RAGBRAI 2019 overnight RV parking info for each town?

Will RAGBRAI send out any information about where RV parking will be in each town? Im trying to build a plan for the week and curious if any information is sent out prior to the ride.

10 Replies

David, June 7, 2019 at 4:11 pm

They won’t send out detailed information like that. You will need to check the websites for each overnight town. Most will have maps, some maps will be great and others… less great

Daniel Jackson, June 7, 2019 at 6:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up David! I will continue planning stops out on my own then! Thanks!

Brian Wallenburg, June 7, 2019 at 6:49 pm

Frequent campground locations will be high schools, colleges and fairgrounds. Typically you’ll be able to pick up support route maps including camping information on Saturday night prior to the ride. Don’t put to much work into it, sometimes the campground you were planning to use is full by the time you get there.

David, June 7, 2019 at 9:03 pm

Keep in mind that RVs are often in separate areas, not the same general campgrounds. Especially if you want to run a generator at all. So I would suggest it is best to know your options beforehand and then be flexible when the time comes to adapt to the situation on the ground.

With an RV it is best to do your research beforehand. Especially know where the support route and rider routes are in the end town. You especially want to avoid crossing the rider route. It is dangerous and can be practically impossible.

Note that dumping in the overnight towns can involve a lot of waiting. It usually would be faster to find alternatives along (or slightly off) the support route that would have a minimal wait.

Other options are to submit housing requests letting them know your group details and RV. You might get connected with people to set up at a house or church. Often you could get better shade in a driveway or neighborhood street instead of a field.

Daniel Jackson, June 7, 2019 at 9:34 pm

Thank you for the insight. Ive been looking for the support / driving route but havent had any luck yet. I was also wondering if we could apply for overnight housing and then just park in a driveway or something with access to AC power for the night. I plan on keeping the restroom use minimal in the RV to avoid having to use dump stations along the way, I figured they would be backed up. Ive only been able to book 1 overnight stay at a RV park and that was in Council Bluffs. Trying to secure something midway and that should be enough to get us to KEOKUK! Thanks again for the info!

David, June 7, 2019 at 9:57 pm

You can apply to the towns for housing. It is $3 per town to apply, find their websites here https://ragbrai.com/2019-host-towns/
The deadline for those applications is soon so if you are interested in that fill out the forms soon.

They will try to match you up with volunteer hosts with space for an RV. Nothing is guaranteed but hopefully, you will get matched up.

Support vehicle routes aren’t out yet. They are usually released about 1 week into July.

Daniel Jackson, June 7, 2019 at 10:01 pm

Thank you! I just applied for Indianola and Burlington. I will probably apply for every town just to be safe!

David, June 7, 2019 at 10:06 pm

Last note, while the towns will vary, most of the maps and logistic details won’t be available for at least a month.

David Nelson, June 9, 2019 at 6:51 am

Just a note about the $3 fee charged by overnight towns….I have paid the fee in the past and received nothing in return…not even an e-mail stating they received the request. Some overnight towns are well organized others not. We are driving an RV and usually have the best luck at high school parking lots. The athletic associations open up the building for showers, sometimes serving food and they are generally on a shuttle route stop,

Coco Jenkins, June 9, 2019 at 9:24 pm

Sixteen years driving support for two different teams. I am also a planner. Try not to overthink. You will be amazed at the hospitality and generosity that you will encounter. Embrace the adventure if you can.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015