RAGBRAI College Spirit Jersey Day

Coralville is anxious to welcome you and celebrate this new annual tradition.  We encourage all riders to pack and wear your favorite school jersey as you travel from the land of the Pioneers (Grinnell College) to the home of the Hawkeyes. Even you Cyclone fans will be welcomed with open arms at the end of this 74-mile day!  🙂

Go Hawks!

36 Replies

BenEClone, April 28, 2011 at 11:06 am

And you Cyclones, keep the Redbirds in mind.  With the collapse of the Big 12, alot of alumns have a pipe dream (in a land far far far away…) that we may move up someday and become conference foes.  I will be the first to admit that there are alot of other better athletic schools that would fit, but we just like to dream about being in a big boy league someday. 

I wouldn’t mind another ISU and/or Northern Illinois.  Bring it up on Cyclonefanatic.com.

hallyhall, April 29, 2011 at 7:14 am

I have to admit it’s nice to see that they got all 3 state schools (plus the big private one) involved and had new jersey designs put together.  And it’s nice to see that the Hawkeye one isn’t so heavy with the color black like my old one is.

Does anyone figure there’s any sort of design on the back of each of them?  There isn’t any front/back pictures on the site.

http://shop.ragbrai.org/home.php?cat=314

jwsknk, April 29, 2011 at 7:31 am

Cynic statement follows:
So the real reason behind this is so the the Register can sell exclusive RAGBRAI/College jerseys for $70 and  &25 technical T’s? and why no picture of the bask?

ngless, April 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm

hallyhall said:

Does anyone figure there’s any sort of design on the back of each of them?  There isn’t any front/back pictures on the site.

http://shop.ragbrai.org/home.php?cat=314

jwsknk: I don’t think you’re being cynical.  If you notice the logo for the ISU jersey isn’t even the current logo.  In otherwords, RAGBRAI could develop those jerseys without so much as asking the university for permission.  I don’t think hallyhall is correct in the assumption that the schools were involved with the making of these.  I agree with jwsknk, this is simply a money maker for the register.

Personally I’d rather buy a jersey with the official logo so I know that the college is at least getting a licensing fee dollar or two.

Sandaltan ., April 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm

RAGBRAI is excited to announce the inaugural RAGBRAI College Spirit Day.
RAGBRAI in collaboration with the universities of Drake, Iowa, Iowa
State and Northern Iowa will encourage all riders, alumni and fans to
celebrate and show their college spirit on Friday, July 29 from Grinnell
to Coralville.

The announcement says the schools were in on this effort.

RIDE RIGHT

Sandaltan ., April 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Just happy to see a Drake jersey after years of grousing about the lack of a jersey.

RIDE RIGHT

Phil1961, April 29, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Looks like I finally have an excuse to purchase a new

Nebraska Cornhusker cycling jersey!!

GO BIG RED!!!

Hillman, April 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm

ngless said:

hallyhall said: … Does anyone figure there’s any sort of design on the back of each of them?  There isn’t any front/back pictures on the site. http://shop.ragbrai.org/home.php?cat=314

jwsknk: I don’t think you’re being cynical.  If you notice the logo for the ISU jersey isn’t even the current logo.  In otherwords, RAGBRAI could develop those jerseys without so much as asking the university for permission.  I don’t think hallyhall is correct in the assumption that the schools were involved with the making of these.  I agree with jwsknk, this is simply a money maker for the register. Personally I’d rather buy a jersey with the official logo so I know that the college is at least getting a licensing fee dollar or two.

wow, ngless, you would think since you are a clone fan you would know iowa state has a new logo. see their shop: http://cyslockerroom.com/iowastatecyclones/home.php?KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=10700&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

maybe you should criticize the iowa state athletic department for using the wrong logo too? 

since reedkennethia bought his clone jersey from bike world for $80, not too greedy in my book for the register to charge $70 for a ragbrai/clone jersey. 

no one’s forcing you to buy one, so quit yer sniveling.  i think they are pretty cool.

gordie, April 29, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Dear hallyhall,

when i see that water tower with the sqwakeye on it,  i won’t be needing a cornfield anymore.  Ragbrai goal:  water the hawkeye watertower.  go clones!

Racingmom, May 1, 2011 at 1:55 am

Great!  We’ll wear our blue & gold and bring our bruin bears to Iowa.  Great idea!

“Bicycle Bill”, May 1, 2011 at 2:24 am

AGAIN — the only red shirt that matters…….

-“BB”-

1allen, May 1, 2011 at 3:45 am

I have to agree with Bicycle Bill…the only red that matters is our Badger Red.  I see we have heard from our new Big10 member and Phil1961!  We are anticipating the Big10 opener with Nebraska for the “Battle of the Big Red” on Oct 1st…can’t wait! 
Oh ya and really looking forward to the ride, too!!

John L, May 1, 2011 at 4:04 am

LSU, LSU! I will be sporting the purple and gold! As you know purple is for royalty! Geaux Tigahs!!!!!

SFC JKL 2, May 1, 2011 at 6:34 am

1allen-   “Battle of the Big Red”

Just tell me they’re not going to come up with another stupid trophy to play for…

Phil1961, May 1, 2011 at 9:07 am

It appears that the Husker football team lost to the Wisconsin Badgers 20-21 in 1974. (3 -2 record overall).

It is going to be a lot of fun playing in the Big 10 conference against the greatest teams and the best fans in the nation.

Go Big Red!!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015