RAGBRAI decision April 15

From today’s Register, a decision about RAGBRAI 2020 will be made April 15.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/2020/04/06/coronavirus-threatens-des-moines-summer-events-ragbrai-state-fair/5095265002/

Also…Andrea Parrott is back.

This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by dukester.

This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by dukester.

95 Replies

cheymtn70, April 9, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Everybody’s itching to get the country “open” again. I’m seeing that the current occupant of the White House is shooting for June 1st. We will see a 2nd wave during the summer, although nobody can predict the amplitude at this time. Everyone of any notable expertise in virology sees an uptick in the fall. (It’s important to note that the flu pandemic of 17-18 actually lasted until 1920.) There is an excellent white paper from the American Enterprise Institute (conservative think tank) dealing with what it will take to return to a semblance of economic and social normalcy. It’s on their website or just google AEI coronavirus. I have tremendous respect for Dr. Scott Gottlieb. He’s a straight shooter. There are some excellent videos of his appearances on CNBC on YouTube. This is not going to be done with in June or July. He’s looking at two years for a vaccine. I’m just shocked that RAGBRAI is continuing to advertise the Bacoon Ride.

Randall Murphy, April 9, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Just another point of view but we have spent a lot of time discussing whether we will have the opportunity to ride this year but I’ve been asking myself another question. Given the opportunity, do I want to go? I really, really want to ride Ragbrai this year but I don’t know that it makes sense to expose our hosts to all of us. Easing up on ‘stay at home’ strict social distancing should be more like wading into shallow water than doing a cannonball into the deep end and I don’t see how Ragbrai isn’t a cannonball type event. History can be a a harsh judge and I don’t want to look back at this year and see a Covid map of Iowa that strangely looks like our route map. I’m not at all convinced that this would be the outcome but it might be and I don’t think that I want to contribute to that possibility. This pandemic too shall pass and unless there is a very good plan to keep our hosts (and us) safe I think that I’ll be seeing you all next year. I did pay my registration fees though, just in case.

cheymtn70, April 9, 2020 at 3:34 pm

I like your comment referencing the horrific possibility of a COVID map that looks like our route map. That would be the death knell of RAGBRAI. Better to wait a year (or two) and have a safe and enjoyable ride for everyone.

Mike Howe, April 9, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Heres another point of view…. sounds like the Governor of Iowa has been slow to issue any kind of stay at home orders or place any restrictions on people like most other states. With the lack of restrictions it may not be cyclists traveling to Ragbrai that increase the cases of coronavirus but Iowas own governors faikure to issue any kind of shelter in place orders etc. Maybe Ragbrai is taking this into consideration. Just a thought.

Sandaltan ., April 9, 2020 at 6:00 pm

Uncle Kraig: I have been thinking about dinner at Archie’s Waeside & Blue Bunny ice cream for a couple of hours. I will go on wishing.

RIDE RIGHT

Lee Fillian, April 10, 2020 at 9:09 am

Heres another point of view…. sounds like the Governor of Iowa has been slow to issue any kind of stay at home orders or place any restrictions on people like most other states. With the lack of restrictions it may not be cyclists traveling to Ragbrai that increase the cases of coronavirus but Iowas own governors faikure to issue any kind of shelter in place orders etc. Maybe Ragbrai is taking this into consideration. Just a thought.

Iowa restrictions are very similar to the Stay At Home states.
We can only go out for groceries, pharmacy and medical. We can go outside for exercise but have to stay at least 6 feet from others.
Most businesses are closed.

This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Lee Fillian.

Mike Howe, April 10, 2020 at 1:40 pm

Last I saw Iowa was one of five states with no stay at home orders. That was just a few days ago. Something must have changed since then.

Lee Fillian, April 10, 2020 at 4:43 pm

Last I saw Iowa was one of five states with no stay at home orders. That was just a few days ago. Something must have changed since then.

Nothing has changed, we have been shut down for 3.5 weeks.
Iowa is not listed as a Stay at Home State but Dr Fauci told Gov Kim Reynolds Iowa restrictions were similar the Stay at Home States and were following the guidelines he wanted.
Saying Iowa has no restrictions is totally false.

Lee Fillian, April 10, 2020 at 5:00 pm

For anyone who wants to follow how things are going in Iowa here’s the state website.
https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/

If you click on Current Status it will give you the stats and
a map with the number of cases in each county.
The site is updated each day.

KenH, April 10, 2020 at 10:30 pm

He didn’t issue it as an order but yesterday the governor of Illinois said it might be wise to cancel all large public events this summer. There are starting to be signs that current efforts are flattening the curve. Yesterday the Illinois governor also said he believes Illinois is “bending” the curve. I guess that is what you say when you aren’t sure? We haven’t really even begun to test people with kits that can detect those who have had the virus but did not get very sick. Until that is done we don’t know if we really have flattened the curve and left a large population susceptible to the virus or if the virus has run its course through the population in spite of the curve flattening efforts and we now have a fairly effective herd immunity. That is one factor that has to be taken into account when making decisions about late summer events and of course it does not favor holding RAGBRAI this year. Some countries are starting to see second waves in their still susceptible populations and since we have done the same things they have done we may be susceptible to a second wave too. I don’t want to say this but I think a cancellation would be the wisest choice. We probably have to have either a vaccine or a proven effective treatment that will squash the hospitalization and fatality rates before we can make any other choice.

trknight, April 11, 2020 at 5:29 am

RAGBRAI, as in the past, could be a “perfect storm” for the virus to take off. For those that think it will go away in the summer, why has it taken off in warm climates? If RAGBRAI is held this summer, I would expect waves of cancellations from riders and vendors and the “embrace” of the communities the ride passes through would be mostly missing. It would take only a handful of asymptomatic positives or some not yet showing symptoms to potentially lead to thousands of susceptible people (not just those involved on the ride but beyond) becoming positives of which many could get very ill. And, sadly, some deaths.

KenH, April 11, 2020 at 9:57 pm

I hear on TV just now that Burning Man, scheduled for late August, has been canceled.

I suppose we could have a Zwift RAGBRAI. Does Beekmans FedEx ice cream orders in dry ice?

mootsman, April 12, 2020 at 7:35 am

There is conflicting data on warmer temperatures effect in warmer climates. Many warm climates have low rates of infection. A few.like Florida have higher rates but are popular places for people from the north to have condos in to flee to.

Maybe everyone just picks their own route and week and rides their own ride as a bagger.

Iowa_Born Eastern_River, April 12, 2020 at 10:14 am

Maybe everyone just picks their own route and week and rides their own ride as a bagger.

Planning has been difficult for any bicycle tours, so my plan has been “flexibility”. My first (pre-Pandemic) plan was the desert southwest; despite the ease of social distancing in those parts, I worry about resupply (of even water) in some of the more remote stretches.

I can carry supplies and even water for a couple of days between resupplies, but might keep myself closer to towns anyway, just to account for unexpected business closures and such. It’s an interesting opportunity to trace the Mississippi River, or maybe the Lewis and Clark Routes…

jelly0317, April 13, 2020 at 5:06 pm

New date: Monday, April 20th

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015