RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

RAGBRAI "Bucket List" for Newbie

So…this is my first RAGBRAI and I am trying to create a “Bucket List” of all the things “I HAVE TO DO” on RAGBRAI. You know, things like: go to the bathroom in a cornfield, meet legends like Michrider and Papa T, eat a pork chop…

WHAT ELSE??? Keeping it “clean”, what else do we “HAVE” to do?

64 Replies

Sandaltan ., April 6, 2012 at 11:37 am

Eat two church dinners during the week, a beef & noodle and a spaghetti & meat sauce. Pie for desert of course, rhubarb is mandatory.

RIDE RIGHT

cyclingdogz, April 6, 2012 at 11:59 am

Drink Beer! Much of it!

giantron, April 6, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Stop at Peanut Butter Jams, Farm Boys and Mama Raffaels for various food stops.

petra, April 6, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Eat fresh corn. I tried do eat corn and pie daily. Also, Beekman’s homemade ice cream each day.

jwsknk, April 6, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Leave one morning by , another after 9. See both sides of the ride and figure out your place in it. Catch the Singing Nuns, they usually show up one day during the week. Stop by and support the local firefighters/first responders beverage gardens or meals during the day. Visit a VFW or America! Legion too

Michael Knapp, April 6, 2012 at 4:45 pm

1. Beekman’s homemade ice cream
2. Pork Chop from Mr. Pork Chop
3. Have Chris Cakes flip you your pancakes, see how far out he can flip and you can catch.
4. Try the PIZZA stand for lunch
5. Stop for beer gardens (daily, if not more frequently)
6. Visit the Corn Bears at least once during the ride (don’t forget to pack some TP)
7. Did I say “Sweet Corn!”
8. And pie, don’t forget the pie.
9. Bring a digital camera – try and get a photo with each team you meet along the ride
10. Dip your wheels in the Mississippi!

Michrider !!!, April 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Iowa Hawkeyegal:
So…this is my first RAGBRAI and I am trying to create a “Bucket List” of all the things “I HAVE TO DO” on RAGBRAI.You know, things like: go to the bathroom in a cornfield, meet legends like Michrider and Papa T, eat a pork chop…

WHAT ELSE???Keeping it “clean”, what else do we “HAVE” to do?

Iowa HawkeyeGal, look me up and we’ll enjoy a few beverages on an Iowa Kurb!!!!

Pirate Brewer, April 6, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Finish the ride and lose your virginity.
(RAGBRAI virginity).

Anonymous, April 6, 2012 at 7:20 pm

While you are wrapped up in everything exciing and new .. I know this may be hard to do for you and your newness but. At least once a day as you roll into a small town and see some older residents, on lawn chairs wathcing and wishing … stop by and say, “Hello”.

You know that old trees just grow stronger, and wild rivers flow faster everyday, old people just grow lonely, looking for someone to say, “Hello in there alone”.

(John Prine)

You can make days that will live forever. For me it is the best part of RAGBRAI, just once a day, a few minutes, a bit of chit and chat, a worn and worked life face that smiles at me. After all, these are the ones that laid the foundation for the roads (and kurbs, copy that Michrider) that you will roll over.

verylastrider, April 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Don’t pass up a beer slide! Take the time to watch or better take your turn!

straycat, April 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Have a Tender Tom’s turkey breast for lunch.

On the really hot days, have a ice cold smoothie.

Otherwise, I second Big Bird’s list and Sandaltan’s ideas, although I try to eat in the churches every afternoon.

Csprint, April 7, 2012 at 12:39 am

Iowa Hawkeyegal: So…this is my first RAGBRAI and I am trying to create a “Bucket List” of all the things “I HAVE TO DO” on RAGBRAI.

Surprised no one mentioned dipping your rear tire in the Missouri river, either in surrogate water or the actual river!

Fix a flat tire, either yours or a companion’s.

thangamalang:While you are wrapped up in everything exciing and new .. I know this may be hard to do for you and your newness but. At least once a day as you roll into a small town and see some older residents, on lawn chairs wathcing and wishing … stop by and say, “Hello”.

I second that thangamalang, it’s good to wave or stop and chat for a bit with the senior folks; I think I’ve had the most fun conversations with the local residents.

Czech the pronunciation of the local town.

SWEET corn, sweet corn, sweet corn!

Chris Cakes pancakes are always best in a machine shed!

Sit down next to a stranger at a convenience store and compare the state of your butts!

See early morning fog rolling away off into the vales.

Have a little kid hose you down from the roadside on a hot day!

At least consider a Tour de Farms tee shirt!

Have a bloody mary in the morning.

Get a cool cycling thingamabob from one of the traveling bike shops, somehow it’s just more special like that.

If struggling up a hill, remember this is nothing, it’s just a slightly different shade of fun, hills always end!

Cheers!
Corey

John L, April 7, 2012 at 2:57 am

ENJOY! Last year was my first. There was no way for me to accomplish all of the tasks above in the first year. So pick a FEW try them then COME back again! I will be there for XL so I will accomplish a few more of the above. I did meet Mich so I got that going for me. I did make all 7 days. Take time to enjoy each day however you choose to!!

Paul, April 7, 2012 at 5:36 am

Mostly just don’t pass up any opportunity to make nice. Also, file away at which point you decide to come back the next year. Chances are it will be sometime on the first day.

See you on the ride.

Michrider !!!, April 7, 2012 at 5:57 am

Michrider tip #863, use the RAGBRAI name tag on your bike. Put your name or Forum name on it in large letters.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI