RAGBRAI beer

Is it a thing? My impression is that beer was generally being provided by a local vendor, local vendor in combination with a regional distributor, or something like that. I am sure that they all provide their tribute to the RAGBRAI organization, but the implication I see in some discussions is that RAGBRAI is providing the beer and revenue from it. I am interested in hearing from people who have direct knowledge.

24 Replies

Ken Reed, December 5, 2019 at 10:35 am

I’m not sure of the details of the financial relationship but Big Grove Brewing out of Iowa City/Solon is a RAGBRAI sponsor. They made “Tailwind” last year which had last year’s logo on every can. Does that answer your question?

Sandaltan ., December 5, 2019 at 1:03 pm

I have never believed that RAGBRAI benefited from beverage sales in the past. Never. The beer gardens are 100 % local. Last year’s sale of RAGBRAI branded Tailwind beer was a first for the ride and with the RAGBRAI logo on the can I am sure that the brewer paid for the use of the trademark. You don’t use someone’s trademark without remuneration. Perhaps the RAGBRAI crew will answer this question if you email them.

RIDE RIGHT

Bill Tourdot, December 5, 2019 at 2:20 pm

I am looking for a RAGBRAI can from last year 2019. I lost the one I had and would like the memory. Any idea where I can get one? I live in WI and drove to Iowa stores but they were all out.

Niles, December 5, 2019 at 2:33 pm

I still have one unopened 6-pack. I bought a 30-can case and brought them back home.

Sandaltan ., December 5, 2019 at 2:33 pm

I will look in my HyVee store for that Tailwind beer.

RIDE RIGHT

Ken Reed, December 5, 2019 at 3:18 pm

I saw it a couple weeks ago at the Hy-Vee in Urbandale.

Sandaltan ., December 5, 2019 at 8:46 pm

No Tailwind at the Jordan Creek Pkw HyVee. Plenty of other Big Grove.

RIDE RIGHT

> Professor, December 6, 2019 at 3:06 pm

I’d like see some local microbrew do A RAGBRAI commemorative brew. Of course it would have to be sanctioned by RAGBRAI and knowing the Register they’d say no because they might be libel if someone fell off their bike after having one (or 2) too many. It would be a great collectable!

klkoopman, December 6, 2019 at 3:42 pm

In 2019 a local microbrewery (Big Grove) “did” create a commemorative brew (called Tailwind) for the ride. The RAGBRAI logo was featured prominently on the can. They must have reached a sponsorship deal. Evidently, the Des Moines Register did not fear liability issues.

Personally, I did not like the taste very much but I did buy a 6-pack at Hy-Vee to take home to Michigan. It’s still in the frig.

Bill Tourdot, December 6, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Would you sell me a can?

klkoopman, December 6, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Full or empty? It makes a difference in postage!

Jose Medina, December 6, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Send him the beer. I will be at the Route Announcement Party and will cover all costs. Ask for Jose and Donna , we are well known since we met on Ragbrai. We always attend the Route Announcement Party. This should be a Historic Party that should be attended by everyone. This is a New beginning for Ragbrai. Please be there and show your support! We need this to be the best Party ever. I am calling on all my fellow brothers and sister riders to attend. We are family. Ragbrai has been saved by people that really care. Thank them at the Party, specially Anne Lawrie and all the Charters that stepped up. Thank you !! 30 year veteran .

klkoopman, December 7, 2019 at 10:18 am

Bill Tourdot: I will send you a couple of empty Tailwind cans, I assume the Post Office may frown upon full ones. In the spirit of “Iowa Nice” and in penance for my crazed, raving commentaries in the great RAGBRAI-IR “debates” in November, there is no cost. Please send me your address through the website’s PM capabilities.

It would be funny if 50 people sent you cans and all presented Jose Medina invoices at the Route Announcement Party.

Now, please convince those Wisconsin Badgers to humiliate those evil, rat-bastard OSU Buckeyes and I’ll be in a much better mood to do this!

Larry Klaaren, December 7, 2019 at 10:23 am

Now, please convince those Wisconsin Badgers to humiliate those evil, rat-bastard OSU Buckeyes and I’ll be in a much better mood to do this!

Since we do not like all teams that wear red, starting with Nebraska and Alabama, (except for Indiana) we revert to rule two. We pull for the team closer to Ames. Go Badgers. Slightly off-topic, but it had to be said.

This reply was modified 8 months ago by Larry Klaaren.

Jose Medina, December 7, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Too funny ! I love you guys. Yes , I will be at the Route Announcement Party . I will be the guy holding up a sign wanting to replenish my funds for postage.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015