RAGBRAI decision April 15

From today’s Register, a decision about RAGBRAI 2020 will be made April 15.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/2020/04/06/coronavirus-threatens-des-moines-summer-events-ragbrai-state-fair/5095265002/

Also…Andrea Parrott is back.

This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by dukester.

This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by dukester.

95 Replies

mootsman, April 17, 2020 at 10:13 am

We know CV kills, but so do so many other things. Suppressing the economy has its own risk of death. If Ragbrai does not happen, how many businesses and non-profit groups will die along with the financial stability those businesses supply to their communities? Ragbrai is more than a bike ride to the state of Iowa, it is a major economic driver.

480,000 die each year from smoking but the government doesn’t shut that down because of the tabacco lobby. So why the extreme measures for the CV panic-demic.

This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

klkoopman, April 17, 2020 at 11:47 am

………….because smoking related illnesses are not contagious. Your elderly father will not die if you were diagnosed with lung cancer.

LawnchairMan, April 17, 2020 at 12:14 pm

My Dad used to tell me that my freedoms end at his nose. So, if a person wants to drink and kill his own brain cells that’s fine. If he want’s to smoke and it causes him to get emphysema, that’s his choice. But it’s not OK for the drunk to get behind a wheel and injure someone else. It’s not OK to give pulmonary problems to someone else from second-hand smoke.
We can see who’s smoking or drinking, the difference here is that we can’t see who has Covid-19. I can avoid dying from lung cancer by not smoking. Social distancing is the ONLY thing I can do now to reduce the chance of me getting Covid-19.
If you want to show how “brave” you are and risk getting Covid-19 by cycling across Iowa, that’s fine. Just ensure you don’t spread it to anyone else. That’s not your right!

mootsman, April 17, 2020 at 1:09 pm

But its cool to get people addicted to smoking when they are kids before their brain is fully formed and making rational decisions yet. There are 2 differences here. 1) One is an industry that makes lots of money and lobbies (pays off) congress and 2) smoking kills far more people every year then CV ever will.

Its OK for politicians to let far more people die from smoking because people are making money off it? And no one has ever died of 2nd hand smoke either right?

The 17-18 flu season killed 61,000 in the US. That’s the current CV prediction. And people spread that each year to each other and the elderly are especially vulnerable to that also.

This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by mootsman.

mootsman, April 17, 2020 at 1:31 pm

41,000 of the 480,000 annual US deaths are from 2nd hand smoke. They had no choice.

David, April 17, 2020 at 1:32 pm

Well, Iowa closed all schools for the academic year and canceled all spring sports.

It is going to be awfully hard to justify opening schools for ragbrai planning meetings, hosting riders, etc. When just a month before they weren’t allowed to have school, sports or graduations.

Uncle Kraig, April 17, 2020 at 2:26 pm

I think 2020 is a foregone conclusion. The question now, as someone pointed out in a different thread, is will we ride in 2021 🙁

Covid 19 is a highly, highly contagious pandemic virus with no treatment and no vaccine. If you can’t intuitively process the difference between that and smoking…..well, I’m pretty sure no one on here is going to be able to explain it then. Stay safe out there.

bigbrad2008, April 17, 2020 at 3:12 pm

A vaccine for smoking? Cool

LawnchairMan, April 17, 2020 at 4:58 pm

Well said Uncle Kraig, but forgive me for trying to explain this one last time. The only reason our death numbers are not skyrocketing is because we have been isolating ourselves. In spite of that we have lost 32,000. If we treated Covid like we do the flu, if we didn’t social distance, we would have hundreds of thousands of deaths by now. It spreads so quickly and easily that trained hospital staff, nurses and doctors, who should know how to protect themselves, have died. Nurses and doctors have been working 16 hour days. They can’t do that indefinitely. If we don’t social distance, we won’t have staff and supplies to go around. People will die from other causes just because there will be no one to treat them. Mootsman, you are correct that smoking death numbers are horrible. I don’t know how to change that. I do know how to minimize deaths from Covi-19.

bigbrad2008, April 17, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Read this and then please provide a link that has a p number or CI for mitigation success. https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202004.0058/v1

LawnchairMan, April 18, 2020 at 6:20 pm

According to the comments about that article, the study was invalid. Too many children were still going to school. It’s no wonder that the virus was still spreading.
I can’t give you a “p” number, but evidence that crowds spread the disease is apparent. Just look at New Orleans after Mardi Gras, or the sudden serge of cases at the Sioux Falls meat packing plant. Counting 700 cases, that is an infection rate of 1 out of every 357 people in Sioux Falls. Our state of Nevada has an infection rate of 1 out of 827 people. That would be way higher if you counted our tourists. I attribute the low rate to our governor closing businesses early and self isolation.
It may sound like I’m bragging. Sorry, this is nothing to brag about. We’ve had 151 Covid deaths in our state. A few weeks ago that would have sounded huge. No, this is definitely nothing to brag about. Please continue social distancing.

bigbrad2008, April 18, 2020 at 6:24 pm

What are your comments? The one comment was from a non scientist with no expertise

Steve Medanic, April 19, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Cant hold out much hope for this year’s ride considering that the Quebec government has issued a directive to postpone all public events scheduled through August 31, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

In this country protests for opening the country and governments such as Florida and Texas caving into such pressure are sure to trigger a second wave of COVID-19 infections and deaths. We could have learned about the second wave from the Spanish Flu. When the all clear was sounded in the fall of 1918 large gatherings led to a second wave of the flu that proved to be more deadly than the first.

This governments response seems to be “Ain’t gonna learn from the past and ain’t going to trust science.”

Stay inside people! If you go outside practice social distancing and wear a mask! You aren’t just endangering yourselves with your infantile behavior you are also endangering the health of those you interact with and especially the health of the doctors and nurses who be treating some of you.

This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Steve Medanic.

Jboz, April 19, 2020 at 7:10 pm

In this country protests for opening the country and governments such as Florida and Texas caving into such pressure are sure to trigger a second wave of COVID-19 infections and deaths.

SURE to trigger a 2nd wave??? Where is that high degree of certainty coming from? Do you have any scientific data to support that (other extrapolation based on a 103 year old pandemic)? Are you a virologist?

The social distancing protocols and business closures were not intended to prevent infection. Most virologists feel the spread is a foregone conclusion…because viruses are designed to do exactly that…spread. No, the purpose of all the closures was to “bend the curve”…also referred to as flattening the curve. This was important because the potential for an extremely fast contraction cycle would put enormous pressure on the healthcare system, including a shortage of ventilators and ICU beds. Since the curve has been successfully flattened, that risk is behind us…even if/when a 2nd wave hit, or a 3rd wave hits. Viruses happen…and they kill lots of people…EVERY YEAR. This one will too, but successfuly bending the infection curve has happened and the potential for people dying while waiting for vents is over and won’t return.

There is so much misinformation being posted here. I urge everyone to challenge yourselves to seek the truth over sensationalization and uninformed or biased opinion. Practice the Socratic method. Critical thought is more important than ever. If someone posts some crap prediction or statistic without emperical data or a source, you should take it with a huge grain of salt.

And by the way…a source (and I have many): https://nssac.bii.virginia.edu/covid-19/dashboard/

bigbrad2008, April 19, 2020 at 7:32 pm

I am a virologist, an immunologist, have used epidemiologists to assist me in viral eradication. Open it up to most individuals, establish herd immunity. there will be a wave of some sorts when we open it up. How many waves depends on if you slowly and partially open it up (many small waves) or a medium one if you go wide open. Establishing herd immunity quickly and in many is good if you do not overwhelm the health care system. Looks like we won’t. Also by delaying exposure you increase the likely hood of the virus getting into nursing homes because you have increased the time to establish HI in the rest of us. From a pure virology aspect, opening up is best. Then you add the economic issues and death that we are gearing by this social distancing, it be becomes a no brainier. Delay means more death.

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015