PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

RAGBRAI entertainer and American Idol contestant Maddie Poppe needs our vote.

Congratulations to Maddie Poppe for making it into the top 10 in American Idol. Way to go Maddie!!!!

I have a 16 year old that is an accomplished musician and on RAGBRAI I make a point to listen to the younger musicians that perform for us as I ride across the state of Iowa. Some are good and some not so much, and Maddie is at the top of the list of good. She has been performing for us during RAGBRAI for a few years and you could see from an early age that she had talent. In today’s world of over produced pop acts, and marketing hyped performers, it is so refreshing to see someone like Maddie get recognized. She is a talented singer/songwriter story teller. Katy Perry has said Maddie reminds her of herself when she was young, and just last night said she is like Joni Mitchell. Lionel Richie has said she is a complete package. You can tell the judges truly appreciate her for who, and what, she is.

There are many other top ten artists that are very good and the ability to move on will be difficult from now on. It would be great to see those in RAGBRAI Nation that have seen Maddie play and appreciate her abilities to vote for her in the remaining shows. She could use our help in the coming month to make it to the top so let’s join together and help her become the next “American Idol”.

27 Replies

Sunflower, April 24, 2018 at 2:51 pm

Bumped. Let’s keep this near the top until the show is over.

George A, April 25, 2018 at 12:17 pm

When I watch these talent shows there are many performers that have great voices and have talent but I always ask myself a few questions. One is, “Would I want to listen to them for 1 ½ to 3 hours at a show?” And secondly “Do they have enough variety in their music to be able to pull that off?” In many cases the answer to those questions is invariably no. Too many of them seem like one trick pony’s.

Maddie Poppe is captivating and I think she could pull it off. She has something special going on and she gets you to feel the essence of the music and the words she is singing. That is talent regardless of the genre. I cannot say that about most of the other top ten contestants. Classic Rock and Progressive Rock are at the top of my musical preference list and even though Cade, the Classic Rocker, is in the top ten my votes will be for Maddie.

Sunflower, April 27, 2018 at 11:43 am

Here’s a critic’s rundown of the contestants while there were still 14. I have no idea who this critic is and of course opinions are whatever…

Maddie is his favorite.

http://amp.vulture.com/2018/04/american-idol-recap-season-16-episode-13.html

George A, April 28, 2018 at 9:37 am

Maddie is great.

For the record I am not from Iowa and I do not use Pork Belly Ventures. I just have been a fan of hers for a few years and happy to see her getting big time recognition.

If she can find time to do Pork Belly again this year I would be willing to pay a cover to see her. Assuming that all the proceeds would go to her.

Sunflower, April 28, 2018 at 10:27 pm

The first 3 or 4 times I heard Maddie it was under a gazebo or on a flatbed trailer. Last year we were in a yard across the street from Pork Belly. The lady keeps her guitar case open in front of her!!

The days of her playing in the park or on the side of the street might be over!

For the record, I could make it to Clarksville in one long day on the bike. So yeah, not unbiased.

Dan Nierling, April 29, 2018 at 8:23 am

Hi all,
Maddie is a student in our Digital Mass Media program at Hawkeye Community College and I can vouch that she is as great a person as she is a singer! Please take a minute tonight to vote and support this young Iowa artist’s dream. Voting tonight is only open from 7:00-8:45pm CST. You can vote 3 ways and you can cast 10 votes in each manner. First, text “10” to 21523. Second, download the American Idol app and vote there. Third, go online to the American Idol site and vote there. I believe this link will be active again tonight. https://idolvote.abc.go.com/

George A, April 29, 2018 at 10:49 am

Dan,

Thanks for the info. Although I do not know Maddie it does not surprise me that she is as good a person as a singer. I got that feel from all her performances over the years on Ragbrai, and her interviews on Idol.

Not sure if the text info will be the same as last week. Need to keep an eye on that tonight.

Looking forward to seeing what Disney song she signs tonight.

Cory Rood, April 29, 2018 at 7:14 pm

It won’t let me vote from the app and the website, only one or the other. 🙁

George A, April 29, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Cory,

Both my wife and were able to vote using all three. Not sure why you can not.

George A, April 29, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Text 10 to 21523 for Maddie.

jdeutmeyer, April 29, 2018 at 11:39 pm

Love Maddie’s unique voice. Last year we skipped the Amish pie to make it to see her at the Muskie Lounge in Ventura. Definitely worth it. She has a facebook account and does live feeds on Wednesday nights ( even before the show Idol ). During a recent live feed she stated she intended to play RAGBRAI this year. No specifics given on place or time. Vote for her if you like her music. I bought her CD from her mother selling them from a card table by the gazeebo in a small town 2 years ago. I listen to it often. I will be voting for her.

George A, May 1, 2018 at 8:18 am

Maddie is now in the top 7. This coming weekend 2 more are sent home and the remaining 5 move on. I hope she can continue her run of fabulous performances. As Luke said this weekend I could just keep listening to her over and over again. With professionals backing her, she is getting better and better each week.

Let’s keep up the voting and help her go all the way.

W Fanning, May 1, 2018 at 8:26 am

She is good… Great song selections… Fun and Catchy…

Tking, May 4, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Good luck Maddie!

Sunflower, May 5, 2018 at 3:23 pm

I read online that Maddie has chosen to sing Prince’s “Nothing Compares to You” tomorrow night.

The version of the song most of us are familiar with was done by Sinead O’Conner.

All the contestants are singing Price songs- that’s the night’s theme- and this will really begin to show who’s who in the zoo. Everyone’s voices are starting to get strained and the only contestant to choose one of Prince’s straight forward songs is Catie who’s singing Prince-written and Bangles-performed “Manic Monday.”

I’m having a hard time imagining Maddie singing “Nothing Compares to You” but love the go-for-broke attitude.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014