RAGBRAI & How Does Warm Weather Kill Off the Coronavirus?

I get the impression RAGBRAI has nothing to fear from the Coronavirus in that warm weather should spell the end of the outbreak according to some news outlets. But does someone know why warm weather will save RAGBRAI? Either that or the US will continue to keep it well under control so no one will even think about cancelling RAGBRAI.

There are lots of myths about this virus as a popular search right now is how Corona beer causes the Conronavirus. Not sure how that got started.

Interesting fact according to my doc, the flu this year has killed thousands more people then the Coronavirus. Much of the fear seems to be a bit of an over reaction.

Don’t want to see RAGBRAI fall to the fear like the UAE Tour did:
https://www.velonews.com/2020/02/news/uae-tour-halted-after-five-stages-amid-coronavirus-threat_505611

This topic was modified 8 months ago by mootsman.

75 Replies

David Strahl, March 19, 2020 at 4:48 pm

While RAGBRAI 2020 still appears far enough out that the current virus crisis may not impact it. It should also be noted that in order for the communities to prepare for RAGBRAI Nation to visit there is substantial group work to be done. When people are told not to gather in groups could impact the ability to getting enough people together to organize all the critical elements that make up an outstanding event and community visit. The RAGBRAI Nation is compassionate and thoughtful and should be aware of this and not be too demanding regardless of what eventually happens.

Mike Howe, March 19, 2020 at 5:49 pm

If we beat this thing it will still be a month or two away. Last thing that anyone is going to want to do or should do is jump right into normal life. Its going to be a gradual return to normal living and having our normal events. Unless there is some kind of vaccine/cure on the horizon, even if there is can you imagine how people will react to trying to get it? We couldnt even act rationally when it came to getting toilet paper.

KenH, March 19, 2020 at 7:20 pm

I believe that two vaccine companies say they have one ready for testing. It is the government testing that takes 18 months. The Europeans have been aggressively testing antivirals and other drugs that might be of use and from what I hear they are having very good results from an anti malaria drug that is cheap and plentiful. They are already tested and approved for sale. There is hope on the horizon.

On another topic I remember two centerline cracks last year that were easily wide enough to swallow my 55mm tires and send me to the pavement and the hospital. Wider tires are better but you still need to be careful out there!

Larry Klaaren, March 20, 2020 at 7:22 am

Beijing ended their quarantine yesterday, 82 days after the first case was discovered in Wuhan. I don’t know how long Beijing was in quarantine. According to US reporters they were at 60 per cent normal activity the first day, with the limit being supply chain slowness. One benefit for us is that we will see how it goes in other places. If the quarantine works as designed most of the population that did not get sick should have a solid enough immunity to hold back “wild fire” distribution of the virus to the remaining unprotected population. But as I said, we get to see how it works in China and Italy.

mootsman, March 20, 2020 at 9:58 am

Chill riders. No need to fear. It will all be sorted out before the new cancellation deadline. The path forward will be obvious by then. And those that cancel out prematurely might just feel like they missed out on a great RAGBRAI instead. Imagine how much extra fun it will be on the other side of all the closings.

mcpartla, March 21, 2020 at 4:47 am

I agree and under ordinary circumstances I’d count on Ragbrai officials and my own good health and precautions to stay healthy but seeing what is happening first hand as The Florida Keyes shuts down and the little testing our government is capable of we simply have no way to measure the scope of the infection or know who has the virus. Telling us millions are being tested in the latest Trump press conference yesterday does not jive with reality where only a few thousand have been tested. Early actions were prevented by proclaiming the virus was a hoax and would be over in a couple of weeks and now holding out hope a cure is available now despite the overwhelming evidence is delusional at best. We each need to decide for ourselves to remain in place for the time being. It starts with me. Ragbrai is welcome to the $25 fee for all the 16 Ragbrais I enjoyed ‘TIL now.

Jboz, March 21, 2020 at 7:18 am

McParla – Trump did not proclaim this virus a hoax. Like him or hate him…that’s everyone’s individual choice, but please be factual and leave politics out of this. Now is the time for people to come together, not to use this virus to inflame tensions and further divide us. We are all in this together.

Even the debunking site Snopes (an organization that is generally not supportive of President Trump), had the following to say:

President Donald Trump likened the Democrats’ criticism of his administration’s response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying “this is their new hoax.”

…and

Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

LawnchairMan, March 21, 2020 at 11:07 am

Trump definitely downplayed the corona virus when it first got to the US. He said it was under control and that the case numbers would go down, not up. He said it might “disappear by a “miracle” or vanish by April with the warmer weather. Calling the virus a hoax is in line with this. His claim that he was referring to the Democrats criticism is just back-treading. Now he is saying he always took the virus seriously. if he had, we wouldn’t be two weeks behind in preparations. Actually, it is WAY more than that since in 2018 Trump allowed Bolton to shut down the pandemic response unit that Obama had started. Trump has no excuse for this to have gotten so far out of control.

This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by LawnchairMan.

Jboz, March 21, 2020 at 12:04 pm

Again, believe whatever you want…but PLEASE, politics simply does not belong on this forum. There will be plenty of time for Monday morning quarterbacking this when the dust settles. But right now the world is in the teeth of an unprecedented situation, and stoking fears and throwing around political jabs is wrong.

mootsman, March 21, 2020 at 12:08 pm

Again, believe whatever you want…but PLEASE, politics simply does not belong on this forum. There will be plenty of time for Monday morning quarterbacking this when the dust settles. But right now the world is in the teeth of an unprecedented situation, and stoking fears and throwing around political jabs is wrong.

Well put and I suspect lots of us agree. I do.

mcpartla, March 21, 2020 at 1:56 pm

I disagree … politics belongs in our conversation and letting this fool off the hook until the crisis blows over is just wrong because it’s been a crisis since he got into the office. Guy’s a crook and serial liar who didn’t know how to run a business much less lead a country.

T. Gap Woo, March 21, 2020 at 4:29 pm

To my Brethren and Sistern Ragbrai’ers,

As I have said in previous posts in prior years, “The Ragbrai forum is a place to shed light on all things cycling, not to generate heat.” Let’s leave politics out of the forum, as it sheds NO light but generates only a lot of heat.

As Daddy Woo used to say, “No fighting inside the house. If you want to fight, take it outside.”

See you along the I-O-Way in July, hopefully!

Be healthy and stay safe.

LawnchairMan, March 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Jboz,
You can’t have it both ways. If you don’t want politics on this thread, then you can’t make statements defending Trump. You claim to be just stating facts, but Trump’s use of the word “hoax” is at best open to interpretation. So, you are participating in adding politics to this thread.
I too try to keep this thread a political free zone, but I don’t agree with your “facts”, so I had to chime-in.

Jboz, March 21, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Not defending anyone. What I said was backed up by the web’s most dominant debunking site. If something is left to interpretation, then it shouldn’t be stated as fact in a politically charged statement. I will call out BS statements when I see them, especially if they are are designed to divide people or spread fear. Since the post by McPartla was loaded with inaccuracies, I will call out another one. The FL Keys were NOT “shut down”. Because of the unique geography, the Keys are turning away new visitors for now in order to protect their residence. Visitors who are already there can stay as long as they have accommodations. Existing residents can come and go as needed. Grocery stores, hardware stores, gas stations, doctors offices, and other essential services are remaining open.

Things might get worse before they get better, but spreading fear through inaccurate or misleading statements is the wrong thing to do right now.

T. Gap Woo, March 21, 2020 at 6:12 pm

Please refer to my post above.

When Daddy Woo was faced with an argumentative individual who just wouldn’t stop, he used this phrase to indicate that the discussion was over and that it was time to change the subject; I’ll use it here.

“It’ll be a nice day if it doesn’t rain!”

End of discussion.

See you along the I-O-Way in July. Hopefully!

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015