RAGBRAI beer

Is it a thing? My impression is that beer was generally being provided by a local vendor, local vendor in combination with a regional distributor, or something like that. I am sure that they all provide their tribute to the RAGBRAI organization, but the implication I see in some discussions is that RAGBRAI is providing the beer and revenue from it. I am interested in hearing from people who have direct knowledge.

24 Replies

Jeff Terrones, December 8, 2019 at 7:52 am

Anyone else find it amusing, the first year RAGBRAI has a commemorative beer…it’s called Tailwind & there was scarcely a tailwind felt all week! 😆

Niles, December 8, 2019 at 9:23 am

Tailwind is not human powered. It increases speed without human effort. It will cause massive safety hazard although it hasn’t yet. This it should be and was banned.

“Bicycle Bill”, December 8, 2019 at 10:50 am

RAGBRAI may not have ‘provided’ the beer, but as far back as the 1990s RAGBRAI did have agreements with Miller Lite, Chevrolet trucks, Kum ‘n Go, and several other corporate partners (or “Friends of RAGBRAI”, as I believe they were called during that time).  I’m sure a fair amount of money, compensation in kind (like Chevy providing the vehicles for the Register during the week, and the brewery furnishing a logo-emblazoned tractor-trailer mobile stage for the overnight towns’ beer tent entertainment), or both changed hands; these companies certainly weren’t doing this just to get their name on the promotional literature of the time.

Bill Tourdot, December 8, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Sorry I couldn’t get the badgers to do their part. If you send me an empty can, 24427 Atlas ave. Warrens WI, 54666. I will be happy to send you the money.

klkoopman, December 28, 2019 at 8:22 am

Bill: Your two Tailwind cans are in the mail to sunny Wisconsin. We drank them (and others) over Christmas and I am altering my previous review: Tailwind is a great tasting beer. We will pop open the remaining two during the route announcement party. Do NOT send postage money, my wife and I are happy to do it.

Jose Medina, December 28, 2019 at 10:21 am

Jose Medina says THANK YOU ! Whew !!

Bill Tourdot, December 31, 2019 at 9:33 pm

klkoopman,

I just got home from a little out of town trip and had a great surprise. Two beer cans!!! Best Christmas present I had. Partially because it was really nice of you. Also to anyone considering riding RAGBRAI, this is how people treat each other at RAGBRAI, it is awesome. Thank you,

Bill

Jose Medina, December 31, 2019 at 10:11 pm

On Ragbrai we treat each other as a brother or sister. We are family. I have done Ragbrai 30 times and no body is a stranger from year to year.I met my wife on Ragbrai and she was not even a rider. We have been together 21 years. This is when the biking world gets together in Iowa without borders, religion, race, politics etc. Best time in your life.

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015