RAGBRAI LI Registration is Now Open!

Proper procedure?

So I’m out pedaling the other day, just about to the bottom of a hill and a skunk flies out of the ditch right in front of me, my tactical maneuver was to slam the breaks almost going over the handlebars while screaming like a little girl and turning around as fast as I could. lol The guy in the car that had just came over the top of the hill passed me laughing uncontrollably, I think I made his day. I’m guessing though that this is not the way to handle a skunk/critter on Ragbrai. On the ride, do you just hit it, hop it or what?

7 Replies

Michrider !!!, May 16, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Bing:
So I’m out pedaling the other day, just about to the bottom of a hill and a skunk flies out of the ditch right in front of me, my tactical maneuver was to slam the breaks almost going over the handlebars while screaming like a little girl and turning around as fast as I could. lol The guy in the car that had just came over the top of the hill passed me laughing uncontrollably, I think I made his day.I’m guessing though that this is not the way to handle a skunk/critter on Ragbrai.On the ride, do you just hit it, hop it or what?

Please don’t hit the “Skunks” on RAGBRAI!!! There will be an entire team of Skunks on the ride!!! Not all of them are bad, LMAO!!!!!

kicks9, May 16, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I would say no dont do that on RAGBRAI, but you acted as any other would in the same situation so how do you stop a reflex action? I would be more worried about being sprayed by the thing than anything else. If you do hit it and crash, then you will likely still get sprayed so what do you do?

Kicks9

Greg I-Fly-Sky, May 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Ringing a bike bell probably isn’t going to do much. Airhorn??
Whip out your pistol and shoot at it?

knees36, May 16, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Hint: You’ve just gotta ask Team Roadkill. They like to “decorate” the unfortunate critters with their beads along side the road on RAG. They have even decorated a clump of good ol’ Iowa dirt out on the road on occasion when critters have been too wary to get run over. Actually, you probably would never see a skunk or any other critter unless you start riding very early in the morning or riding very late into the evening. The hours and hours of riders at any point on the route on each day of the ride will have scared any critters back to their dens long before the vast majority of riders go by their “digs.” Cheers. 8)

jwsknk, May 17, 2012 at 7:37 am

Poor little gut was probably just out chasing down some grubb, or on a beer run. Unless he stopped, turned around and started stomping his feet, not much to worry about.

Bentongoing, May 17, 2012 at 10:31 am

I propose we put up skunk crossing signs, then the skunks all know where to cross and we only have a few places where we need to slow down and watch for them. I thought about crossing guards but that would be too expensive, and skunks are way too tough to organize into groups.

jwsknk, May 17, 2012 at 11:47 am

Bentongoing: I propose we put up skunk crossing signs, then the skunks all know where to cross and we only have a few places where we need to slow down and watch for them. I thought about crossing guards but that would be too expensive, and skunks are way too tough to organize into groups.

GOT THAT RIGHT. Although most Skunk Skamperings don’t happen in the daylight, perfer foraging in the moonlight, or neonlight.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI