Quiet Forum

The forum is always quiet after RAGBRAI is over for the year. Sad times but hey, today is 299 days until RAGBRAI 2019! Let’s get our chatter on!! Name one new item you plan to purchase for RAGBRAI 2019.

Me? A Coleman portable cot!

48 Replies

Dizzy, October 4, 2018 at 5:19 pm

jwsknk:

I picked up the Terralite Portable Camp Chair before the 2018 ride. It worked great. D

Timothy Winterlin, October 7, 2018 at 7:46 am

Ken, I looked at the 920 for about a year and a half and I just couldn’t wrap my head around the shifters on the bottom of the drop bars (I have really bad discipline and i shift like…. **all the time**)

ended up with the specialized AWOL and love it.

/congrats on the new bike

KenH, October 8, 2018 at 8:57 am

So, DougHarris, did you do the PPR in the rain? My riding buddy and I did. It was a nice ride other than the weather. The food at the rest stop was the best I’ve had at a century ride other than RAGBRAI. A slice of pumpkin pie at the end was delightful and I am sorry to all the doubters but it is all about the pie! My only complaint is that the schedule, which seems to be driven by the YMCA’s hours left us slower riders unable to do 100 miles. We managed to get in “only” 86 thanks to skipping the 15 mile loop. The route arrangement was very nice in that regards as a single rest stop that served three loops gave you a lot of flexiblity in choosing your total distance and it minimize the staff the organizers had to have on hand. Great job by the Starved Rock cycle club!

Timothy Winterlin, were you looking at the 520 perhaps that had bar end shifters for years? Or maybe an older version of the 920 had them too since they are touring bikes and the bike touring crowd tends to hate anything that is not a bar end shifter. The version of the 920 that I bought was first produced for the 2016 model year, I believe, and then, like now, it had brifters. Mine has a nice SRAM mountain double drivetrain and their double tap brifters. I’m loving it!

DougHarris, October 9, 2018 at 8:55 am

KenH: I was up at 5:30 checking the weather forecast which had deteriorated since even the night before…My schedule only allowed me to get the ride done (I was going to to do the 45 mile option) in the morning. I had a very close call with lightning years ago and have been stuck out on country roads without much shelter in recent years and had no desire (or time on Sunday) for delays…so regrettably I backed out. I wish I hadn’t and next year I will adjust my schedule (and hopefully my still healed knee) to do the century for sure! I also felt guilty for having pie at our family function later that day…

John Condon, October 16, 2018 at 7:34 pm

test

John Condon, October 18, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Too quiet.

Amanda, October 23, 2018 at 8:47 am

Thursday, RAGBRAI will reveal the logo for 2019!! Can’t wait! Maybe that will wake up the forum a bit. :)

Jeff Hansen, October 24, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Can someone please tell me how start a topic for the forum. Last was my first year loved it and plan on doing it this year again. Thanks in advance to the help

Gypsy Rose, October 28, 2018 at 5:50 pm

Hey Amanda!

It’s been a while since I’ve last checked in with the forum. Unfortunately, I sat out this year’s RAGBRAI due to work commitments (long story), but I’ll be back for next year’s ride!

As for new purchases, I’m considering going in the opposite direction and riding my 1984 Woodrup, the same bike that took me trans-am in 1985 and 1989. Toe clips, half-step plus granny triple with downtube mounted friction shifters, and a host of other old-school components that I really love.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Cheers,
~ Kevin

Michael Eastep, November 1, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Now that I’m retired and can travel distances and take the time to do classic rides, RAGBRAI has gone to the top of the list. That is … … until I found that Lance Armstrong has participated and is likely to do so again. Scratch one off the list. It really bites my butt to have to say it, but if he is there, I’m not. Looking for other rides, similar, where he is not welcome.

Ken, November 1, 2018 at 9:36 pm

[quote quote=1295991]Now that I’m retired and can travel distances and take the time to do classic rides, RAGBRAI has gone to the top of the list. That is … … until I found that Lance Armstrong has participated and is likely to do so again. Scratch one off the list. It really bites my butt to have to say it, but if he is there, I’m not. Looking for other rides, similar, where he is not welcome.[/quote]
Unfortunate that you would let someone else control your recreational fun.

Michael Eastep, November 1, 2018 at 9:42 pm

I make that choice, not him, and it is from a position of uncompromising idealism.

jelly0317, November 1, 2018 at 10:09 pm

Lighten up, Francis.

Amanda, November 2, 2018 at 10:40 am

Where did you see Lance was going this year? You were probably looking on old stories. Registration hasn’t begun so how do they know? Chances of seeing him if he goes, are almost as high as winning the lottery. It’s your choice not to go but you are missing an awesome time. This will be my 21st.

Larry Klaaren, November 2, 2018 at 10:51 am

I guarantee there will be a well known person at least one day on the ride whom you do not like or care for, no matter who you are. If not an athlete, an actor or political person.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI