The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Questions on past-RAGBRAI jerseys

I have 3 jerseys from past rides (2012, 2014 and 2017). I plan to add a 4th one this year. Couple of questions on the old ones:

Do you wear your old RAGBRAI jerseys routinely as part of your cycling attire on group or training rides throughout the year, or do you reserve their wear primarily for RAGBRAI?

Also, for the above 3 rides, I completed all 7 days thus I bought a jersey as my personal memento of that accomplishment. In 2018 however, due to a conference I had to attend I was only able to ride one day, thus I did not buy a jersey for that year. I guess I treat buying the jersey as kind of my “reward”…so in my mind, I guess I didn’t earn the right to one in 2018. This is my own weird quirk, but I’m curious about other viewpoints on this matter.

This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Jboz.

15 Replies

Jeff Hansen, January 19, 2019 at 11:23 am

I and my wife wore our last years jersey after ragbrai and I plan on wearing my jerseys when every I want and will wear it on other rides. My wife wears last year jerseys on the first day of the next year ragbrai.

jelly0317, January 19, 2019 at 11:32 am

I’ve never worn a RAGBRAI Jersey on RAGBRAI (other than the Ambassador jersey), but I usually wear one on the Ride Out to the start, and when riding outside Iowa. It’s always fun to meet someone in, say, NYC who’s familiar with the ride.

Randall Murphy, January 19, 2019 at 11:56 am

I’ve ridden the last 14 rides and I have a number of the jerseys. I’ve completed every foot of of every ride except for two days of XL when the heat got the better of me. I absolutely wear my Ragbrai jerseys on both training and organized rides; not exclusively, but often. It’s a great conversation starter. I’ve connected with other past Ragbrai riders and re-lived a few memories and I’ve talked with folks who’ve heard about it and asked what its like. The way I see it, (or at least one way), I work hard to prepare for it and spend my hard-earned money to pay for it, why not enjoy it for more than just the one week? Just my $.02….

Sandaltan ., January 19, 2019 at 5:39 pm

You paid for the jersey, wear it whenever you want. Yes, it is a great conversation starter when worn riding out of state. This fall we were riding in Abita Springs, Louisiana with our RAGBRAI jerseys on and met a couple of bikers from Ames, Iowa. I wear other state jerseys when on RAGBRAI for the same reason, a conversation starter.

RIDE RIGHT

SFC JKL 2, January 23, 2019 at 12:04 am

When I lived in PA I wore Ragbrai jerseys on almost every public ride I did (except for a couple of military ones). A good conversation starter. I have never worn a Ragbrai jersey on Ragbrai. I have a handful of kits from various rides I wear for training. Like any other clothes, you have some for special occasions and some for working in. If you want to keep your Ragbrai jerseys special, try picking up a couple spares for cheap at the Registers garage sale tent in the start town or on Ebay.

George A, January 23, 2019 at 6:51 am

I have a 1999 jersey, a 2015 jersey, and 2014 kit. The 1999 has only been worn a couple times. In 2014 my son and I wore the 2014 kit one day and actually got asked to go into a building in Graettinger to have our picture taken by a Des Moise register photographer. I think that was the last time I wore a Ragbrai jersey on Ragbrai. I do wear them on training rides but that is about it. I prefer the fit of my other jerseys and the Ragbrai shorts and bibs are lower quality than those of my other kits.

Dueywife, January 23, 2019 at 11:35 am

You mean there’s other jerseys besides RAGBRAI jerseys?

I always wear mine anytime I’m riding. In the women’s cycling jersey world it is difficult to find the tank cut jersey with good pockets for a decent price like the Primal ones.

If you like them wear them. They’re not just for RAGBRAI.

Barry Schnoor, January 23, 2019 at 12:45 pm

If your quirk is that you don’t want to wear a jersey for a ride you didn’t complete, I get it.

My second Marathon (Shamrock, Va Beach, early ’90s), I walked most of the last 6 miles. *Technically* finished, but was disappointed with my performance. I didn’t accept the medal…and don’t even know where the t-shirt went.

KenH, January 23, 2019 at 3:25 pm

I only wear RAGBRAI jerseys at RAGBRAI, just don’t want to wear them out. I get a jersey for every RAGBRAI I have attended whether I did the whole thing or just one foot!

SFC JKL 2, January 24, 2019 at 11:39 pm

I guess I’m the opposite of Ken. I never wear the jersey for a ride on that ride. That’s like preaching to the choir to me. I want to see/find out about other rides, not look like the Bobbsey twins.

HillsAngels1, January 25, 2019 at 5:47 am

I agree with you James Why wear the Jersey on the ride everyone knows your on it LOL. I Wear mine on other rides to have a conversation starter

Randall Murphy, January 25, 2019 at 9:45 am

I sort of agree with not wearing this years jersey during this years ride as it makes it difficult to keep track of someone that you’re trying to ride with. See the Bobbsey twins comment. On the other hand, if I have a twenty year old jersey, (that I got from that ride and that still fits), I would be proud to wear it on Ragbrai.

igor, January 25, 2019 at 10:30 am

I’ve gotten a jersey every year I’ve done RAGBRAI. I’ll wear this years on the official jersey day. I usually will wear other non RAGBRAI jerseys during the rest of the week especially college spirit day. Go Gophers! I wear my RAGBRAI jerseys quite a bit when riding. Always a good conversation starter.

patrsnw, January 25, 2019 at 12:34 pm

There you got it. Wear it whenever you want, or whenever you can. Since you only bought when you rode the whole thing, wear it as a badge of honor.

I wear them, them that fit, anyway, sometimes when I ride. Some I’ve worn out but still, for some reason, have them. (Might need to purge my collection, maybe.)

Evan Guyer, January 27, 2019 at 11:38 am

On a side note, I neglected buying a 2xl hooded sweatshirt last year, if anyone wants to sell one, let me know! Thx

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014