RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Ragbrai boycott

What happened to the discussion about boycotting Iowa due to Steve King’s remarks? Was that whole thread deleted? I know there was a lot of name calling, but the initial statement / question was completely civil.

I was really looking forward to another great ride across Iowa this year, but the more I thought about it I realized that if I participated I would condone congressman King’s bigoted attitudes. Iowans say that King is only one person, but if other Iowans didn’t share his views, then he wouldn’t have been elected. I hope that a loss of revenue in King’s district will inspire his defeat in the next election.

I look forward to riding Ragbrai in the future, either on a route not in King’s district, or when he is replaced.

90 Replies

soianewlee, April 22, 2017 at 8:32 am

ratscallion: Yes I will completely disagree with this statement. “King will certainly reap all due repercussions from the hate he has sown. Besides, we get to leave after we visit Iowa… his voters are stuck with him”

Do you have any examples of his hate? He won the last election over Kim Weaver 61% to 38%. Are you insinuating his voters are clueless and just blindly vote without knowing any of the issues?

“Bicycle Bill”, April 22, 2017 at 5:43 pm

@soianewlee — I think that’s true of a large number of voters in either party.  They pick a single issue — immigration reform, let’s say, or abortion or legalization of marijuana or gun laws — and as long as a candidate’s position is the same as the voter’s opinion, they vote for him/her regardless of how the politician stands on the other issues of the day.

-“BB”-

mootsman, April 23, 2017 at 8:27 am

LCM,

What can be done can be undone. You can always get a wristband on the forum or, maybe as part of a protest, go pirate with your team. Its never too late. Maybe a custom jersey saying “Vote Out King”? That would do more then just not showing up. Compared to the jersey, non participation isn’t much of a stand.

Sandaltan ., April 23, 2017 at 11:18 am

The jersey suggested by Mr Mootsman could be worn for the next couple of RAGBRAIs because we are sure to begin or at least pass through Representative King’s district.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, April 23, 2017 at 2:12 pm

ST, How is the boycott going?

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Jboz, April 23, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Sure feels like our society has gotten boycott-happy. Some I guess are valid, but lately most of these boycotts are coming across as little more than tantrum-throwing by an increasingly polarized and thin-skinned populace. And with each new one, they are quickly losing their impact and are generating only a big collective eye-roll by most common-sense oriented folks. I actually do understand the idea of boycotting a business because said business took a political stand. I understand this because I believe businesses for the most part should not delve into partisan political issues. Why tick off half of your customer base when the main purpose of a business is to make money and maximize returns to it’s investors?

But this idea of boycotting an entire political jurisdiction (congressional district, county, or state) seems like nonsense to me, and in fact could be very harmful to the fabric of our society. When we start saying “I don’t want to associate with people from (fill in the blank) because a narrow majority of their voters think differently than I do”, we balkanize ourselves. I remember back in the 1960’s, my grandfather and his neighbor would sit on the front porch and argue about politics, and then they would play cards, smoke cigars and laugh until way past my bedtime. We need to get back to that point where we say “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it!” But we seem to be moving rapidly away from that mindset, and we are heading toward being a very divided society. Boycotts like the one the OP seems to be promoting are making it worse. If we don’t try to come together soon, this will not end well.

Sandaltan ., April 23, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Mich, my boycott went well, I have boycotted snow and ice for another season and was successful. As a biker, triker or driver we hope to see you in July. Give Beverly our regards.

RIDE RIGHT

Ken Askew, May 1, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Hey, I’m from Minnesota. We’ve had Jessie Ventura, Michelle Bachman, Al Franken and everything in between. But don’t hold it against all of us no matter how stupid you think the choice may have been.

Nico ZZZ, May 2, 2017 at 7:49 am

Florida, Land of the Hanging Chad and oodles of morons posing as politicians. The author Carl Hiaasen captures the madness and idiocy of FL and politics better than anyone.
I’m here for the weather!
I’ll be in Iowa for the Ride!
Ride On!

Sandaltan ., May 2, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Gringonick, the Little Stoker and I love Carl Hiaasen’s books, I think most of his characters are real people!. He makes me laugh out loud sometimes.

RIDE RIGHT

Jason Stoller, May 12, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Isn’t it time to Boycott the Boycott’s?

Jason

sisyphus321, May 17, 2017 at 1:20 pm

I’d think that a more effective form of protest would be to show up and (gently) engage the locals on their opinions.

Sunflower, May 19, 2017 at 10:10 am

I would like to be a fly on the wall for that attempt.

KenH, May 19, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Boycotters won’t engage the the targets of their boycott in a conversation for two reasons:

A) If they do they discover that many of the people their boycott is affecting are just exactly like them and now the boycott is uncomfortably like shooting themselves in their own feet.

B) If they do they discover that the other side is composed of reasonable people with many of the same fears and concerns and many values held in common and now the boycott doesn’t seem quite so noble an endeavor.

C) Now they have to conclude that the real solution to their issue to is engage the other side in the long and difficult process of reaching compromises that honor the legitimate needs of all sides.

As I say boycotters won’t engage the the targets of their boycott in a conversation for three reasons….

mootsman, May 19, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Please stop feeding this thread and let it die.

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI