The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

ragbrai.com inaccessible from France

I was in France a week and half ago, and I was surprised to find that ragbrai.com was completely unaccessible due to European privacy regulations…. something about the website being hosted by USA Today?
if this is true, this must be really bad for Europeans looking for information.

on a positive note, I did find the French version of RAGBRAI.
It’s called l’Ardechoise.
14816 cyclists in june 2018…..

4 Replies

Sergio Osuna, July 12, 2019 at 2:20 pm

The RAGBRAI website does not comply with Europe’s GDPR and therefore inaccessible from there. The two Swedish riders on our team indicated they can’t access the site anymore. A RAGBRAI rep indicated last year there were no plans to modify the website to comply with GDPR. That’s too bad because it’s pretty cool to see riders from other countries on the ride. With Europeans not able to access the website, it’s going to be difficult to garner more interest from that part of the world.

Sandaltan ., July 12, 2019 at 3:00 pm

U S A !!

RIDE RIGHT

GP_in_SD , July 13, 2019 at 12:06 pm

I’m living in Europe this summer and therefore won’t make Ragbrai 🙁 but have been reading the forums. I use a VPN so that I can log in through a US IP address and get local news etc. I just tested by turning the VPN off and sure enough, here in Barcelona, I got the USA Today notice that I was in the EU and couldn’t get access. Turned the VPN back on and still couldn’t get back onto ragbrai.com. Had to clear the cookies USA Today left and then was able to access again.

DenBiker, July 13, 2019 at 1:43 pm

I ran into the same USA Today block when I was traveling in Portugal, Ireland and England earlier this year. Fortunately I had taken care of all of our team’s needs before I left.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014