RAGBRAI LI Registration is Now Open!

Questions from a first timer

Hi all,

A group of us will riding for the first time this year, trying to get an idea for how a few things play out. We will have drivers, so getting our things from town to town isn’t an issue. 
As far as the camping areas go … is it usually just one (or a few) main camping areas? I’ve heard sometimes people will rent out their yards for riders to camp in … how does that usually work? We will definitely partake in the festivities, but it might be nice to have an area to retreat to away from all the noise if want more than 5 hours of sleep!
I’m sure I’ll have more questions as it gets closer … thanks in advance!
-J 

30 Replies

Henry, February 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

Hello J-Man. Check your private messages.

Sandaltan ., February 2, 2011 at 10:30 am

Yes Mich they will answer hairball and oddball questions.  Are you snowed in today, that one lane dirt cow path blocked with snow??

RIDER RIGHT and thinking about adding a sewer snake to my RAGBRAI kit.

Michrider !!!, February 2, 2011 at 10:46 am

Sandaltan said: Yes Mich they will answer hairball and oddball questions.  Are you snowed in today, that one lane dirt cow path blocked with snow??

RIDER RIGHT and thinking about adding a sewer snake to my RAGBRAI kit.

No, most of the snow is gone.  Now we just got temps in mid 20’s with 25-35 MPH wind.  That translates into D.A.M.N. cold WIINDCHILL!!!  In my part of Kain-tucky only the rich people have cow paths!!!!

Cathy Veal, February 2, 2011 at 6:28 pm

isitsummer <FONT color=#35349a>said</FONT>:  I just thought of all of the hair that’s being washed and going down the drain. My poor house couldn’t take all that hair and that wouldn’t be pretty.Is It Summer?  and everyone stay safe and warm

Summer, thanks for sharing that thought, Big Yuck!!!!!

Hi Mich,
Sorry but with my luck I would phone the roto rooter guy to take care of the “Big Yuck” only to find out he’s volunteering in the beer tent servering Buds.
Is It Summer?

Michrider !!!, February 2, 2011 at 7:59 pm

isitsummer said:

isitsummer <FONT color=#35349a>said</FONT>:  I just thought of all of the hair that’s being washed and going down the drain. My poor house couldn’t take all that hair and that wouldn’t be pretty.Is It Summer?  and everyone stay safe and warm

Summer, thanks for sharing that thought, Big Yuck!!!!!

Hi Mich, Sorry but with my luck I would phone the roto rooter guy to take care of the “Big Yuck” only to find out he’s volunteering in the beer tent servering Buds.Is It Summer?
Now we’re talking, Budweiser and Iowa curbs!!!!

Davy Sprocket, February 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Michrider said:

isitsummer said:

Summer, thanks for sharing that thought, Big Yuck!!!!! Hi Mich, Sorry but with my luck I would phone the roto rooter guy to take care of the “Big Yuck” only to find out he’s volunteering in the beer tent servering Buds.Is It Summer?

Now we’re talking, Budweiser and Iowa curbs!!!!

I saw the part that he was “serving Buds” and thought he was confused with the Hash/Bash thread.

J-Man, February 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm

this is the bike I looked at today.

i know this is a pretty crappy bike for those of you who are into biking, but im purely a recreational rider … and my finances dont really allow for me to get much higher than the $500 range (this teacher hasnt seen a raise in 3 years). other than ragbrai, i would probably use it once a week or so to give my knees a break from running. 
they had a quick 4 also, but not in my size (im 6’4″)
thoughts?

Michrider !!!, February 3, 2011 at 6:27 pm

J-Man said: this is the bike I looked at today.

i know this is a pretty crappy bike for those of you who are into biking, but im purely a recreational rider … and my finances dont really allow for me to get much higher than the $500 range (this teacher hasnt seen a raise in 3 years). other than ragbrai, i would probably use it once a week or so to give my knees a break from running. 
they had a quick 4 also, but not in my size (im 6’4″)
thoughts?

Hi J Man and welcome!  Buy a bike that you like and that fits you.  Double emphasis on the fit part!!   Don’t worry about what we think!  You will have to ride that bike not us!  Are you buying from a bike shop that will make sure the bike is right for you?  See you on the curb in Iowa!

verylastrider, February 3, 2011 at 6:53 pm

There are all different types of bikes on RAGBRAI.  From beach cruisers to the most expensive road bikes. If you put in enough miles and any bike will work.  Have a good time……

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 7:26 pm

J-man,
Trust me. After a day or two of riding and partying, you will be able to sleep anywhere.  That said, the official campgrounds are usually very nice and are supposed to be quiet at 10pm.

Michrider !!!, February 3, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Davy Sprocket said: J-man,Trust me. After a day or two of riding and partying, you will be able to sleep anywhere.  That said, the official campgrounds are usually very nice and are supposed to be quiet at 10pm.

OK Davy, now I’m lost again!!!!

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm

HUH?

J-Man, February 3, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Hi J Man and welcome!  Buy a bike that you like and that fits you.  Double emphasis on the fit part!!   Don’t worry about what we think!  You will have to ride that bike not us!  Are you buying from a bike shop that will make sure the bike is right for you?  See you on the curb in Iowa!

Thanks, Mich! I’m def not worried about what people say/think … I just wanted to point out that I was at the low-end of the price scale as far as road/hybrid bikes go … so if people had other suggestions they would be in a similar price bracket. 
I went to a few bike shops around town, and I liked and trusted one of them in particular that had this bike. Plus they do free lifetime service, always a plus. There is one more shop I want to checkout before I make a decision. 
Thanks!

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 8:29 pm

J-Man said:

Thanks, Mich! I’m def not worried about what people say/think … I just wanted to point out that I was at the low-end of the price scale as far as road/hybrid bikes go … so if people had other suggestions they would be in a similar price bracket. 

I went to a few bike shops around town, and I liked and trusted one of them in particular that had this bike. Plus they do free lifetime service, always a plus. There is one more shop I want to checkout before I make a decision. 

Thanks!

J-man, my first year, I rode a $25 gary fisher “wahoo” my neighbor had leaning against his barn for years and my wife road a “free” Bianchi which was left on a college campus that I sort of rebuilt the week before the ride.  Bike investment $60 bucks for two bikes.  Don’t worry about your bikes price.

tailwind, February 3, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Train enough and most any bike will do.  Getting your butt, neck, hands, and legs in shape is key; be sure to stop a lot to enjoy the daily ride. The first year I rode, SAGBRAI, before these high tech machines of today, where most bikes were average at best, I rode a 42 lb 5 speed schwinn.   I would not hesitate to take it this year.  Still got her hanging in my garage…

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI