PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Quiet Forum

The forum is always quiet after RAGBRAI is over for the year. Sad times but hey, today is 299 days until RAGBRAI 2019! Let’s get our chatter on!! Name one new item you plan to purchase for RAGBRAI 2019.

Me? A Coleman portable cot!

48 Replies

swiifg, November 2, 2018 at 11:13 am

Sometimes I can go all week without seeing the person who camped in the tent next to me. There are so many great things about RAGBRAI week, 1 rider you don’t agree with on whatever level shouldn’t ruin your ride, I would hope. But…if you decide not to join the ride, we’ll still have plenty of people out there having fun sharing another week in the beautiful state of Iowa.

reedkennethia, November 2, 2018 at 11:37 am

Dude, just ride and don’t worry about anyone else.

Michael Eastep, November 2, 2018 at 2:25 pm

The RAGBRAI website describes him as a “regular”. And I said he was “likely to do so”, not that he WAS or WILL.

Michael Eastep, November 2, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Larry K – of course there will be. Will be in any gathering this size. But not one who has single-handedly done anywhere near as much damage to this sport.

KenH, November 2, 2018 at 3:27 pm

As far as I know Lance has been with us every year for the last several years. I say as far as I know because I’ve heard about it and seen pictures of it but never have seen him there. Of course last year was the only time since I started in 2012 that I managed to see TJ in the flesh. It’s a big, big ride Lance will not ruin it for you unless he happens to run you over and the chances of that are…. Lance has not ruined anything except his own reputation, he certainly is not ruining RAGBRAI. The damage that Lance did to the sport was not done by him alone, he had plenty of willing help. His refusal to come clean and the manner in which he did what he did have made him a lightning rod for all the anger over this but it was way bigger than him and it has gone on for almost since the beginning of the sport. Cycling is recovering and gradually becoming the clean sport that it never was. Lance may have done cycling the sport more good than harm because his was the case that has finally spawned serious efforts to get clean and stay clean.

I’m an idealist too. I believe in redemption and I believe that it is available to everyone. Brothers and sisters I too need redemption! If RAGBRAI is the place where people like Lance can begin to redeem themselves then I welcome them with open arms. RAGBRAI is a great place to see what is possible when people do right by their fellow human beings. It is a great place for the Lances of this world. It is a place where everyone who claims to be an idealist must come!

swiifg, November 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm

I get the reference to damage to the “sport”. Let’s define that “sport” – it’s bike racing, right? I’m not sure about everybody’s attitude during RAGBRAI, but I, for one am all in on the fact that this event is a ride, not a race. How else would we older riders and everybody all the way down to the parent with a toddler riding in a tag-along be considering it anything else.

Michael Eastep, November 2, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Thank you for all the reasoned responses. I still will not participate in any event that not only allows him to participate, but celebrates the fact. Wishing all of you, agree with me or not, a joyous and successful ride. Am now removing myself from the forum and the RAGBRAI registration process. Pax vobiscum.

murphymp1, November 3, 2018 at 3:11 pm

First, the ride will survive without you. Second, Lance has done a lot of wrong but I still think he is free to go where he wants. Third, you won’t see him even if you do the ride, I have done Ragbrai nine times, Lance has been on four and I saw him briefly one time. Fourth, and the most important if you haven’t done Ragbrai you haven’t done the best ride in the country. Remember #1.

mootsman, November 3, 2018 at 6:34 pm

RAGBRAI people. Michael is just a Web-Troll, ignore him.

This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  mootsman.

Rodcrosgrove, November 4, 2018 at 7:00 am

Does anyone have the contact info for steve cole? If i received the email I deleted it. I think this year he got a good pic of us pulling out dog.

Rodcrosgrove, November 4, 2018 at 7:03 am

this year we camped next to the same people 3 nights. That was a first.

Rene Borrero, November 4, 2018 at 10:51 am

I am curious. what is the reason for the week long wrist band? watching youtube videos i can easily say anybody can ride the week long ride for free, you just tag along with the rest of the groups. anybody in town can buy beer, food or merchandise without a wrist band, so again, what are some of the perks you get if you get a wrist band or daily pass?

BillSpriggs, November 4, 2018 at 11:04 am

Rene, It costs real money to put RAGBRAI on every year. The portable toilets don’t just magically appear, the Register’s staff doesn’t work for nothing, the baggage trucks cost money etc. The ride is fully supported for those of us who pay for a one week wristband. If you break down you don’t get sag support. Don’t be a bandit, buy the wristband.

LawnchairMan, November 4, 2018 at 6:30 pm

Hi Rene,
You are correct that anyone can ride along: the roads are all open to the public. You would have to have your own support system, though, and find your own camp spot.
Coming solo from out of state I need the support. I use a charter to take my bike and myself across the state, and they won’t do that if I don’t have the official tags. As mentioned above, the Register provides SAG for official riders. I had to use that one year. Not only did they get me to a hospital, they took me from the hospital to my charter site. While I was at the hospital, the SAG truck had my bike. With matching bike and wrist bands I was able to get my bike back. I would have been in a real jam if I hadn’t had my tags.
Merchants are also supposed to charge an extra dollar if you don’t have the wristband, but I’ve only seen that enforced once.
Besides the Register supplying portapotties, and moving gear from town to town, they encourage the locals to fix the roads so we don’t have gaping potholes to cause accidents. They might not get them all, but I remember going off course, and realizing it due to all the cracks I had to avoid. Wristband fees also contribute to having law enforcement officers at critical junctions. So please contribute your share: get the tags! Thanks!
PS, getting my packet a few weeks before the ride always gets me excited. It might be a small thing, but it tells me the fun is about to begin.

This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  LawnchairMan.

George A, November 5, 2018 at 10:56 am

Michael E,

Lance was just doing what everyone else was doing, and had been doing for ages. My sense is he just PO’d someone off enough that they decided to blow him up. And they succeeded. As for damaging the sport, I can only speak for myself and his issues have done nothing to tarnish my view of the sport. In fact, the sport may be in a better place regarding doping because of him.

As for you not coming everyone makes there own choice and if that’s what you decide to do based on your own principles then that is what you are entitled to. You will miss a great event and I can safely say no one will know that you are not there, or why.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014