RAGBRAI 2019 Logo…Clues?

So the new logo was released along with a video. Was curious to what the route sleuths thought about it and the logos possible clues to the route?

The windmill and the whole wind, blowing into town them could be clue. I’m wondering if the route will start in upper northwest Iowa? Coteau des Prairies is up that way and its pretty windy.

Are the 3 stars found at the bottom part of the “I” that stretches underneath RAGBRAI a clue? If so, what is the significance of the 3 stars?

Let the guessing games begin…

50 Replies

KenH, October 26, 2018 at 10:23 pm

I noticed the XV too but it is probably too soon to start (or end?) in Onawa. Probably…. However the vertical bicycle chain between the X and the V could indicate XIV. Council Bluffs to Muscatine would fit the north-central-south pattern better.

Purple and yellow = UNI? But it is the wrong purple.

East to west could be breezy. The rooster crowing, rise and shine, the sun rising behind the barn? Well the sun does rise in the east, does the route rise in the east too? Could be the fulfillment of a dream for many although the route choices have been pretty conventional during my brief association with this fine event. Does TJ have a wild side? Is it wild enough to have us reverse the flow? Could be I suppose….

Rene Borrero, October 26, 2018 at 11:27 pm

I have a question. I am a guy that is going to this event next year, in January 26 at the IOWA bike expo when they announce the towns where the route is going to, do they say only the overnight towns, or will they say the complete route in between those overnight town. and also, how do I rent a tent, and have my bag sent to the next overnight camp? I am from South Saint Paul, MN and I am riding alone, so anybody needs a partner o forming a team, please let me know. thanks.

Cory Rood, October 27, 2018 at 7:13 am

I have a question. I am a guy that is going to this event next year, in January 26 at the IOWA bike expo when they announce the towns where the route is going to, do they say only the overnight towns, or will they say the complete route in between those overnight town. and also, how do I rent a tent, and have my bag sent to the next overnight camp? I am from South Saint Paul, MN and I am riding alone, so anybody needs a partner o forming a team, please let me know. thanks.

On Jan. 26th they will announce the overnight towns and distance and elevation gain only. In March-ish they will release the actual route. I don’t know of anyone to rent a tent from that wouldn’t require signing up for a charter service. You may want to look into that. Or you can purchase your own tent and use RAGBRAI’s baggage truck service.

I don’t know if I believe there are actually any clues in the LOGO. On one of the last couple JustGoBike podcast’s TJ stated that applications to be overnight towns would not be in until late September. I doubt that you could put the route together and design a logo in that time frame.

Amanda, October 27, 2018 at 7:30 am

There have been clues in past logos and in the video introducing the logo.

And Rene, since you are a newbie – we refer to newbies as virgins- you will want to research different charters to sigh up with. Some provide tents and will even put them up and take them down.

Check out the RAGBRAI site for more info.

This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Amanda.

Chris, October 27, 2018 at 9:47 am

Hey All:

I’ll start this by saying I’m on two double-espresso’s right now, so any semblance to any kind of truth is completely coincidental, and some of this has been said before:

XV on the barn doors: Kind of a gimmie
15 blades on the windmill: See Below
The military-style star on the tail vane: Des Moines.
The three military-style stars at the bottom of the logo: Edmund Bristol Gregory, Iowa’s first 3-star general – Storm Lake
The Rooster: General Jack Pershing – The famous rooster – Fontanelle
“..going to be a breeze”: Couteau des Praires – “Numerous wind farms have been built on the area to take advantage of the high average wind speeds”

About the Barn Doors and the Windmill: Both are 15’s (15 blades on the fan, XV on the door = 15). Add them together, you get 30…. RAGBRAI 30 started in Sioux Center. Which is part of the Couteau des Paries…

So, putting this pile into a somewhat coherent story:
Sioux Center to Storm Lake (75mi)
Storm Lake to Carroll (or somewhere around there) (60mi)
Carroll to Fontanelle (75mi)
Fontanelle to Des Moines (65mi)
Des Moines to Oskaloosa (61mi)
Oskaloosa to Fairfield (52mi)
Fairfield to Burlington (52mi)

~450 miles, though I’ll admit it’s a complete guess after Des Moines. There are a lot of options from there. I’d LOVE if we had a repeat of XV’s distance, though: 525 miles!! Bring us back to the old school, please 🙂

Most important: RAGBRAI don’t care, so I’m certain I’m wrong.

Amanda, October 27, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Great guesses Chris! I hope you are right!

LawnchairMan, October 27, 2018 at 7:38 pm

I have a couple of conflicting possible clues.

The riders in the background are going towards the rising Sun. (rooster wouldn’t be crowing for a setting Sun) Yet the windmill is pointing East too. That suggests the wind is blowing from the East. That was the way it was in 2007 for the first two days. Could we start from Rock Rapids again? Anybody remember other starts with winds coming from the East?

The outline of the roof suggests a southern start that peaks in Des Moines then goes back to the South.

T. Gap Woo, October 28, 2018 at 9:24 pm

With all due respect to Chris and Lawnchairman, your interpretations make absolutely perfect sense —- which is why TJ is having a belly-laugh!

I have recently acquired a new crystal ball and am taking it for a test drive now. Here goes:

The upper cross-brace of the two in the left barn door indicates the route will go in a generally northwest to southeast direction (no s***, Sherlock!). However, the cross-bracing on both doors are not to be read as Roman numerals, but as letters (a TJ red herring). “M” and “V” represent the start town of Missouri Valley.

The shape of barn roof suggests that the route will then turn toward the north before heading to the southeast. The “high point” is Des Moines, which is represented by the star in the vane.

The three stars at the bottom represent three famous Iowans and their respective overnight towns: John Wayne (Winterset); fictional Radar O’Reilly (Ottumwa); and Grant Wood (Eldon).

The rooster provides the ending town. Look at the comb, beak and wattle. They form a “K” for Keokuk.

That’s all. The crystal’s gone dark.

BTW, that belly-laugh is now a full guffaw, as TJ is having fun at our expense.

It’s only a few short weeks until registration is open. I can’t wait!

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

murphymp1, October 28, 2018 at 9:46 pm

How about the x on the left barn door indicating we are starting where the tenth ride began (Akron), only time it began in Akron. M on other side for ending in Muscatine. Big star for Des Moines. Windmill for Pella it would be a short day between Des Moines and Pella but possible. Three small stars for three county seats we will pass through???? All I know is that I had to miss last years ride but looking forward to doing my 10th Ragbrai no matter where we ride!

Amanda, October 29, 2018 at 8:47 am

TJ, if you are reading this, thanks for putting clues in the logo. It’s like trying to guess what is under the tree at Christmas! Of course we have to wait until the route announcement in January but it makes the waiting fun!

I had thought about hanging up my bike after RAGBRAI was over last July. 20 years is long enough I thought. Nope. I am looking forward to number 21! It’s an addiction….

This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Amanda.

mootsman, October 29, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Other then years like the 40th that are bigger deals when TJ specifically said there were clues, not all logos have included clues. There has been a rotation that is usually followed: north, central then south. We’re due for a southern route. When there are clues there have usually only been a few clues in the logo. Last year, the steam boat and Clear Lake are an example. A few more clues can be seen sometimes in the video announcing the logo. It sure is fun to guess though.

mootsman, October 29, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Have to agree wth Genefruit, the tail on the windmill is in the shape of Iowa with a star in the middle where Des Moines is. And Des Moines easily fits a southern route.

This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by mootsman.

Amanda, October 29, 2018 at 2:43 pm

But they said it will be a breeze. Southern route is not a breeze!

mootsman, October 29, 2018 at 3:57 pm

“A breeze” and the windmill might be taken together to mean something, what I don’t know. Or some area of Iowa that is know for lots of windmills on farms or wind power generators…. There has to be a museum for farm windmills somewhere in Iowa I’d guess.

Someone already mentioned the windmill in Pella but Elk Horn has one along with a windmill museum.

kicks9, October 30, 2018 at 11:40 am

Roosters Harley Davidson is in Sioux City. Would that be a Sioux City to Dubuque route again. I think I rode a similar start end route 8-10 years ago maybe. Potters hill year?

2010 had a rooster on the logo also.

This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by kicks9.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015