RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

RAGBRAI "Bucket List" for Newbie

So…this is my first RAGBRAI and I am trying to create a “Bucket List” of all the things “I HAVE TO DO” on RAGBRAI. You know, things like: go to the bathroom in a cornfield, meet legends like Michrider and Papa T, eat a pork chop…

WHAT ELSE??? Keeping it “clean”, what else do we “HAVE” to do?

64 Replies

Chris McKenna, April 11, 2012 at 6:59 am

My bucket list is pretty simple. I try to never buy from anyone other than local non-profits. This means churches, fraternal groups, school groups, etc. Chris Cakes, Pastafarians, and whoever else can do without my bucks. I like the idea of supporting the people that really make RAGBRAI possible, the locals who allow us into their towns and into their lives.

Michrider !!!, April 11, 2012 at 8:00 am

kombiguy:
My bucket list is pretty simple. I try to never buy from anyone other than local non-profits. This means churches, fraternal groups, school groups, etc. Chris Cakes, Pastafarians, and whoever else can do without my bucks. I like the idea of supporting the people that really make RAGBRAI possible, the locals who allow us into their towns and into their lives.

I just hope the local groups can cook pancakes for 15,000 people!!!!

Iowa Hawkeyegal, April 11, 2012 at 8:16 pm

sunny7:
RAGBRAI is about the people.The food is surely an important part of the experience, but the people are the heart of the ride.Meet as many as you can.
-Stop to rest at a driveway where there are a bunch of people in lawn chairs that AREN’T selling anything.Start a conversation.
-Go into the museum or historic house you ride by and chat with the woman who’s running it.She opened up that day just for riders, you’ll be surprised how many others stop.
-Start up conversations with fellow riders. Try to meet riders from 5 different states each day.Our group once had a guy join us whose only ambition was to get to the overnight town as fast as he could, and then tell us ceaselessly how fast he was, what his cadence was, etc. He’s lucky we let him live.We finally told him we wouldn’t let him in camp the next day unless he could tell us that he’d met people from 10 different states that day and their names.The next day he arrived later than normal (for him) and was all excited about how cool it was meeting people.
-Stop to swim in a pond, river or swimming pool along the route. Talk to the lifeguards. They’ll be talking about the day RAGBRAI came through for years.
-Do as many church suppers as you can. The people there are very nervous about having leftovers, even though you know they’ll sell out.
-When you get to the end town, there will be people lining the road cheering.Wave to them and thank them.That welcome on my first RAGBRAI many moons ago, still makes me smile.

Don’t worry too much about the bucket list. Let RAGBRAI happen for you. You’ll have a great time!

This sounds like great advice. We’re certainly not planning to rush through RAGBRAI – but as one person reminded me, I only have one week to complete this ride so we’ll try to keep a decent pace :) I can’t wait! Super excited!!!

mikesglobebike, April 11, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I was told 10 mph average will do fine eany thing faster is great.

GetAClue Blue, April 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Be kind to rider over 50 years old.

Iceman, April 12, 2012 at 8:31 am

Michrider: I just hope the local groups can cook pancakes for 15,000 people!!!!

Amen! Exactly the point I’ve tried to make for what – the last two years? If the locals really tried to make money serving breakfast the way they do making lunch and supper, that would be fine with me. But they don’t so…. come on back Mama Ralphaels, please!

eddie_the_ex_cabana_boy, April 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

Don’t forget to support local small town volunteer fire fighter departments!

(The almost ALWAYS have the quickest and best breakfasts!)

YUMMMM!! (Omlets!)

jwsknk, April 12, 2012 at 9:54 am

Michrider: I just hope the local groups can cook pancakes for 15,000 people!!!!

make that 14,999, you can have mine, they sit like a ton of bricks for miles and miles and miles, for me anyway. I’ll grab a begal, or cinnamon roll, pr maybe some other pastery with chocolate milk or juice or fruit cup (if you leave the bananas out). And some of that stuff they can be up all night getting ready. One town last year, (2 years ago?) had a fruit cup buffet, trays of berries and fresh cut fruit and you filled your own cup.

Michrider !!!, April 12, 2012 at 10:38 am

jwsknk: make that 14,999, you can have mine, they sit like a ton of bricks for miles and miles and miles, for me anyway. I’ll grab a begal, or cinnamon roll, pr maybe some other pastery with chocolate milk or juice or fruit cup (if you leave the bananas out). And some of that stuff they can be up all night getting ready. One town last year, (2 years ago?) had a fruit cup buffet, trays of berries and fresh cut fruit and you filled your own cup.

I’ll take pancakes from locals and/or Chris Cakes. Nothing gets me down thru most of the day like a mess of of dough-balls and snausages!!!!!

barbara45000, April 12, 2012 at 12:03 pm

The main thing on my Ragbrai bucket list, I hate lists, is to arrive in one piece, go home in one piece and discover TONS of fun-filled memories…and remember, what happens on Ragbrai doesn’t ALWAYS stay on Ragbrai. You’ll be busting to tell what happened, as the adventure is THAT much fun. Seriously though, get your time on the bike in during training and just go for the adventure of your life because that is what Ragbrai is all about…an adventure on two-wheels…HAVE FUN!!! You can arrive at Ragbrai with a certain list of things to do but don’t be surprised if you get there and don’t accomplish some things on your list because you were busy having too much fun and discovering things THAT weren’t on your list. :-D

Michael Knapp, April 14, 2012 at 12:24 am

RAGBRAI —It’s Iowan for Mardi Gras on wheels!

Just Krusin, April 14, 2012 at 7:18 am

If you pass a slow rider wearing goofy striped socks slow down and say hi, it’s Carter, the last one around who has ridden every day of every RAGBRAI. Just don’t start talking politics with him.

bigdfromaz, April 14, 2012 at 7:53 am

Fall over while clipped in at a stop.

Peggy Kerr, April 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm

bigdfromaz: Fall over while clipped in at a stop.

I laughed out loud at this one. Been there & done that coming into Davenport last year. It was the area with no curb and no shoulder, a narrow part-blacktop/part-gravel back road on outskirts. VERY hilly with driveways that sloped down from road. My friend was freaking over the tar and gravel stuck to her tires – remember the melted tar??? – anyway, she thought something was wrong with her bike. She pulled intoone of the sloping loose-gravel driveways unexpectedly, and I tried to follow without being ready. I was braking hard, and just as I started to unclip my left foot, the slope of the drive caused my bike to lean right. Yup – next thing I know I am helplessly falling toward the right with my right foot still clipped in. Worse yet, there was a couple sitting in front of their garage in lawn chairs who witnessed the entire thing. My helmet protected my noggin, but I had a gigantic hematoma on my right hip that took weeks to fade. Moral of this story is Ride Your Own Ride. I should have cruised on ahead until I found a spot I felt comfortable stopping.

Anyway, it’s not funny, but it is. I don’t know a single biker who hasn’t done it. You should edit the item on your Bucket List to, “Fall over while clipped in at a stop WHILE SPECTATORS ARE WATCHING.”

SFC JKL 2, April 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Sunny7- Our group once had a guy join us whose only ambition was to get to the overnight town as fast as he could,

Tell your friend to try BRAG, he’ll love it. My friends who ride it tell me the goal is to get to the next overnight town before the hotel quits serving breakfast. They tell me it’s “fun” but I can’t figure out how…

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI