of you going really slow and people walking slow up the hill – well lets just say it was hard to keep your momentum going. I freaked at the beginning and was afraid I would trip over going that slow. The crowd doesn’t usually affect me but that time it did. I gave up  and walked my bike. At least there weren’t any cars . . .

I doubt if Potter’s Hill will be on the route this year. We just were there 2 years ago and the route doesn’t usually repeat it’s self that soon.

Just remember this is a vacation. For many of us, our only vacation so we are trying to cram all the fun we can in 7 days! That is why if a person gets wasted the night before, they are up the next day, ready to ride and to do it again.

It’s your vacation. You gotta do what you wanna do. ;)

Yeah, I agree with Amanda.  When someone stopped in front of me, on Potter’s, I decided it was safer to walk! The hill was packed! Much to my delight, I found a beer booth at the top of the hill! It was hot and the beer was cold but no curbs!!!!!

kicks9, November 29, 2011 at 1:40 pm

RAGBRAI, is not that tough especially considering how many mandatory stops there are.  I say mandatory because you have no choice but to get off the bike and walk through the passthrough towns.  There is soo much traffic that you cannot ride through safely.  So yes people can drink and get drunk all day every day.  They only have to make it 10 miles at a time, i think the furthest I have seen in the past 2 years is 22 miles between towns.  There were still vendors along the side of the road where you can stop and eat drink and get more drunk.  RAGBRAI is what you make of it and you can do it anyway you choose.  RV style, tent camp, or charter (that even sets up your tent for you).  You can stay in hotels everynight or setup your own tent in the main campgrounds.  It is truely what you want to put into the planning and what you want out of your RAGBRAI.

Kicks9

seminole11, November 30, 2011 at 7:06 pm

yea,  i agree. If i want to get drunk on the last town for the day i will. But i really don’t think that will happen.I will pay for it the next day. I am more worried about shaving in the morning and shower lines.Thanks.

SFC JKL 2, November 30, 2011 at 9:56 pm

seminole11-  If you want to do a steep ride early in the year you could do Brasstown Bald http://www.brasstownbaldbustercentury.com/

80 miles with 6k climbing or 94 with 14k.  (Hogpen is a CAT 1 and Brasstown is an HC)

As far as shaving, Muddy Waters done invented electricity.  Doesn’t do as good, but two minutes with somebody’s rearview mirror and I’m ready to go.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters