Join Us in July - Register Today!

Ragbrai boycott

What happened to the discussion about boycotting Iowa due to Steve King’s remarks? Was that whole thread deleted? I know there was a lot of name calling, but the initial statement / question was completely civil.

I was really looking forward to another great ride across Iowa this year, but the more I thought about it I realized that if I participated I would condone congressman King’s bigoted attitudes. Iowans say that King is only one person, but if other Iowans didn’t share his views, then he wouldn’t have been elected. I hope that a loss of revenue in King’s district will inspire his defeat in the next election.

I look forward to riding Ragbrai in the future, either on a route not in King’s district, or when he is replaced.

90 Replies

Jboz, April 10, 2017 at 3:30 pm

I look forward to the day when civility returns to our society, and Rhubarbicans and Applecrats can accept their differences peacefully and bury the hatchet (or fork).

T. Gap Woo, April 10, 2017 at 8:58 pm

To paraphrase the late, great Will Rogers, “I never met a pie I didn’t like.” To paraphrase George Orwell’s Animal Farm, “All pies are created equal, but some are more equal than others.” To quote the Sage of Rabbit Hash, “BTW, Ragbrai don’t care.”

Bottom line: To each his own! Now, can we get back to business and end the squabbling? 8-)

Nico ZZZ, April 11, 2017 at 7:17 am

As a blackberrian, I am tired of Apple and Rhubarb getting all the press.

All of it is Fake News!

Ride On!

Sandaltan ., April 11, 2017 at 3:25 pm

It would require a great deal of strategy to find a good piece of chess pie on RAGBRAI.

RIDE RIGHT

davekilloran, April 11, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Boycott Ragbrai???? As we say in Philly, for who, for what? I am a registered Republican and a conservative and last year was my first ride. While we were in the middle of a presidential election ( and the DNC was in my hometown that week); of all the fantastic people I met that week and had many conversations with , not one of them was political. Boycott?, stop taking yourself so seriously and just ride and enjoy what Ragbrai is. I’ll be there again this year, and i hope you are happy in your safe space. BTW, Ragbrai don’t care.

ridingwest, April 12, 2017 at 12:37 pm

We’ll be joining the ride after it leaves Steve King’s district. The decision to not go to Orange City was made at the route release. The last time we passed through Orange City the riders were met at the intersection by the big windmill by a local politician that was greeting riders by saying “welcome to Orange City, we don’t want you here, we don’t like you here, but we’ll take your money”. Now this didn’t happen the two previous times we passed thru but it was enough to turn us off of Orange City. I think Orange City is a cool little town that reminded me of the time I spent in Holland while in the service.
As far as Spencer goes, they give tickets for open containers. Which we find very un-ragbrai like. Always had a great time there, despite the storms and tornadoes. Just not this year. Someone had to vote King in and I’m not going to ride where I’m not welcome.

Noah Clark, April 12, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Ride or don’t ride. Start early or start late. Make love to a cardboard cutout of Steve King. Or not. At the end of the day you’ve either got a tight anus or not. I prefer to let the farts out….

…and eat lots of pie.

stuckinmizzou, April 12, 2017 at 4:21 pm

I don’t know if you’ve actually looked at a congressional map of Iowa, but if you are waiting to join the ride after it leaves his district, then I guess you’re only planning on riding Friday & Saturday (and maybe the last 15 or so miles on Thursday). All of the overnight and pass-through towns up to Cresco are in that district. I respect your choice and conviction, but that would be unfortunate.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/Resources/Redist/2011/2011-03-31/CongressStatewide8x11_color.pdf

Marla Shifflett, April 13, 2017 at 7:54 pm

I respect your right to boycott RAGBRAI, but I’m sure glad the suffragettes didn’t decide to stay home. Thankful Martin Luther King, Jr. went some places where the constituents didn’t agree with his politics and proposed policies, too. But, having said that, I have never associated RAGBRAI with the elected representatives of the region or politics. I’ve never even associated RAGBRAI with the politics of the Des Moines Register. lol RAGBRAI is about the people, both riders and hosts. They are mostly kind, considerate, helpful, fun-loving, caring, friendly folks. To try to “lump” Iowans into a mold is like herding cats. Some are Steve King supporters, some are not, and some don’t care either way. I’m sure you’ve seen the RAYGUN (an Iowa company) shirt, “Dear America, Sorry about Steve King. Sincerely, Iowa.” We might not be homogeneous in most areas, but we do have a sense of humor. I hail from glorious southern Iowa, where a lot of you complained about the hills last year. Steve King is not our representative, but I think if the Register would have sent RAGBRAI back to the hill country there would have been a revolt. I’m all for another southern Iowa RAGBRAI! Closer to home! Oh, and after reading this thread, I’m going to have to go make a rhubarb pie!

BillSpriggs, April 13, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Marla, Save a piece of rhubarb for me. Enjoyed southern Iowa last year. I have family in Creston so I had one night in a bed.

Joe Chavis, April 14, 2017 at 4:47 am

Hey. If I stop doing things I enjoy, because an idiot or bigot is associated with the area I travel to….for the enjoyment….well, then I suppose I can just go from the kitchen to the bathroom..

Carl Anderson, April 14, 2017 at 5:32 am

You know,I am in his district and he probably has said things he regrets, but I am fairly certain that you have too. I take them with a grain of salt.They are a dime a dozen.If I were you,I would just join the party and say the heck with it, or stay home, your boycott will not change anything . The people of the area elected him. Have a good time with Ragbrai, but do it with the attitune of the Golden Rule.Treat people with the same respect as you would want to be treated. By the way I enjoyed the southern route last year and can’t wait till we get another time down thete

stuckinmizzou, April 14, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Well said, “mshifflett”. Our forums need a “like” button. :)

Ken Reed, April 14, 2017 at 3:49 pm

How about we all ride our bikes and not talk politics. Deal?

Gypsy Rose, April 14, 2017 at 4:51 pm

With the snow having recently receded from the garden, I was out looking for new life today. Right on schedule, the rhubarb leaves are pushing through and will soon unfold! Cherry buds are fattening. Apple blossoms in a month. PIE SOON!

Cheers,
~ Kevin

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters