RAGBRAI 2019 Logo…Clues?

So the new logo was released along with a video. Was curious to what the route sleuths thought about it and the logos possible clues to the route?

The windmill and the whole wind, blowing into town them could be clue. I’m wondering if the route will start in upper northwest Iowa? Coteau des Prairies is up that way and its pretty windy.

Are the 3 stars found at the bottom part of the “I” that stretches underneath RAGBRAI a clue? If so, what is the significance of the 3 stars?

Let the guessing games begin…

50 Replies

KenH, November 1, 2018 at 8:03 am

Who knows if the logo has clues or not? Many years the “clues” seem to be force fits that people come up with after the fact. The 1973 tractor clue was given in a year when TJ said that the logo contained (a) clue(s). This year the logo has been described as “interesting” in the announcement text. I’m guessing it does contain real clues then but no guarantees….

I think the new crystal ball spins a fine tale and right or wrong I say it is a keeper! I like some of its predictions but of course RAGBRAI don’t care.

The Most Holy Pattern of RAGBRAI Route Selection dictates that this year shall be a southern route. Dare we go against its commands? Or more to the point does TJ dare? Tread carefully, there is a way that seems right to a man but the end thereof is death!

But what of the fact that the 2019 route will be “a breeze”? Does that not rule out a southern route? Dost thou not remember 2016, the year of death by a thousand hills? And what was the motto that year, pray tell? Wast it not something like “relax, you are due for a rest”? Wast the logo not a rider relaxing in a hammock? The logo and its false prophet the motto lie! They lie I tell you!! This coming year will not be a breeze, it will be a southern route and it will be going through corn bear territory. So be sure to bring your Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!

All right, time for me to see if I can find my meds….

Bob Braigar, November 1, 2018 at 8:44 am

Not sure at all about patterns; last ten years, 2008 Central, 09 south, 2010 North, 2011 south/central, 2012 north/central, 2013 south, 2014 North, 2015 NORTH/central, 2016 south, 2017 north, 2018 central/south. Tough to see a clear pattern IMO. Only pattern I can see is that by and large, consecutive years don’t cross over each other.Cheers! and good luck guessing.

T. Gap Woo, November 1, 2018 at 5:23 pm

I consulted my new crystal again. This time, I rotated it 180 degrees north-to-South from the first time I consulted it. In essence, the logo is now upside down.

In this new perspective, the sun and rooster are in the West. No, the laws of nature haven’t been repealed, so the route still goes west to east.

The slope of the barn roof now indicates that the route starts in the northwest, dips to the south, and then rises to the northeast. The barn doors now read “W” (left) and “M” (right). Therefore, the start town is Westfield and the end town is Marquette, with a southerly dip to Des Moines.

The original predictions — Des Moines, Winterset, Ottumwa and Eldon — still hold true, for the reasons previously stated.

That’s all. The crystal’s gone dark.

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

mrocket49, November 2, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Since there is a Rooster in the logo and Kellogg’s decided to put the rooster back onto their corn flakes box and Kellogg’s being located in Battle Creek, Michigan. I believe this years route will be in Michigan!
rooster

reedkennethia, November 5, 2018 at 9:20 am

I kind of think that the star on the state of Iowa could be a false clue to throw people off. I know how T.J. is with his clues. This one is way too obvious.

Brian Sills, November 5, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Ok so here are my thoughts. 1st thing that jump out to me was the old windmill and I remember when I was a kid visiting this old Danish wind mill in Elk Horn IA. So I google it and just happens that few years back they moved this historic “Tiny Church Morning STAR Chapel” building next to the old windmill. So old Danish windmill and Tiny Church with STAR in the name, this could be one of the meet towns….

Sandaltan ., November 6, 2018 at 10:20 pm

Mrocket49: More likely the rooster is a clue that the route will go through Battle Creek, Iowa. Or maybe the rooster is a nod to Rooster Cogburn in the movie “True Grit” and we will ride through Coggon, Iowa which sounds like Cogburn after several 16 oz cans of Bush Light which is in endless supply on RAGBRAI.

RIDE RIGHT

mrocket49, November 7, 2018 at 6:52 am

That’s even better! 🙂

T. Gap Woo, November 7, 2018 at 8:22 am

Sandaltan,

Rooster Cogburn = John Wayne = Winterset. Thanks for confirming what my crystal has predicted!

Only 8 days until registration opens. See you along the I-O-Way next year.

cyduke, November 7, 2018 at 11:44 am

Too early to guess?
Hawarden, Cherokee, Rockwell City, Ogden, Johnston, Oskaloosa, Wapello, Keokuk. Approx 460 miles.

reedkennethia, November 7, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Nope, not at all, cyduke.
Missouri Valley, Atlantic, Winterset, Ankeny, Grinnell, Vinton, Monticello, and Bellevue.

cyduke, November 7, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Hahaha Reedkennethia, Your clairvoyance is as good as mine I see!

jlades, November 7, 2018 at 9:06 pm

I recently found out that Eagle Grove and Clarion both applied to be towns this year. Seems kinda odd to me that tow towns that close together would both apply. Did someone tip them off or do they know something no one else does. Been a long time since it’s been through that area. One could consider last year as a central or southern route. So maybe back north a little next year.

swiifg, November 8, 2018 at 12:13 pm

The logo tends to angle from lower left toward the upper right. Maybe this year we get a southwest to northeast route.

KenH, November 9, 2018 at 8:14 am

Does TJ follow a pattern in picking routes? The answer will depend on how strictly you define “north”, “south”, and “central”. By my own entirely reasonable and unassailable definitions I have him going:

south
central
north
central
north
central
south
north
central
central
south
north
central
south
north
central

From this pattern I feel that we can be certain that the route will be a southern one!

Unless of course it is a northern one!!

Or central….

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015