Pre-RAGBRAI week; looking for place to RV camp with good cell service for work

We are coming to RAGBRAI from Florida. We will drive our RV to Muscatine, park it in long term parking and meet up with our Charter.

We are planning to leave the weekend before (July 16th) and get ourselves close to Muscatine for an easy drive in on the 23rd.

During the week of the 18th we will need solid cell service for work. Does anyone have good suggestions of RV parks or campgrounds in large enough areas where cell service will be decent? Hoping to find a spot that would also offer some good riding opportunities for those last prep miles.

I’ve been looking for somewhere between Indianapolis and Muscatine as we plan to come through Indy. Hoping to get within 125 miles of Muscatine.

3 Replies

jimval, June 6, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Cell service should be pretty good all along Interstate 74. Bloomington, or Peoria (Fondulac park?) are good candidates but if it were me (very biased) I would push it a little and stay a couple days in the Quad Cities/Muscatine. Buffalo shores, Clarks Landing, Shady Creek, or Fairport. Buffalo shores is only a couple miles from the Quad city trail system that will connect you to 90+ miles of trails. I live half way between the QC and Muscatine and regularly get 4g (verizon).

Good Luck!

Jim

Karen Hodges, June 7, 2016 at 8:41 am

Awesome. Thanks Jim. Great to have local insight! I will hunt this down today.

Craig Parson, June 9, 2016 at 7:52 am

Cell service is often overwhelmed by 50,000 cell phones that are usually not there. I suggest you make sure you are able to find a clear wifi signal so you can use any app that allows phone calls over wifi as a backup plan. Google voice, skpe and a host of others will do the job for free. Have a backup plan ready to go just in case the cell network does not cooperate.

Kwog

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015